Verified Expert in Engineering
Andrew is a senior web app developer with 15+ years of experience and solid expertise with React, Node, and React Native as well as tons of SQL/NoSQL knowledge. He has performed complicated back-end API integrations for clients, including payment platforms like Stripe and PayPal along with InfusionSoft and WordPress. His extensive professional background also includes work with PHP, Laravel, Java, and Swift/iOS.
PhpStorm, WebStorm, IntelliJ, Linux, OS X, GitHub
The most amazing...
...learning experience I've had programming was writing a custom word processing application with which I wrote two novels.
Freelance Software Engineer
TulsaIO (via Toptal)
- Built a React Native mobile video chat application.
- Developed Auth0-based password-less authentication.
- Set up a Node.js API server.
- Integrated with Stripe, Dwolla, Twiliio, and Auth0.
- Developed Retreat Minder, a React/Node app that will assist in managing, planning, and finding contemplative retreats.
- Created Call2Power: a ReactNative web application that uses location services and Google Civics API to help people contact their elected representatives.
- Wrote StoryWriter, a custom word processing application that has an intuitive, tree-based project layout similar to a programming IDE, while writing my first book. I have written two books with it.
- Built MixMaster, a Mac/OS X utility designed to be used with Native Instrument’s Traktor that uses a custom algorithm to sort songs by key and BPM.
Freelance Mobile Developer
Colorado University (via Toptal)
- Building a React Native mobile application that retrieved data from Tableau data servers and presented visualizations.
Freelance Software Engineer
FirstImage (via Toptal)
- Rewrote and maintained a Laravel PHP back-end with heavy custom integration with WordPress, Stripe, Memberium, InfusonSoft, and PayPal.
Freelance Software Engineer
Traveltar (via Toptal)
- Built an iOS/Swift location aware mobile app.
Senior PHP Developer
Sound Web Solutions
- Migrated and maintained a website using Docker, Node, and WordPress Headless.
- Debugged production PHP systems as needed.
- Created WordPress plugins to customize GravityForms + PayPal checkout procedures.
Senior Java Engineer/Java Server Engineer
- Created a Pub/Sub messaging system on Amazon AWS using Vertx.io with a Hazelcast back-end.
- Assisted in managing a complex AWS server environment.
- Refactored various older Spring API functions to more modern Spring.
Web Developer and Software Engineer
- Took over development of the Magento eCommerce website. Created a test server and a development Git branch to allow for a modern, professional workflow.
- Created a completely custom sub-theme based on their design.
- Wrote custom modules to integrate with other technologies including Capsule CRM.
- Worked remotely by contract/hourly, communicating via email and phone and using Assembla to manage tickets and releases.
- Managed Amazon AWS EC2 instances using Route53, a load balancer, and various RDS instances.
Abaris (via Toptal)
- Created a REST interface for a custom application API according to supplied specifications using Spring MVC and Jersey.
- Extensively unit-tested and integration tested using test-driven development.
Senior PHP Architect and Designer
- Modernized an existing CodeIgniter web application, taking over from a previous developer. Cleaned up numerous aspects of the application, applying OO and functional design paradigms as appropriate.
- Refactored the Authorize.net payment system to use a custom-built Braintree payment library.
- Designed and managed Amazon AWS server instances.
Web Developer/Software Engineer
Pulsar Web Works
- Rewrote, in less than a week, a CodeIgniter codebase to be object-oriented, which to allowed for the proper integration of an Authorize.net payment system. Later, this refactoring paid off when the client asked us to change the payment system to Braintree—now that it was properly designed, the switch was easy.
- Created an inventory update system that linked a windows XP machine running unsupported POS software to a Magento store by creating a Visual Basic script that read the database on the client side and pushed it to a custom Magento extension on the server side, where the inventory data was parsed and translated into Magneto objects, creating any new items on the fly, as necessary, as well as updating stock and price.
- Updated and managed various Magento eCommerce stores.
University of Texas
- Worked as a major contributor to build a Groovy mainframe to a UNIX interface processing a million transactions per month.
- Migrated a build server running Jenkins, Nexus, Crucible, and Sonar from a failed hard disk to a new VM in three days.
- Refactored the university’s self-service application, a proprietary legacy web application using a non-standard procedural technology, to use an OpenAM-based authentication system.
- Designed and developed a custom library that interfaced a BonitaSoft webform application with UT’s business process layer, LDAP server, and Active Directory servers.
- Developed a Groovy script to be run regularly that searched the University of Texas' various identity systems for user accounts that have not authenticated within the previous 15 months. The script included accessing Splunk records via a REST interface; directly querying the school's Active Directory domain via a Spring template; querying an REST interface for UT's implementation of OpenAM called UTLogin; as well as making broker calls to a mainframe module via a Java API.
SmileMore React Native Cross-Platform Mobile App
Stripe/Laravel App Rebuild and WordPress Integration for FirstImage
Traveltar iOS Mobile App
Call2Power React Native iPhone App
Piano Temperament Assistant iOS Native iPhone App
Sonos Commuting Optimization Project
Custom WordPress Plugin for GravityForms + PayPal
Revamped Velocitek Control Center
Publish-Subscribe Messaging System
Custom Magento Module for PR Office Solutions
Magento CRM Integration
PepPod Site Rebuild
Mac OS X Word Processing Application
Teensy/Arduino 16-bit Arduino Controller with Delta-sigma Modulation
Process Request Interface
Arduino-based Matrix LED Display/DJ Stand
BonitaSoft Web Form Integration
Stripe, Node.js, React, Google Geocoding API
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Continuous Integration (CI), Functional Programming, Unit Testing, REST
Magento, iOS, Nexus, Amazon Web Services (AWS), OS X, WordPress, Amazon, Twilio, Linux
MySQL, Oracle SQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
Laravel, React Native, Jersey, CodeIgniter, Symfony, Cocoa, Redux, Vert.x, Spring
Git, Jenkins, Apache Maven, Gradle, GitHub, IntelliJ, WebStorm, PhpStorm, Infusionsoft, WishList Member, Auth0, Adobe Photoshop
Certificate in SEC 401: Computer Security Essentials
Sans.org - http://www.sans.org
BA Degree in Biochemistry
Rice University - Houston, TX
GIAC Security Essentials