Python Developer in Oakland, CA, United States
Member since April 2, 2018
Hugh has over thirteen years of professional experience developing software for scientific and business customers. He was one of the core developers on the graph database that powers Google's semantic interpretation of search queries and has worked on mission-critical software for Los Alamos National Laboratory. His focus is on building flexible high-performance architectures that scale well and adapt to changing needs.
Back-end Architect2018 - PRESENTSkill Blaster
Technologies: AWS, Lambda, DynamoDB, Node.js
- Reduced the AWS bill by 80% by applying best practices to DynamoDB usage.
- Improved the page-load speed by 5x by prefetching and prewarming serverless APIs.
- Eliminated the need for additional Redis hosting and caching.
- Reduced the API latency by 70% by increasing parallelism and modifying DynamoDB calls.
- Proposed options for further long-term improvements.
Senior Back-end Engineer2015 - 2015Udacity
Technologies: Python, Google App Engine
- Optimized the back-end to reduce CPU usage by 70% and decreased the App Engine bill by $30,000/month.
- Migrated a legacy monolithic app engine site to AWS microservices.
- Internationalized and localized the main website for the India launch.
- Replaced the payment back-end in order to add Stripe support.
- Initiated a company-wide issue list to streamline employee processes.
Software Engineer III2012 - 2015
Technologies: C++, Graph Databases, Kubernetes
- Added OCR and object graph queries to the Android M kernel.
- Performed R&D work on a Google-scale in-memory distributed graph database.
- Wrote two optimizing query compilers (for two source languages).
- Created a visual debugger for inspecting graph diffs.
- Led the project test infrastructure improvements.
Scientist II2009 - 2011Los Alamos National Laboratory
Technologies: Python, C, C++, Hadoop
- Designed and prototyped a 100,000–node fully decentralized command-and-control framework.
- Wrote firmware patches to update network packet capture software for new 10G interfaces.
- Carried out experiments to compare architectures for a custom petabyte-scale database.
- Assisted in the design and analysis of a 10,000–subject phishing experiment.
- Managed a data analysis with a MapReduce framework.
SDE Intern2006 - 2006Microsoft
Technologies: C#, .NET, ASP
- Developed an antiphishing feedback site to coalesce IE user experiences into a knowledge database.
- Constructed prototype server frameworks to evaluate replacements for IE’s antiphishing service.
- Discovered and repaired a latent security vulnerability in the Microsoft antiphishing servers.
- Spanish Stemmer (Development)https://github.com/moredatarequired/stem-pager
A lemmatizer/stemmer to extract stemmed tokens from Spanish text to build a word-frequency table that was independent of different conjugations and word forms.
ToolsGit, Shell, Zsh, Apache Airflow
StorageAzure SQL Databases, AWS DynamoDB, SQL Server 2016, Redshift
OtherData Warehousing, Data Analysis, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Neural Networks, Orchestration
Libraries/APIsPandas, Vue.js 2, MPI, Node.js, React, OpenMP, TensorFlow, Keras
ParadigmsServerless Architecture, Test-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Agile Software Development, MapReduce
PlatformsAWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Azure, Google App Engine, CUDA, Docker
Frameworks.NET, ASP, Express.js
- Master of Science degree in Computer Science2007 - 2011New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology - Socorro, NM, USA
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science2003 - 2007Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Troy, NY, USA
- AWS Certified Developer — AssociateAUGUST 2018 - AUGUST 2021Amazon
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect — AssociateJUNE 2018 - JUNE 2021Amazon