Backup & Recovery Developer
Dan has 20 years of experience running Linux systems in production and has worn many hats that encompass website eCommerce, Python programming, container virtualization, continuous delivery, embedded systems, build and test automation, databases, and security. He reduced one company's AWS bill by $30,000 per month after reviewing their stack and identifying alternative scaling strategies.
ExperiencePython - 20 yearsBackup & Recovery - 20 yearsJenkins - 10 yearsAmazon Web Services (AWS) - 10 yearsTerraform - 5 yearsDocker - 5 yearsAnsible - 5 yearsKubernetes - 4 years
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, Python
The most amazing...
...thing in my career was creating seaworthy data centers on ocean vessels that mapped international shipping ports around the world.
Solutions Engineer Executive Advisor
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
- Implemented a GitOps-based release pipeline to deploy through multiple AWS environments. Worked with developers to foster a DevOps relationship that empowered developers to create and deploy their own pipelines.
- Migrated a Kubernetes cluster from AWS EKS to Azure AKS.
- Led a major project with the business continuity plan (BCP).
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Eliminated $30,000 per month from an acquired company's AWS bill after reviewing their scaling and automation strategy.
- Managed continuous integration, testing, and deployment for an embedded Android cellular device, and automated the over-the-air updates to tens of thousands of devices.
- Developed the back-end API and CI/CD for the CollegeBoard's AP student assessment and teacher dashboard system used in high school classrooms across America.
- Served as the system administrator for a digital animation movie studio.
- Operated a two-developer Drupal development company that specialized in eCommerce.
- Leveraged the free GitHub actions platform to eliminate self-hosting pet Jenkins servers when building and deploying AWS microservices.
Senior Systems Engineer
- Migrated two in-house data centers to AWS and Linode cloud providers for significant cost reductions for this global flight-matching system.
- Introduced Agile methodologies to existing development house. Automated the entire build, validate, and deliver pipeline from scratch.
- Continuously found and executed cost-saving opportunities as technologies improve for this veteran company for a decade.
- Contributed as part of the small team that won the CollegeBoard contract to build the AP student assessment application used across American classrooms.
- Leveraged Amazon SQS to manage two-way database reconciliation on a nightly basis between multiple stakeholders.
- Automated Blue/Gold production deployments in order to speed up client validation of new features.
LinePlot Production, LLC
- Acted as the UNIX administrator for a movie studio's in-house render farm.
- Automated the nightly renderings of terabytes of film data.
- Implemented the fiber-channel SAN network for artists' digital workstations.
UNIX Systems Administrator
SAIC- Science Applications International Corporation
- Designed floating datacenters for the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Naval Oceanographic, and the Army Corps of Engineers.
- Traveled most of the major seaports in America to support ongoing data collection operations.
- Provided tech support for two Rhode Island offices with over 100 employees each.
Ansible, SaltStack, AWS CloudFormation, Jenkins, Packer, Terraform, GitLab CI/CD, Dell EMC
Agile Software Development, Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), REST
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, Android, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Linode, Red Hat Linux, ARM Linux, Azure
MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis
Backup & Recovery, Disaster Recovery Plans (DRP), Cisco, APIs
Associates Degree in Computer Science
Community College of Rhode Island - Warwick, RI
Certified Kubernetes Administrator
SaltStack Certified Engineer
RedHat Certified Engineer