Verified Expert in Engineering
Hugh has over thirteen years of professional experience developing software for scientific and business customers. He was one of the core developers on the graph database that powers Google's semantic interpretation of search queries and has worked on mission-critical software for Los Alamos National Laboratory. His focus is on building flexible high-performance architectures that scale well and adapt to changing needs.
PyTorch, Pandas, Python
The most amazing...
...thing I've created is an in-memory peta-scale distributed graph database.
- Reduced the AWS bill by 80% by applying best practices to DynamoDB usage.
- Improved the page-load speed by five times by prefetching and prewarming serverless APIs.
- Eliminated the need for additional Redis hosting and caching.
- Reduced the API latency by 70% by increasing parallelism and modifying DynamoDB calls.
- Proposed options for further long-term improvements.
Senior Back-end Engineer
- Optimized the back-end to reduce CPU usage by 70% and decreased the App Engine bill by $30,000/month.
- Migrated a legacy monolithic app engine site to AWS microservices.
- Internationalized and localized the main website for the India launch.
- Replaced the payment back-end in order to add Stripe support.
- Initiated a company-wide issue list to streamline employee processes.
Software Engineer III
- Added OCR and object graph queries to the Android M kernel.
- Performed R&D work on a Google-scale in-memory distributed graph database.
- Wrote two optimizing query compilers (for two source languages).
- Created a visual debugger for inspecting graph diffs.
- Led the project test infrastructure improvements.
Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Designed and prototyped a 100,000–node fully decentralized command-and-control framework.
- Wrote firmware patches to update network packet capture software for new 10G interfaces.
- Carried out experiments to compare architectures for a custom petabyte-scale database.
- Assisted in the design and analysis of a 10,000–subject phishing experiment.
- Managed a data analysis with a MapReduce framework.
- Developed an antiphishing feedback site to coalesce IE user experiences into a knowledge database.
- Constructed prototype server frameworks to evaluate replacements for IE’s antiphishing service.
- Discovered and repaired a latent security vulnerability in the Microsoft antiphishing servers.
Structured Data Extraction from Scanned PDFshttps://github.com/project-deepform/deepform
Git, Shell, Zsh, Apache Airflow
Azure SQL Databases, Amazon DynamoDB, SQL Server 2016, Redshift, Graph Databases
Data Warehouse Design, Data Warehousing, Data Analysis, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Neural Networks, Orchestration
Pandas, PyTorch, Vue 2, MPI, Node.js, React, OpenMP, TensorFlow, Keras
Serverless Architecture, Test-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Agile Software Development, MapReduce
AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Azure, Kubernetes, Google App Engine, NVIDIA CUDA, Docker
Hadoop, .NET, ASP, Express.js
Master of Science Degree in Computer Science
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology - Socorro, NM, USA
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Troy, NY, USA
AWS Certified Developer — Associate
AWS Certified Solutions Architect — Associate