Verified Expert in Project Management
Shihab is a project and program management professional with over a decade of experience in front-end and back-end software and infrastructure projects in large and small-scale fintech organizations. Well-versed in Agile and Waterfall, Shihab has worked with both co-located and distributed teams, guiding them through building something new while managing the surrounding change process necessary for successful adoption.
Director of Strategic Programs | M&A
- Worked with the Sr. VP of mergers and acquisitions and acted as a trusted execution partner on both companies to integrate and expand the operational capabilities of an acquired company, including building new marketing, sales, and operations teams.
- Collaborated with the VP of operations and the Sr. VP of mergers and acquisitions to introduce a new line of business for COVID-19 testing, remote lab operations, and a direct-to-consumer product platform.
- Designed a direct-to-consumer line of business with more than 30 complex health, wellness, and genetic testing products that is presently being launched. For this project, I've been working with the marketing, R&D, legal, and sales departments.
- Worked with our R&D department and lobbyists to successfully secure the company’s first-ever emergency use authorization for new testing services and products (regulatory product launch.).
- Introduced weekly reporting and structure to the sales organizations together with the VP of business development, which led to a successful refocusing of sales efforts and standardization of contracts and the onboarding process.
- Standardized operational processes and built operational competency by training and growing a team of 15 implementation managers leading to higher capacity and a faster turnaround time for client onboarding.
Agile Coach — Portfolio
- Joined as an agile coach for a portfolio of product teams and implemented consistency across planning and sprint review sessions right away to improve the alignment of dependencies and deliverables.
- Defined OKRs, the product road map, and the integrated release planning for all projects in the portfolio. Held workshops for those new to the process for better onboarding.
- Implemented standard workflows and issue types in Jira for all the teams to increase cross-team collaboration and ease of planning. Introduced a wildly popular portfolio-level road map planning tool to increase viability.
- Improved predictability and forecasting across teams through hands-on training of all standard estimation practices and standard toolsets for improved tracking.
TMX Group, Inc.
- Led the agile transformation of TMX's product delivery department, working closely with business units, IT, HR, and finance. Implemented agile delivery, financing, and performance management processes impacting more than 500 people.
- Launched to market a new trading product from business case to implementation on the Toronto Stock Exchange trading platform. Managed business, technology, and communications workstreams for the entire project working with cross-functional teams.
- Managed multiple vendors and internal teams through UX design to MVP to launch a new digital client onboarding portal that reduced the cycle time from four weeks to one week for new clients and cut down internal operation costs by about 20%.
- Upgraded the mission-critical trading infrastructure across the board and launched without any incidents over a three-year, multi-phase program. Managed business and technology stakeholder reporting and communication for all levels.
- Implemented a new project and resource management tool for all of PMO to vastly improve financial tracking. Standardized the monthly status report templates for consistency across programs.
- Oversaw the publication of a proof-of-concept report on the use of blockchain technology in the trading settlement conducted between the Bank of Canada, Payments Canada, TMX, and a third-party technology vendor.
International Financial Data Services
- Onboarded, over six months, 12 new clients onto the proprietary platform, working with cross-functional teams from both the client and internal sides. Managed technical implementation, client communications, as well as budget, risk, and schedule.
- Delivered a 15,000 effort day software release, comprising of 30-plus individual projects to production with minimal incidents. Managed governance and implementation across multiple business lines over six months.
- Rescued a highly visible client onboarding project that was in trouble due to quality and cost issues. Instituted daily check-ins with different teams and clients; identified and fixed process issues and improved client relationships quickly.
- Led the upgrade and migration of the corporate email and document management systems from Lotus Notes to Microsoft—Outlook and SharePoint— through a third-party vendor. Successfully created the roll-out strategy as well as the communication plan.
- Managed the implementation of a new software version control tool for mission-critical systems, managing high technical and reputation risk for the organization.
- Improved project status reporting and cost tracking for all PMOs by introducing new, automated status reports directly from the project tracking system.
Led the agile transformation of TMX's product delivery department, working closely with business units, IT, HR, and Finance; implemented agile delivery, financing, and performance management processes impacting more than 500 people.
Digital Onboarding Portal for Institutional Client
Digitized and launched a new digital client onboarding portal for a process that was manual and labor-intensive. Reduced the cycle time from four weeks to one week for new clients and cut down internal operation costs by about 20%.
The mandate of this project was to digitize the entire onboarding process for shorter processing times for clients, more efficient internal operations, and more dynamic storage of data internally. Working with the business leader and operations stakeholders, I identified the highest value features to be prioritized along with the ideal go-to-market schedule. I helped identify four different technology providers and vendors throughout the project and managed a team of up to 30, including vendor software developers and internal team members.
We delivered the MVP within three months and received the go-ahead for the entire program, which was delivered about a year later. I received accolades from leadership and clients on the overall management and delivery of this project.
New Trading Product Launch to Market
Launched to market a new trading product from business case to implementation on the Toronto Stock Exchange trading platform. Managed business, technology, and communications workstreams for the entire project working with cross-functional teams.
Critical Trading Infrastructure Upgrade
Upgraded the mission-critical trading infrastructure across the board and launched without any incidents, over a three year, multi-phase program. Managed business and technology stakeholder reporting and communication for all levels.
New Client Onboarding
Onboarded, over six months, 12 new clients on to the proprietary platform, working with cross-functional teams from both client and internal sides. Managed technical implementation, client communications, as well as budget, risk, and schedule.
As a project lead, I helped relationship management teams with early-stage client communications. Once the deal was closed, I led a team of 15 business analysts, developers, and infrastructure experts to implement the solution based on client specifications while managing client communications, regulatory documentation, and financials. Over six months, we saw marked improvement in the onboarding process with the cycle shorted by almost six weeks and received high praise from our clients.
Bachelor's Degree in Economics, Statistics
York University - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Digital Business Strategy
MIT School of Management
Scaled Agile Framework
Certified Scrum Master
Foundations of Project Management
University of Toronto
Certificate of Business Analysis
University of Toronto
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring