Verified Expert in Project Management
Gene is an engineer with over 20 years of experience in managing software projects for small, medium, and Fortune 500 companies. His forte is technical project management in Agile projects. Using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), he’s dramatically reduced rework and improved production quality across development teams. He’s successfully piloted global teams building native and responsive web eCommerce apps and enjoys writing and testing code and working on UX design.
- Realigned multiple Promo Forecasting Platform (PFP) teams to follow the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe ) resulting in reducing the bug rate from over 25% to 9% and increasing the velocity of the development teams by over 10%.
- Acted as scrum master and scrum master advisor changing meetings to follow Agile best practices, and encourage more timely and efficient communication.
- Implemented better planning and grooming, ensuring the stories were sized properly and contained critical acceptance criteria prior to the start of each sprint.
- Designed and implemented the architect for the payment gateway system in Excalibur, the digital transformation platform that used the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Led global development teams in successfully creating and deploying native mobile application and responsive web payment components.
- Led global development teams in successfully creating and integrating the payment processor, AWS Cloud, and legacy system back ends.
Agile Project Manager
- Led offshore development teams for the proof-of-concept Life Science Semantic Information Search Engine.
- Defined schedule and deliverables, raised risks, and hit all deadlines.
- Acted as scrum master for a portion of the contract and facilitated design and development meetings for teams in the US, Germany, UK, Ukraine, and India.
- Performed all scrum master roles for a portion of the contract while also acting as development manager for the development team in India.
Director of Software Development
- Led design efforts and managed development teams modernizing legacy print and payment systems for insurance policy management systems.
- Designed a highly scalable, highly available, Scala, microservice-based payment gateway to replace the monolithic payment system.
- Led the development teams in successfully building and deploying the new payment gateway.
- Led development teams in rebuilding the payment settlement system, so issues with unbalanced payments were resolved accurately and automatically.
- Performed all scrum master roles for the development teams.
- Led multiple development teams creating and supporting web-based insurance policy management systems.
- Led the change to Agile and Scrum methodologies which greatly improved the quality of software delivered.
- Wrote and tested code for new features and bug fixes.
- Designed, built, and tested SQL database tables and structures.
Vice President of Corporate Development
- Performed all CFO duties for a rapidly growing, local, Internet service provider which offered dial-up and dedicated Internet access and hosting services.
- Led the sale of HomeNet, prior to the dotcom collapse of 2000.
- Managed all corporate accounts and built webpages for several corporate customers.
- Conducted technical and cost-benefits analyses (after the sale,) for the acquisition of other ISPs and CLECs, resulting in several additional acquisitions.
US Air Force
- Led engineering maintenance and repair projects for tactical missile systems.
- Led and supported life cycle systems engineering activities supporting tactical missile systems for nine foreign militaries for a period of three years.
- Acted as engineering manager for a team of 35 for a period of one year.
- Managed multi-million dollar budgets and wrote dozens of statements of work.
- Provided engineering support on multi-million dollar contracts, including acceptance testing.
- Held a secret security clearance and was granted top secret clearance on as-needed, interim bases.
Payment Gateway for Royal Caribbean
Led the design and deployment of the new payment gateway.
Process Improvements at H-E-B
Implemented Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodologies resulting in many improved efficiencies.
Technical Project Manager and Scrum Master at Elsevier
Managed offshore development teams and performed scrum master duties for the proof-of-concept Life Science Semantic Information Search Engine.
Master's Degree in Engineering Management
Mercer University - Macon, Georgia, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, Georgia, USA
InfoSec & Risk Management
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring