Verified Expert in Project Management
Akhilesh is a project manager who excels in IT projects, such as product and mobile applications (iOS and Android), SaaS solutions, and system migration projects. He has worn multiple hats, including scrum master and business analyst. He managed the development and release of a new product in the digital canvas industry that generated nearly ten times the estimated ROI. He is known for his thoroughness in drafting product roadmaps, strategies, and comprehensive project documentation.
- Managed three teams (14 people) and projects with an annual budget of $3 million.
- Owned the ecosystem of products—development, testing, production deployment, and production support.
- Facilitated monthly project steering committee meetings. Presented project status to stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Led new microservices development in the renowned retail industry.
- Managed, as a project manager, timelines and budget, communicated project status to stakeholders regularly, managed dependencies, and allocated resources.
- Managed multiple projects under my portfolio as a program manager.
- Acted as a scrum master, managing all dependencies with external teams, organizing Jira boards, and facilitating scrum ceremonies.
- Planned and led the product rollout right from code cut-off (developer) through multiple environments (QA, pre-Sandbox, Sandbox) to production.
- Facilitated phase gate meetings to obtain stakeholder consensus on Sandbox and production go/no-go.
- Conducted cross-functional meetings to bring together developers, quality analysts, and DevOps (deployment team) to tackle impediments to ensure a smooth rollout of product release.
- Ensured products were released as per the corporate roadmap.
- Developed communication management plan and communicated the project status to stakeholders.
Software Project Manager
- Trained multiple teams on Agile methodology (Scrum and Kanban framework). Transformed teams from Waterfall to Hybrid and then to Agile.
- Led software development projects (development and integration of back end and front end). Led mobile application projects (iOS, Android) and released to respective app stores.
- Led end-to-end new product development from discovery phase to requirements gathering, design, development, testing, maintenance, and support.
- Facilitated all sprint ceremonies (grooming, sprint planning, daily stand-up meetings, mid-sprint checkpoints, sprint reviews, sprint retrospectives, release planning and product demonstrations).
- Developed comprehensive project documentation such as detailed project plan, schedules, estimates, Gantt charts, and timely status reports.
- Set up change management processes. Managed scope change requests with proper impact analysis.
- Tracked project performance and compared against KPI (CPI, SPI, sprint velocities) and also against project success criteria.
- Managed and responded to client requests.
- Developed a communication management plan. Facilitated timely project status meetings to communicate to stakeholders.
- Implemented enterprise-wide digitalization solutions such as SAP Ariba, electronic signature solutions, digital invoice management systems, and document management systems.
- Secured savings of $500,000 annually by digitalization (reducing paper usage and storage space).
- Conducted requirements elicitation sessions with business stakeholders. Translated business requirements into functional/non functional, system security service-level architectural support requirements.
- Led complicated RFP's. Evaluated RFP responses. Organized vendor presentations, led contract negotiations, awarded contract to vendor. Managed vendor and monitored vendor performance.
- Drafted project documentation such as project charter, SOW, communication management plan, executive presentations, contracts, RAID logs, Gantt charts, WBS and project schedule, business case, project proposal, and release and transition plans.
- Managed product development and led user acceptance testing. Prepared training manuals and facilitated training sessions.
Associate Project Manager
- Managed software upgrades and migration projects for banking institutions. This project included migration of OS, browser, and software versions on various hardware devices.
- Drafted standard operating procedures and trained new team members to efficiently carry out migration activities.
- Developed project dashboards for both executives and managers in MS Excel to monitor project performance.
- Allocated and managed resources to successfully complete projects on time and within projects.
- Created detailed project documents including work plans, schedules, stakeholder management plan, communication plan, change logs, risk log, and escalation processes.
New Platform (SaaS Solution, Mobile Application) for Small, Medium-scale Enterprises
Launched several releases of this new product, which gained a large a customer base and secured ten times the estimated ROI.
Identified user personas and worked with designers to create efficient user journeys. Managed 20 developers and testers. Led the front end, back end, and mobile application development simultaneously.
Carried out user acceptance testing and deployed the product in multiple phases. Worked with sales to develop client-requested features and collaborated with LiveOps to assist with production issues supported by clients.
Spearheaded development activities while also collaborating with the hardware team.
Enterprise-wide Implementation of SAP Ariba
Launched organization-wide SAP Ariba. Trained over 100 users and digitalized contract management and RFP processes.
Spearheaded IT RFP to Identify Qualified Vendor to Develop Web Application
Awarded contract to the vendor. Secured savings of $500,000. Acted as a primary liaison between the vendor and business team, managed all dependencies, identified risks, and avoided scope creep proactively.
Worked with legal to prepare and consolidate RFP documentation (terms and conditions, timelines) and draft contract.
Categorized requirements into mandatory, rated requirements and proposed an evaluation strategy to business teams
Led end-to-end RFP, answered all vendor questions, organized oral demonstrations with vendors, evaluated proposals, negotiated and awarded the contract to vendor.
Acted as the primary contact between business and vendor during project execution and monitored vendor performance against contractually agreed SLA's.
Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering
Concordia University - Montreal, Canada
Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering
SRM University - Chennai, India
Certified Scrum Master
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)
Black Belt (Six Sigma Lean)
Management and Strategy Institute
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring