Verified Expert in Engineering
Machine Learning Developer
Artem holds a PhD in machine learning (ML) and has seven years of experience in data structures as well as six years of ML research, two years of working at tech startups, and four years of team management. As a senior ML engineer, he has built a CV algorithm for a mobile app that reached second place in the App Store in a week with 1.5 million downloads. Artem has also worked on various other projects, including recommendation and search systems, text processing, and conventional data science.
Linux, Vim Text Editor, Jupyter Notebook, Git
The most amazing...
...project I've developed is a mobile app that became the second-best mobile app in the App Store in a week. It was sold to Snapchat along with a team.
National Research University Higher School of Economics
- Learned how to and conducted machine learning (ML) research in anomaly detection, time series, and domain adaptation algorithms. Designed and implemented new algorithms. Compared them with the existing methods.
- Wrote scientific articles about my new ML algorithms. Became the primary author of six impacting ML articles in top ML journals and a member of the Large Hadron Collider beauty (LHCb) collaboration.
- Conducted ML lectures and seminars. Co-authored several ML, deep learning (DL), and generative adversarial network (GAN) courses at Coursera and university. Developed communication skills by giving public speeches to a broad audience.
- Designed and implemented novel model-agnostic anomaly augmentation technique for tabular and image data that reached ROC AUC boost up to 0.08 higher than state-of-the-art methods in four out of six datasets. It was published in a top ML journal.
- Designed a novel anomaly detection algorithm for tabular and image data that reached ROC AUC boost up to 0.1 higher than state-of-the-art methods in five out of six datasets. It was published in the Journal of Machine Learning Research.
- Designed and implemented a novel DL change point detection algorithm for multivariate data. The algorithm boosted the change point score up to eight times compared to the existing state-of-the-art models in six out of six benchmarks.
- Applied Bayesian sparsification of classification models, making them 16 times faster with no quality decrease. Deployed the C++ model to the LHCb pipeline. The paper was published in conference proceedings.
- Designed and implemented a domain adaptation technique for effectively fitting DL models on synthetic data with no overfit. The results were published in conference proceedings.
- Designed and implemented a domain adaptation technique for effectively fitting DL models on a small fraction of domains that existed in the training dataset. The results were published in conference proceedings.
- Managed three research projects with up to six people in a team. The research included the design of a BERT-based algorithm for semi-supervised topic modeling.
Senior Machine Learning Engineer
- Designed and tested semantic segmentation algorithms to split background from a person on a selfie. Conducted experiments with postprocessing. The segmentation quality evaluated in mean intersection-over-union (IoU) was improved from 0.93 to 0.98.
- Worked on neural networks speedup and quantization. The existing segmentation models were sped up nine times.
- Implemented a real-time version of the algorithm to perform the segmentation on video at a speed of over 30 frames per second (FPS).
- Applied hair coloring using generative models and other fancy filters and masks implemented on C++.
- Helped with the deployment of a neural network to mobile devices. The app reached second place in the App Store in a week with 1.5 million downloads. It was sold to Snapchat along with a team.
Data Scientist | Scala Developer
- Implemented the first people search engine in three months working in a small team of three developers. Reached search quality with 54.5% recall at 99.9% precision and gained a lot of experience with test-driven development using JUnit and Mockito.
- Implemented and optimized Spark jobs for over 200TB data processing. Configured Spark for efficient batch processing.
- Conducted data analytics tasks for the business. Learned to present and visualize the results.
- Trained and evaluated ML models for credit scoring, reaching a 40% bad rate.
Data Scientist | Data Engineer
- Optimized the existing collaborative filtering (CF) recommendation algorithms to speed up to five times, which led to a 45% click-through rate (CTR) increase. The product was sold to VK Group along with a team.
- Designed and implemented an effective users segmentation algorithm for a cold-start problem, which led to a 70+% CTR increase, making it just 0.09% smaller than CF.
- Implemented new effective recommendations, sentiment analysis, and topic modeling algorithms.
- Made almost all the recommendation algorithms to be personalized and real-time and to be updated after every user interaction.
- Refactored the entire legacy Scala code of the recommendation engine, which was around 4,000 lines long.
- Applied data science analytics for the business and management.
- Designed a distributed data storage architecture and data flow. Sped up data loading three times.
- Managed a machine learning research team. Built sandbox, AB-testing, and CI for recommendation algorithms testing.
The project is based on a "Variational Dropout Sparsifies Deep Neural Networks" paper.
PyTorch Implementation of TIREhttps://github.com/HolyBayes/TIRE_pytorch
More information can be found in the 2020 preprint "Change Point Detection in Time Series Data Using Autoencoders with a Time-invariant Representation."
PyTorch Implementation of KL-CPDhttps://github.com/HolyBayes/klcpd
More information can be found in the 2019 paper "Kernel Change-point Detection with Auxiliary Deep Generative Models."
EM Algorithm with Automatic Relevance Determinationhttps://github.com/HolyBayes/ard-em
Python, Scala, SQL, C++
PyTorch, Pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, OpenCV, TensorFlow, PySpark
Git, RabbitMQ, DataStax
Data Science, Anomaly Detection
Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Experimental Design, Algorithms, Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs), Bayesian Inference & Modeling, Time Series Analysis, Data Structures, Recommendation Systems, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Domain Adaptation, Search, Social Networks, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Redis, Cassandra
PhD Degree in Computer Science
National Research University HSE - Moscow, Russia
Master's Degree in Computer Science
National Research University HSE - Moscow, Russia
Bachelor's Degree in Physics
Novosibirsk State University - Novosibirsk, Russia
Yandex School of Data Analysis
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring