Verified Expert in Project Management
Luciano has 20 years of experience in the internet market working as an interface designer, information architect, Agile project manager, and IT systems coordinator. He is skilled in nurturing customer relationships and effectively communicating to gather requirements and business understanding. He's adept in leading teams and achieving goals within budget and time requirements.
- Established a workflow to manage a team of seven developers, two QAs, and two optimization managers. Worked closely with the OM's and the tech lead to get buy-in and make the process successful.
- Brought SLA achievement from less than 50% to 100% in five months and kept it above 90% since then, with the client base increasing around 40% in that period.
- Allowed 40% cost reduction in team composition through the improved process, documentation, and task management.
Technical Project Manager
Alchera Incorporated dba SafeinHome [Toptal Projects]
- Helped the team to reach the goal two months after I joined when the team was in the middle of a phase one development endeavor, which had been extended for several months.
- Played a product management role by detailing, prioritizing, and estimating the phase two backlog. This phase was delivered in 3-months according to its original plan (six sprints) while I managed the team and the backlog.
- Organized client's other internal projects and transition from Azure DevOps to Jira. Guided evolution from Scrum to Kanban and set the stage for a portfolio management approach.
Agile Project Manager and Coach
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
- Coordinated one internal and two external teams on their go-to-market and launch effort for a mobile-web app.
- Coached their internal project manager to empower her in this coordination effort, providing guidance on approaching task execution, scope, timeline, and communication.
- Delivered the MVP scope successfully and executed the go-to-market event, held online on Feb 2022 with 100+ people attendees.
Agile Coach/Project Manager
- Conducted an agile transformation in the design department of the largest bank in Brazil (non-IT project), leading to higher performance, better prioritization, and autonomy for the teams.
- Helped people from six different hybrid teams (Accenture and bank) on their journey to agile execution in the most priority project of the largest bank in Brazil.
- Guided five scrum masters as their chapter leader, providing career counseling, active feedback, and technical background.
- Took agile practices, frameworks, and mindset to the team, product owner, management, and organization levels.
- Conducted an agile transformation on the company's multimedia production department (non-IT project), leading teams to better performance and new ways of working.
- Translated agile concepts to non-IT people, making them understand what is really behind the Agile manifesto, practices, and frameworks.
- Had open contact with middle and high management, including the department's director.
- Helped the process team to create and publish reports about productivity, schedule status, roadmap planning, people allocation, and suppliers forecast.
Scrum Master/Technology Coordinator/Project Manager
- Acted as a scrum master and technology coordinator (mid-level manager).
- Worked in a completely agile environment, with more than 50 teams all putting agile practices into action. I've conducted around 10 of these teams, up to four at the same time.
- Delivered highly performable, scalable, and usable web and mobile applications using a vast range of technology such as Java, ObjectiveC, Python, Ruby, Scala, GoLang, Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch.
- Managed up to 40 people as a coordinator, providing and asking for regular feedback, career counseling, and performance evaluation.
- Coached teams from four to 15 people as a scrum master, providing guidance on their agile journey, conducting scrum events, removing impediments, facilitating meetings, moderating conflicts, and being part of an active agile community at the company.
Agile Consultant/Project Manager
- Acted as a scrum master, product owner, and UX designer.
- Built a strong relationship with clients that were new to agile methods, making them understand the benefits of working with Agile.
- Acted as an agile coach to team members on topics related to career and agile methods.
- Led multi-disciplinary teams in agile software development projects for clients such as Ticket/Accor and Liberty Mutual.
- Owned the main account of the company, which was the biggest telecom company in Brazil.
- Managed teams from three to 10 people, including developers, designers, and copywriters.
- Owned the relationship with the client, from which I received a few positive feedbacks, especially regarding commitment and transparency.
- Initiated the first attempt to bring Agile methods to the company, training everyone on Scrum and coaching other project managers to become scrum masters and/or product owners.
Digital Wallet for Brazil's Largest Bank
Conducting the on-boarding process of Accenture's people (~50) into the project and help them on their agile journey.
The main challenges at this moment are:
• Creating a new platform: this is a whole new platform that serves as a digital wallet for customers, however, it must make use and comply with the bank's legacy systems and infrastructure. We are trying to solve this by migrating the platform to a managed external cloud service.
• On-boarding people: practically as a start-up within the bank, the project is now accelerating the hiring process and new people are arriving every day. My role is to make sure that all Accenture people have a proper onboarding process and arrive at the project ready to deliver.
• Team formation: as all teams are new, we are all running through a team formation period, thus I have to make sure (along with other Agile Coaches and Team Leaders) these teams have the right support to run their first sprints, have a clear purpose and get together to work like a real team.
New User Experience for Walmart.com Brazil
Complete facelift of Walmart.com Brazil's eCommerce website and mobile app, which led Walmart to better competition.
Luciano was directly involved during the planning phase, bringing all the teams together to discuss and come to the best solution. His role was to translate those discussions into timelines, dependencies, risk management and presentations for the executive level of the company with possible action plans and their pros and cons.
He was also deeply involved in the execution phase, leading 4 development teams to deliver their part of the project and keeping the entire project team informed and aligned about progression, dependencies, and impediments.
The project was delivered on time, on budget and with the high quality that was always expected from Walmart teams.
Promotion Engine for Walmart.com
Created a promotion engine for Walmart.com eCommerce platform, enabling promotions and product bundles for all their sites.
- ASDA already used to work with promotions, but the US platform didn't have any module do handle them
- I was responsible for gathering requirements and business needs, manage the team in Brazil, keep communication flow with and between the US and UK, report project status for the program management
- One of the biggest challenges was performance: the service APIs had an SLA limit of 50 milliseconds; we could make it down to 8ms
- From my previous experience with similar projects in Brazil, I was able to help the business people define rules and constraints for the system and create a pleasant user interface
- The module was later used in Sam's Club migration to the US platform as well
MVP for a Real Estate Startup
I managed the backlog and the team throughout the development of the MVP for this new real estate platform. I took over the project after the discovery phase and led the team to success in three months.
The initial team provided an estimate of 14 weeks to build the MVP, and it remained our target. To achieve that, I made a strong effort by working with the client to reduce the MVP scope since the initial one was not feasible within that timeframe, and also, the team was not complete until midway through that.
I wrote most of the user stories, defined acceptance criteria, collaborated with the team to clarify technical requirements, coordinated with the client to clarify business requirements, worked with the delivery manager to build the team, led all the Scrum ceremonies, and provided a weekly status report to the client and the delivery manager.
We were able to finish the MVP scope on target schedule and cost, and the client entered into "maintenance mode" after that, without the need for a project manager any longer.
Master's Degree in Information Technology
FIAP - São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Degree in Software Engineering
IBTA - São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Bachelor's Degree in Social Communication/Advertising
PUC-Campinas - Campinas, SP, Brazil
Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO I)
Professional Scrum Master Level I (PSM I)
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)