Verified Expert in Project Management
Ryan is a senior technical program manager with experience as an Air Force officer in the Department of Defense, the space industry, and the autonomous vehicle industry. He is a cybersecurity and project management expert, holding an MBA from the University of Notre Dame and many industry standard certifications, including PMP and CISSP. Ryan excels at leading diverse, distributed teams on technically challenging projects, ensuring deliverables meet high standards and all requirements are met.
Senior Director of Operations
Dandelion Science Corp
- Revamped the processes, procedures, and tooling for a neurotechnology company, migrating the company from Notion to Jira and instituting Agile development processes.
- Managed research, development, and experiments for the startup. Ryan led the development of their laboratory, automated the recruiting processes, and guided their experimental roadmap.
- Led the development of an AI Deep Learning system to treat visual and brain disorders. The system generates visual dynamics, optimized based on EEG signals, to deliver therapeutic effects for sufferers of visual and brain disorders.
Technical Program Manager
- Served as a technical program manager, leading software development projects and advising technology companies on project management, Agile development, and process improvement.
- Led projects from inception through discovery, planning, and implementation. Collected customer requirements, facilitated planning workshops, and led software development teams through successful implementation.
- Led a Toptal development team to build a fully-automated cloud-to-cloud backup solution for Office 365 products.
- Directed a software development team to build a mobile application for conducting mutual background checks before meeting in person.
- Revamped a healthcare technology company's implementation of Jira, improving planning, tracking, and reporting. Improved cross-team coordination and standardized data for improved metrics and reporting.
Senior Technical Program Manager
Uber Advanced Technologies Group (now Aurora Innovation)
- Spearheaded data analysis, triage, and resolution of 10,000s of incidents logged in daily on-road operations. Improved triage efficiency and visibility, slashing the backlog of issues by 80% and decreasing mission startup time by 50%.
- Managed new builds and upgrades of computers, sensors, firmware, and software for the company's autonomous vehicle fleet.
- Developed information security training and secure coding training for new hires, revamping previous training and implementing it company-wide after a merger.
- Served as resident Jira expert, revamping the project management tooling and processes for the software organization of 500+ engineers. Streamlined the quarterly planning process, reducing it from weeks to days.
Software Development Manager
- Managed three software development teams with 24 engineers, software testers, and developers for NetServices, an IT services firm with a reputation for high-quality, cost-effective solutions for the US DoD and intelligence community.
- Implemented industry-leading DevOps, Agile, and Scrum methodologies that adapt to government contracting requirements.
- Expanded and maintained a software development platform for space mission system software developers.
- Managed a software program configuring ServiceNow Software Asset Management that provided the customer with cost-saving information and ensured compliance for 10,000s users. Grew program scope and revenue from $600,000 to $2.5 million.
Software Engineering Team Manager
- Led a software engineering team that managed a dev platform for DoD space system software developers for Perspecta, Inc., which provides enterprise IT services to government customers in the US federal, state, and local markets.
- Utilized DevOps, Scrum, and Agile methodologies, which were used as a model for future government software development contracts.
- Developed the first end-to-end mapping of IT projects to DoD space mission milestones.
- Served as the cloud computing domain expert, architecting solutions to meet space system software developer needs.
Cyber Defense Project Manager
US Air Force
- Established the first cyber defense team for the JSTARS aircraft as an Air Force pilot unit.
- Built three new deployable communications packages for the Air Force, including development, testing, and accreditation. The communications package is now used by 50+ units and has been deployed worldwide.
- Managed deployment, training, and maintenance of 112 personnel and $26.7 million in communications equipment.
- Deployed twice as a flight commander managing seven personnel and $2 million in software and cryptographic equipment, supporting daily combat flight operations.
Bug Resolution for Autonomous Vehicle Operations
I established troubleshooting processes and built Jira automation and dashboards to resolve bugs found in daily autonomous vehicle operations that improved visibility and slashed total bugs by 80%, cutting mission startup time by 50%.
I analyzed millions of bugs, analyzed the data for key improvement points, and developed a plan to drive down the bug backlog. I established a new triage process, built Jira automation and dashboards, and coordinated bug resolution across the 600-engineer group. The process improvements and improved visibility decreased the bug backlog by 80%, and the mission startup time was reduced by 50%.
Jira and Planning | Healthcare Technology Company
Revamped a healthcare technology for the company's implementation of Jira, improving planning, tracking, and reporting. Improved cross-team coordination and standardized data for improved metrics and reporting.
• Standardization and cleanup
• Planning, coordination, and visibility
• Security review
• Long-term resilience
I worked with engineers and managers to understand their current Jira configuration and processes, and built a backlog of proposed improvements and implemented them while completing service requests as needed. During this three-month project, I completed about 200 service tickets, built dozens of filters, dashboards, and structures, improved planning processes, enabled advanced metrics and reporting, and improved visibility around the company. I also greatly simplified their configuration by standardizing all projects to common templates and removing total configuration items by about 50%. I reviewed their security settings, improving the governance and data security. Finally, I implemented processes and technical controls to ensure that the improvements would last long after my project ended.
Top-tier Software Developer Platform
Led three development teams that built and maintained a software development platform for 100,000+ space system software developers.
The platform contained leading industry commercial software tools for planning, developing, testing, hosting, and automating software, and supported 100,000+ users.
Cyber Mission Defense Team for Military Aircraft
Led the establishment of one of the Air Force's first mission defense teams, which are tasked with active cyber defense of military aircraft.
Selected to lead one of the Air Force's ten pilot units, I led the development of the JSTARS aircraft's first cyber defense team. I led a team that analyzed the aircraft's critical systems, set up system monitoring, and developed training for the personnel assigned to man this cyber defense system.
I led the project successfully through the discovery, design, and initial testing phases, paving the way for live use on combat missions.
Background Check Application
Directed a software development team to build a mobile application for conducting mutual background checks before meeting in person.
Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solutionhttps://www.idrive.com/office-365-mailbox-backup/
Led a Toptal development team to build a fully-automated cloud-to-cloud backup solution for Office 365 products.
The team developed a cloud-to-cloud backup solution for Office 365 services, including Outlook, OneDrive, SharePoint, and Teams. All data was retreived by automated API calls and stored in S3, MongoDB, and Elastic Beanstalk, providing a highly scallable architecture. The product was engineered for use in a multi-tenant environment with minimal configuration needed by customers.
Developed Three Tactical Communications Packages for the US Air Force
Successfully developed, tested, and accredited three new communications packages for the USAF. The equipment was valued at $26.7 million and has been deployed in combat and humanitarian missions around the world by over 50 Air Force units.
I served as the project lead, in charge of all engineering, testing, and accreditation. I led the project from the design phase through Air Force headquarters approval. Since then, communications packages have been fielded by over 50 units during combat operations and humanitarian support missions.
$2.5 Million ServiceNow Software Asset Management Program
Led a program that implemented ServiceNow Software Asset Management for a DoD software developer platform. The program supported 100,000+ users and provided the program with compliance monitoring and cost savings.
I led a proposal team to apply for the program and got selected. I then led the program from the discovery phase through implementation, meeting 100% of the requirements and deadlines. The team used ServiceNow's Discovery and Software Asset Management modules to discover the customer's assets, apply for purchased software licenses, and analyze the results for compliance and cost savings.
The successful implementation of the program led the customer to increase the scope of the project from $600,000 to $2.5 million. The program ensured software compliance for the customer and provided cost savings far exceeding the cost of the program.
Agile Pilot for a Government Program
Implemented agile management on a government contract as a methodology pilot test for the government agency. It was highly successful and led to further adoption by the agency.
The contract was highly successful in its performance, as well as the use of the new methodologies, leading to the agency's further expansion of agile management to contract implementation and requirements management. The structure of the contract, planning and management tools (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket), and adaptation of Agile to government acquisition and management were adopted by several other contracts within and without the agency.
Terravigil News Platform
Designed and managed the development of a software news application as the company founder. Known as Terravigil, the platform provides unbiased global news and weather in a single-page view that uses software to filter and rank the articles.
Terravigil was successfully launched in May 2020. The application was designed with the latest technology to maximize automation, scalability, and efficiency. It collects news from thousands of sources, filters out biased articles, and rates them with advanced software to show only the top stories.
The application is coded in React and utilizes a serverless front end. Lambda performs processing, and the data is accessed through Elasticsearch. The application is highly resilient and requires minimal overhead. It uses several API services for data processing and software integration.
Chappellet Winery in a Consulting Project
Modernized Chappellet Winery via recommendations on increasing direct-to-consumer sales and reaching a younger audience. Our team helped Chappellet successfully implement virtual wine tastings and an improved unboxing experience.
I led one of the consulting teams and was selected to present our recommendations and a follow-on project to help them implement a pop-up winery in Chicago.
Our team conducted market analysis, customer interviews, and design thinking to provide Chappellet with actionable recommendations. Our proposals included a pop-up winery, virtual wine tastings, an improved website and mobile application interface, and an enhanced unboxing experience.
Chappellet has successfully implemented the above ideas, except for the pop-up winery. The onset of COVID-19 required us to cancel the pop-up winery plan in the middle of the project but also significantly increased the success of the virtual wine tastings.
Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
University of Notre Dame - South Bend, IN
Cyberspace Operator Certification in Cyber Attack, Cyber Defense, Communications, and Information Technology
US Air Force Undergraduate Cyber Training - Biloxi, MS
Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - Worcester, MA
Applied AI Professional Certificate
Google Data Analytics
Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO)
PMI ACP - Agile Certified Practitioner
PMI - Project Management Institute
CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional
ISC2 - International Information System Security Certification Consortium
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate
PMP - Project Management Professional
PMI - Project Management Institute
Professional Scrum Master
Agile Project Management Foundation
ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring