Member since September 12, 2016
Alexandru is a self-taught digital product designer with more than nine years of experience focused on creating easy-to-use experiences for web and mobile. He started as a front-end developer and transitioned shortly thereafter into the design field. Alexandru has written for industry-leading publications with over 100,000 followers.
- UI/UX Designer2018 - 2018Emirates
Technologies: Sketch, InVision
- Helped deliver an Internal process framework app (iOS) for new and current employees to have easy access to internal processes and frameworks relevant to their user profile.
- Created a simple and modern user flow to ensure that is easy to use and intuitive.
- Considered the scalability of our processes and accommodated for this.
- Created a few iterations based on the team feedback to ensure that we are on the right track and be in sync with the brand.
- Carefully went through the documentation and made the necessary research in order to find out who exactly will use this process and why.
- Freelance UI/UX Designer2018 - 2018LEVELS GmbH & Co. KG (via Toptal)
Technologies: InVision, Photoshop, Sketch, Principle, Overflow
- Analyzed the existing design and interaction flows and learned about the company mission and values.
- Familiarized myself with the company's workflow and learned as much as possible about the current pain points.
- Improved the current interaction flows based on the current user feedback and simplified the overall user experience.
- Conducted research to see how we can incorporate good UX practices based on some of the competitors out there.
- Implemented a visual refresh to be more in sync with brand personality.
- Created a design system to better inform our decisions regarding developing and implementing various updates. The goal was to create a cohesive-and-consistent use of UI components across the entire platform.
- Recreated the user flows based on the redesign.
- Owner | Designer2018 - 2018Festivuss
Technologies: Adobe Photoshop, WordPress, WooCommerce, Front-end Development, Sketch, InVision, Principle, After Effects, Marketing
- Started a clothing and creative project that was based on the TV show, Seinfeld; due to me being a massive fan.
- Focused on creating high-quality items in a retro aesthetic that captures the essence of that lifestyle. The items are comfortable and flattering for both men and women. Printed, packed and shipped from the US and Europe.
- Managed everything from the design/brand to the development of the website.
- Created the clothing articles.
- Freelance UX Designer2018 - 2018BEAD (via Toptal)
Technologies: InVision, Sketch, After Effects, Principle
- Redesigned a platform that analyzes the real-time daily cycle of occupancy, temperature, humidity, electricity and many more metrics to help people manage their buildings.
- Created a more friendly experience for people, especially for an audience that was over 40-years-old and might not be so tech savvy. Before the redesign, they were overwhelmed by the amount of data and the experience felt complicated.
- Strove to understand the current problems of the users and then started right away to explore possible solutions for creating a better experience by creating lots of wireframes and iterate upon them.
- Overcame with design one of the main issues building administrators had with the old design—they always felt intimidated by pushing buttons. They had the impression that everything might break if they do so.
- Website Owner | Designer2017 - 2018WhoHears
Technologies: Laravel, WordPress, InVision, Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, Principle, After Effects
- Worked on a site that deals with hand-picked music gems. It helps people to discover music that they might otherwise miss and that they would likely to enjoy.
- Created an engaging way for people to discover music that is not usually played on commercial platforms.
- Designed the site, content, and branding; pretty much anything related to the product.
- Freelance User Interface and User Experience Designer2017 - 2017MOVUS (via Toptal)
Technologies: InVision, Sketch, Principle
- Designed a platform that's a remote monitoring and machine learning tool which allows engineers to collect insights from the machines.
- Started as a team with the discovery process. Took the necessary time to get a more in-depth view of the project goals, who is using the product, the competition and the visual direction we were looking for.
- Began with the wireframing process which allowed us to be in constant communication so we could easily clarify what we were after straight from the beginning.
- Involved everyone in the team in the design process allowed us to have a very good progress.
- Used the mobile-first approach to ensure that we are prioritizing what is essential.
- Created visual animations to clearly illustrate how a specific feature/element is working.
- Freelance UX/UI Designer for a Property Management Application2017 - 2017Armangil Software (via Toptal)
Technologies: InVision, Sketch
- Designed a web platform for residential apartment buildings.
- Collaborated closely on building the user interface in order to create an easy to use experience for our target audience.
- Started with a mobile-first work flow in order to prioritize the most important aspects of the user experience.
- Moved immediately to the UI design process in order to get a more clear aspect of what visual direction we were after.
- Decided, after few iterations, on the final direction and move further by completing the entire user flow of the mobile version.
- Freelance UX Designer2016 - 2017Travelers Wifi (via Toptal)
Technologies: InVision, Sketch, Principle
- Redesigned the website which offers portable wifi devices to rent for unlimited internet.
- Worked in close collaboration with the product owner for a seamless integration and presentation of a new WiFi device for renting without compromising the existing visual direction of the website.
- Provided a great user experience which was a key aspect of our collaboration.
- Explored various solutions for simplifying the entire process—from deciding which device is suitable for the client needs and the process of renting the device.
- Started with a mobile first approach—allowing us to prioritize the essential information for the potential clients.
- Created user flows and wireframes to be sure that we are on the same page and we are focusing on the important aspects first.
- Transformed the wireframes into high-fidelity prototypes without compromising the actual visual style.
- Freelance UI/UX Designer2016 - 2017AllCleared | Pardon Services Canada (via Toptal)
Technologies: InVision, Sketch
- Redesigned a platform which helps people clear their criminal record for work and travel four months faster.
- Maintained a strong communication between me and the owner which helped us to get a clear understanding of how the existing service is working and what is the final scope.
- Gained—by having enough data about how people are using the existing service and what is the target audience—a much clearer perspective of what we might need to design in order to improve the current design.
- Started with the user flow because it was something which was strongly needed because the existing one was too broad.
- Wireframed the entire user flow which was a very important part of the project, because we constantly have to iterate based on a lot of possible flows a user might take.
- Split the project into two parts—starting with the onboarding flow of the web app and finishing with the presentation of the services.
- Digital Product Designer | Co-founder2014 - 2016Outbox Vision
- Worked as a part of a small studio combining great thinkers and makers in the fields of UI/UX design, photography, and web development.
- Designed beautiful and easy-to-use products.
- Built an amazing tool for people who want to make their own website very quickly.
- Wireframed, prototyped, tested, and met with clients.
- UI/UX Designer | Front-end Developer2012 - 2014Ibiza Party People
- Worked at this startup which was the place to go for people who wanted to find a good party or to book a VIP table. My role here was more user-centered. Based on tests with the target audience, I had to get the balance right between what the users want and how easy they could get it.
- Performed one-on-one test sessions with people from the target audience.
- Wireframed, prototyped, and iterated.
- Developed the strategy, road maps, and user flows.
- Freelance UI Designer | Freelance Front-end Developer2010 - 2012Freelance Work
- Provided clean and semantic code—the process was very basic, just make something pretty to impress the visitors and put it in the browser. Back then, it wasn't so much about why to build something in a specific way. It was more about making cool things to impress the visitor and put it in the browser.
- Built websites for (almost) every industry.
- Focused on delivering high-quality code that was scalable and easy-to-maintain.
- Tried out new frameworks and best practices constantly.
- Completed credits towards a bachelor's degree in Sociology and Social Work2011 - 2013University of Bucharest - Bucharest, Romania
- Design Strategy: Design Thinking for Business Strategy and EntrepreneurshipOCTOBER 2018 - PRESENTUniversity of Sydney