Consultant DBA2000 - PRESENTPGCL
Technologies: Oracle, Linux
- Managed databases for companies of all sizes.
- Rewrote a backup for over 2,000 databases using RMAN and bash.
- Solved a variety of performance problems using Statspack and AWR.
- Managed Oracle Applications instances and trained staff in its use.
- Programmed large messaging systems in PL/SQL for a financial institution.
Oracle DBA2017 - 2017ATA International (via Toptal)
Technologies: Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle 10g
- Converted data from Oracle to Microsoft SQL Server.
- Utilized Oracle internals.
- Documented the project.
Managed Service DBA2013 - 2014PGCL:Vodafone
Technologies: Oracle ASM, Oracle RAC
- Architected managed service databases using Remedy ITIL.
- Troubleshot performance across RAC clusters and multiple applications.
- Clarified how to report measure performance when 40+ databases are installed on the same server.
- Worked with rare combinations of Oracle RAC (9i) and HP-UX over Veritas cluster manager.
- Worked with a variety of Oracle versions from 7 to 11g.
Managed Service DBA2011 - 2013United Health Group
Technologies: Oracle Database
- Rewrote the backup for 2000+ databases using PL/SQL and bash.
- Assisted in the upgrade to OEM-12c.
- Changed controls as part of normal DBA tasks.
- Handled performance tuning, advising application teams on the correct way to use sequences.
- Managed performance data across 2k+ databases.
Oracle DBA/Developer2006 - 2008PGCL: Airtricity
Technologies: Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Perl, AIX, PL/SQL
- Programmed in PL/SQL for an energy billing application.
- Used Oracle Analytical functions to estimate customers' bills.
- Advised a third-party supplier on Oracle usage.
- Wrote VB applications to extract data from MS SQL.
DBA/Developer2002 - 2008PGCL: Bank of Ireland
Technologies: IBM MQ, Oracle, Oracle Designer, Solaris, VMS
- Designed and wrote a messaging system using Oracle, PL/SQL, IBM MQSI, and Swift Network.
- Wrote a data mart for Basel 2 compliance.
- Created data and process models for a messaging system.
- Used Oracle on Vax VMS basics, eventually helping migrate the database to Solaris.
- Used VMS Cobol to schedule jobs.
- Debugged Pro*C code taking data from a Reuters feed.
- Used Oracle XML to store messages.
- Wrote simple Oracle forms and reports for the front-end.
Oracle Developer2006 - 2006PGCL: Department of Social Welfare
Technologies: PL/SQL, VSS, Oracle 9i
- Trusted with the most confidential data in the state: every citizen's name, address, date of birth, and national identifier.
- Extracted data from the core government database for use in identity management.
- Used ERWIN modeling tool to design and document the solution.
- Configured Oracle replication for a reporting instance.
- Interfaced to MS SQL using Oracle's ODBC Gateway.
- Used VSS to manage source code.
Applications DBA2003 - 2004PGCL: Irish Department of Environment
Technologies: Oracle, Apache, Solaris
- Managed Oracle applications' R11 databases for the department.
- Trained departments staff in ongoing Oracle DBA tasks.
- Cloned databases using CommVault (Dell) Galaxy.
- Trained department staff in Solaris tasks.
Oracle DBA/Developer2002 - 2003SX3-Viridian
Technologies: Unix, C, PL/SQL, Reports, Forms
- Trained a team of fifteen developers in Oracle PL/SQL and forms.
- Recovered corrupted data using Oracle Pro*C.
- Used Oracle Designer to document the system.
Consultant1997 - 2000Oracle Corporation
Technologies: Applications, Oracle
- Worked as a consultant for Oracle Applications.
- Wrote large PL/SQL programs (20k+ lines) to speed up order taking.
- Wrote Oracle workflows for a purchasing system, globally implemented.
- Gained exposure to many Oracle Applications modules.
Europe Lead DBA1993 - 1995DHL Systems
Technologies: IBM Informix, Oracle
- Led database architecture for Oracle AR rollout across 20 countries.
- Architected Informix databases taken on as a temporary measure.
- Wrote a simple database deployment program in C.
- Supported application benchmarking efforts.
Oracle DBA1992 - 1993Kalamozoo
Technologies: Forms, Oracle
- Architected an Oracle database for a garage management system.
- Supported the development team, especially with Oracle Pro*C.
- Made on-site visits to customers for upgrades and ongoing monitoring.
DBA/Developer1991 - 1992Biffa Waste Services
Technologies: Oracle, Pro*C
- Wrote accounting programs in Pro*C.
Oracle Developer1990 - 1991Ove Arup Partners
Technologies: Oracle, Oracle Forms, Pro*C
- Wrote Pro*C programs for Oracle on Primos.
- Ported Pro*C programs to SunOS.
- Wrote Oracle Forms programs to support a project costing system.
Developer1988 - 1990Planning, Research, and Systems
- Wrote Oracle Forms and SQL to support a automotive statistics database.
Operator1987 - 1988Valentina of London
- Operated a Northstar Dimension computer to support a clothing manufacturer.
Developer/Operator1985 - 1987Camden and Islington NHS
- Wrote a simple appointments system using Open Access database on an Apricot Xi for Chiropodists in the health authority area.
- Carried out day to day administration tasks.