Verified Expert in Project Management
Michael excels at engineering technology, interacting with colleagues, and at developing processes to solve everyday problems for people and organizations—both large and small. As a proficient Agile product manager and design leader, he has been planning and delivering web and mobile projects for business and end consumers for the past 18 years. He also has extensive experience in strategic architecture and end-to-end solution creation.
Project Manager | Product Owner
RetailMakr (eCommerce Platform)
- Managed the development roadmap and a team of engineers to enhance and support a web-based software platform with 99.999% uptime.
- Set project strategy, direction, and priorities based on extensive user and stakeholder interviews.
- Defined company-wide tools and processes to implement Agile methodology across all teams (using tools including but not limited to Jira, Aha!, Asana, Trello, and Slack), as the company grew from processing 0 up to 10,000 orders per month.
- Grew the company from 1 to over 25 remote employees in two years and drove the development of associated processes and organizational structure for lean, continuous improvement.
- Selected and trained new team members, establishing an employee onboarding process that got new employees productive within two weeks.
- Successfully raised outside investment through authoring and presenting business overview materials and due-diligence documentation.
- Maintained business awareness of the board of directors and company executives through regular progress and timeline reporting.
- Led the creation of real-time data dashboards to support all aspects of the business, using visualization tools such as Mode Analytics.
Digital Project Manager, CTO
Brickstr (Cause Marketing Application and Network)
- Documented project features and requirements, user profiles, and user stories through in-depth business analysis and discussions with founders.
- Built an agreed-upon project plan, timeline, and budget in coordination with business owners.
- Designed overall platform and system architecture, and produced an interactive prototype of the application.
- Selected, onboarded and managed two programming teams working remotely, to deliver a native iOS app and web application and API server from concept to beta within three months.
Project Manager | Owner
Company 52 (Web Development Agency)
- Led more than 70 web and mobile projects to completion for 50+ clients in a variety of industries.
- Created and launched six online SaaS products.
- Built and led a team of designers and programmers (all remote) to execute on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Translated between visionaries and technical specialists to create project estimates, proposals, and plans.
- Negotiated contracts with small business owners and large business executives.
- Handled all of the operational aspects of the business, including strategy, resource management, team development, and customer contacts.
- Implemented Agile methodologies as scrum master for numerous simultaneous client projects, with weekly sprints and reviews and daily stand-ups.
- Coordinated closely with clients and engineering team to complete each product on spec, on budget, and on schedule (often with tight deadlines).
- Applied Kanban methodologies for ongoing project maintenance and support.
Project Manager | Founder
Glarity Media Store
- Developed a business model and web application from the ground up to produce an online media store—similar to iTunes—for a niche market.
- Defined the MVP, product requirements, feature roadmap, and user stories; all based on conversations with target users and customers.
- Recruited the team and managed team culture, leading a team of ~ten people.
- Coordinated the efforts of multiple graphic designers and programmers across the country to produce the application in Agile sprints.
- Set up and maintained the physical server infrastructure required for the project.
- Raised seed funding.
Remote Work Consulting
Built—or advised in the creation and leadership of—more than 20 successful, high-functioning remote teams.
With more than 20 years of experience in full-time remote work, I have been an integral part of forming and leading teams in partially remote, mostly remote, remote-first, and 100% remote structures.
I have learned best-practices (and what NOT to do) through personal experience at more than a dozen organizations, ranging from startups with more than ten employees to medium/large enterprises with more than 500 employees.
My first-hand contributions include (but are not limited to) the following activities:
• Evaluated and selected tools for remote team productivity.
• Established and introduced policies and practices for remote team communication and engagement.
• Interviewed, hired, trained, supervised and terminated staff and contractors, across multiple continents and time zones.
• Maintained data security and regulatory compliance.
Multi-channel Online Sales Platform
Led from ground up the development of an eCommerce marketplace sales-and-data platform for small and mid-size businesses.
While coordinating with—and catering to—more than ten distinct user groups, our team developed an elegant and user-friendly interface for a very complex set of tools used to do a variety of tasks:
• Manage products.
• Publish product listings on marketplaces such as Amazon, Walmart, and eBay.
• Adjust prices automatically based on real-time competitive market prices.
• Select the best supplier for each order based on stock availability.
• Select shipping carriers for an order based on the best cost and service.
This PHP/Laravel enterprise platform is now successfully handling eCommerce sales for hundreds of companies, using algorithms, machine learning, APIs, financial processing, security, reporting, and big data; additional features and capabilities are also being continually added.
ANS: Business Management Platform
Transformed manual business processes (paper, email, phone, fax) into a completely digital workflow.
As the project manager, I led the discovery process to define and document the business needs and requirements and worked closely with the business owner and executives to develop a multi-year project plan (including schedule and roadmap) that would digitize the entire business with a web and mobile application.
I then led a team of UX designers and programmers to produce that application using agile development processes, with bi-weekly sprints and progress reviews.
The project was a success—meeting or exceeding every goal the client had—giving them greater efficiency and profitability through new products and services.
Private, Secure Web Browser and Rewards Network
Produced a project plan and set up the tools to coordinate efforts of numerous teams.
I then populated that data into online project management tickets for use by programmers and other project collaborators.
Essentially the project is a privacy-oriented mobile and desktop browser that uses blockchain technologies for security and anonymity and an ad marketplace to provide user rewards for enabling opt-in advertising
Inventory Management System
Introduced mission-critical inventory management capabilities to an existing enterprise platform—overnight.
Using an agile development process, I led programmers to rapidly deliver a functional MVP and the stock-taker team was able to begin using it in the warehouse the very next day. This inventory management system has been gradually enhanced and is still in active use.
Brought two brand new physical products to market for a new consumer brand.
The products were manufactured internationally, then imported to and sold in the US through multiple outlets, including Amazon.com.
My role also involved reviewing and giving feedback on multiple design prototype iterations, meeting "retail-ready" packaging standards, arranging international freight/shipping logistics, US customs, warehousing, and fulfillment.
To Your Success: Business Management Application
Removed barriers to growth by replacing seven separate software tools with a single custom web application.
I led a team to design and build a custom web application to streamline the business processes—all within a firm budget—using Agile methodologies.
The new application met and exceeded the owners' goals, and has enabled a new wave of growth and profitability through new products and services. Five of the previous software tools were completely replaced, and the remaining two are now tightly coupled with the main application through API integrations.
Digital Video Purchase and Streaming Platform
Led the development from design mockup to launch for a paid streaming video learning platform.
The project was on a very tight deadline to be complete in time for a trade show and utilized Agile development methodology with weekly sprints and progress reviews.
The platform was successfully launched and our team also handled the setup of a second video platform, utilizing this code, under license, as a foundation.
Loan Portfolio Management Application
Created a proprietary core banking system for account and transaction management and interest calculation.
Built primarily with PHP and MySQL, the "core banking" system was engineered as a double-entry accounting primary ledger, to track borrower profiles and their accounts. It also handled the tracking of accrued interest, payment processing via ACH/bank network, and included a customer-facing login site.
Rainmaker Tweet2Give—Social Giving
Launched Twitter-based financial transaction processing.
Designed as an alternative to "text to give," specifically for social cause marketing and raising awareness for needs, we coordinated a roll-out with a handful of non-profits and celebrities.
As the project manager, I led engineers and a graphic designer to a rapid launch using lean, Agile development processes and coordinated the application and audit processes for service partners.
Custom CRM for BBVA Compass
Led development of a complex, internal CRM for tracking accounts and leads in a high-security, enterprise bank environment.
The application tracks thousands of data points for each of 7 million+ accounts and passed a SAS 70 (now SSAE 16) audit.
As the engineering project manager, I implemented Agile methodologies and tools to coordinate the efforts of multiple teams and vendors as we prioritized and completed the backlog of requests.
There were numerous stakeholders and expectations to manage—in a high-stakes, high-stress scenario—but we did it successfully and launched the application on time.
52 Deals Flash Sale Platform
Launched and operated a multi-city "flash sale" platform, similar to Groupon.
Our team worked closely with this business owner to develop a new application using Agile methodologies. After launch, we used a Kanban process to provide ongoing maintenance and operational support.
The project included working with designers, engineers, and multiple vendors (payment processors, email delivery, local franchisees) to maintain a very high up-time under high traffic load, and on strict schedule deadlines.
This platform served email lists of approximately 200,000 addresses, and successfully processed thousands of financial transactions per day.
Real Estate Advertising Website
Created a leading regional real estate advertising website and network (precursor to Zillow and Trulia).
I led a small team of developers and designers—over a period of several years—to meet the needs of three different stakeholder groups and evolved the site into a database-driven platform serving multiple cities and states with the content being maintained by many non-technical local representatives.
Our team was one of the earliest users of data feeds and content scraping. All done in the efforts to increase marketing reach through an online content syndication network.
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring