Verified Expert in Engineering
A born technologist, Craig has been writing code for over 30 years. He is seasoned in solution and technical architecture and has led technical professionals his entire career. As a CTO, Craig has founded two startups in two very different contexts and built their products from the ground up. He enjoys building scalable cloud infrastructure using Terraform on AWS and writing React and Node.js code using TypeScript. Craig's base speed is fast, as he likes to deliver excellent projects quickly.
The most amazing...
...thing I've built from scratch is a property management SaaS completed with blockchain accounting, multi-channel communication, and multiple mobile apps.
- Worked as a technical co-founder. Built property management software as a service (SaaS) from scratch, including full-stack development and cloud infrastructure.
- Headed engineering, product, and design teams. Established software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes and standards.
- Designed and implemented a blockchain-based double-entry accounting system using AWS serverless technologies.
- Created and implemented a multichannel resident communication system using AWS serverless technologies.
- Designed and implemented multiple cross-platform mobile apps using the Expo framework and Expo Application Services (EAS).
VP of Software Engineering
- Transformed the software engineering organization using Agile principles to accelerate delivery and improve quality.
- Developed and led a project to launch a cold-chain IoT monitoring product using AWS Marketplace integrations.
- Mentored middle managers to improve the effectiveness of their coaching with individual contributors. Identified and separated low-performing contributors by developing explicit expectation documents and ensuring regular reviews.
Director of Technology
- Established a software operations center to monitor production apps, manage incidents, and ensure continuous availability. Automated many processes using Slack, Jira service desk, and PagerDuty.
- Established a business intelligence (BI) team to provide business users with insights into user behaviors. Developed the prototype ETL design and designed the architecture for data engineering across the company.
- Screened and hired hundreds of software developers, cloud infrastructure engineers, and other technical professionals to grow the engineering team from 30 to 300.
- Assessed the payment infrastructure for PCI DSS compliance and led a remediation project to separate the payment environment from other production services.
- Designed and implemented a WordPress-based intranet site for internal communications. Integrated authentication with Google Workspace to control access and allow managers to edit their department's content.
- Consulted with prospective clients to understand needs and help devise technical strategies, including staffing requirements. Screened technical personnel to ensure good matches with client projects.
- Provided support to developers and testers in an on-premise Oracle environment to ensure the successful delivery of project requirements. Developed scripts in PL/SQL affecting millions of dollars in benefits payments and thousands of beneficiaries.
- Developed pension-specific features for a custom administration tool using React and Node.js.
Manager, Systems Development
- Hired and trained an agile development team, leading them to deliver the next generation of the company's flagship software for handling B2B bank payments.
- Designed and developed Telpay Connect, an integration utility to allow users to integrate online accounting SaaS with legacy desktop software.
- Designed infrastructure for running critical apps in an on-premise environment with automated deployments driven by Jenkins.
- Designed and developed an internal PHP-based tool to send targeted marketing emails using Laravel and email APIs.
- Served in various technical leadership roles coaching and mentoring individual contributors to achieve their highest potential.
- Developed an internal reference tool using the JQuery/LAMP stack that reduced order entry errors and increased customer service agent efficiency.
- Designed and built a variety of desktop utilities for managing technical operations within the regional operations centers across Canada using C#, Windows Forms, and SQL Server Express.
- Developed XML extraction and parsing tools for call center management, including XML Stylesheet Transformations for executive reports.
- Implemented a SharePoint intranet site to serve as a communications hub as part of an organizational change management strategy. Included interactive elements and role-based access control.
Director of Technology
- Co-founded a technology startup to help First Nations manage social assistance programs, improve efficiency, and reduce fraud.
- Designed and developed flagship software using ASP.NET in a multi-tenant environment.
- Developed a desktop accounting module using C# that connected to the online service through SOAP/XML.
VUSN Community Site
Performance Optimization of React App
React, Node.js, REST APIs, Vue, jQuery
Terraform, React Apollo, Jira, Expo, Bitbucket, GitHub, Jenkins, NGINX, Apache Tomcat, Oracle Forms, Microsoft Access, Matillion ETL for Redshift, Redshift Spectrum, Figma
Agile, Scrum, REST, Business Intelligence (BI), DevOps
AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), WordPress, Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), PagerDuty, Docker, SharePoint, Mobile, iOS, Twilio
Cloud Infrastructure, Architecture, CI/CD Pipelines, IT Project Management, Technical Architecture, Full-stack, Back-end, APIs, Software Engineering, Software Architecture, Budgeting, Jira Administration, Writing & Editing, Webhooks, SaaS, MVP Design, API Integration, Front-end, Business, Agile Sprints, Agile DevOps, Agile Coaching, Procurement, EDI, SOAP, App Store, Google Play Store, Apollo Server, OpenAI GPT-4 API, ChatGPT, OpenAI GPT-3 API, Storybook
Laravel, React Native, OAuth 2, Spring, Angular, Redux, Koa, ASP, ASP.NET, Flutter
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Datadog, MongoDB, PL/SQL, XML Parsing, Redshift, Microsoft SQL Server
Master's Degree in Business Administration (MBA)
Athabasca University - Athabasca, Canada
Bachelor of Management Degree in Business Administration
Athabasca University - Athabasca, Canada
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate