Ruby on Rails Developer in Cairo, Egypt
Full-stack Software Engineer2019 - 2019Realla (via Toptal)
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Elasticsearch, Webpack, MySQL, Google places API
- Worked on developing and extending Realla, a commercial property search engine.
- Developed analytics module for aggregating and collecting system-wide events through Elasticsearch.
- Optimized Elasticsearch queries to yield more accurate and relevant results to the given search terms.
- Implemented an optimized cart checkout experience.
- Developed an audit trails module for recording activity and model changes.
- Fixed low to medium severity issues and improved the overall test coverage.
Full-stack Software Engineer2018 - 2018Stessa (via Toptal)
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Vue.js, PostgreSQL, Sidekiq, InVision, Veryfi
- Worked on developing and extending Stessa, a platform for real estate investors to track, manage, and communicate the performance of their real estate assets.
- Implemented pixel-perfect InVision designs using Vue.js as a front-end framework.
- Created reusable, modular, and complex UI components in Vue.js.
- Created API integrations with third-party services such as Veryfi.
- Improved test coverage using Rspec and Capybara.
- Contributed to enhancing the overall UI/UX by shifting from Rails server-side rendering toward a single-page application approach through the utilization of Vue.js.
Full-stack Software Engineer2017 - 2018QuadWrangle (via Toptal)
Technologies: Java, Play Framework, MongoDB, Ionic Framework, AngularJS, Neo4j, CircleCI, Angular Material
- Helped design, develop, test, and deploy the web and mobile applications of QuadWrangle, an alumni engagement platform that is used by several schools and universities across the US.
- Designed and implemented a Neo4j graph database along with the cypher queries that are capable of identifying related user profiles and figuring out the duplicate ones with a degree of confidence.
- Implemented a full shopping-cart experience that enables users make donations and gifts, buy event tickets, or purchase and customize membership packages through third-party payment processors.
- Implemented a CI/CD pipeline on CircleCI for testing and deploying code changes as well as building and signing Android packages automatically.
- Implemented a site-wide dynamic template and homepage that can be fully customized through a drag-and-drop WYSIWYG editor.
Full-stack Software Engineer2016 - 2017AdcrushMedia (via Toptal)
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, Sidekiq, Vue.js, AWS, Shopify
- Developed and maintained a Facebook Ads campaign launching platform.
- Helped productize the platform into a SaaS business model.
- Integrated with external services and platforms such as Salesforce, Amazon AWS, DigitalOcean, Shopify, Slack, Namecheap, GoDaddy, Voluum, Adespresso, and Qwaya.
- Developed analytics dashboards for calculating and forecasting campaign performance.
- Extended Froala WYSIWYG editor to provide a full-featured landing page authoring tool.
- Created a Slack notifications module along with a global error handler for bug reporting and tracking.
- Created a Rails Shopify proxy application for rendering dynamic shop content based on variable parameters.
Full-stack Software Engineer2015 - 2016Fitd, Co. (via Toptal)
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Heroku
- Developed an eCommerce MVP for clothes matching based on the user's body measurements.
- Implemented a complex set of algorithms that guarantee the proper fitting of the purchased clothing.
- Optimized the matching algorithm at the database level to ensure a smooth user experience.
- Developed a scraping and importing module for pulling the garments along with their measurements and details.
- Created a user-friendly responsive design that works well for mobile users.
Senior Technical Support Engineer2013 - 2016EMC²
Technologies: Documentum, xCP, Java, Vaadin, Ruby, Natural Language Processing, Machine Intelligence
- Provided technical support services for EMC Documentum and xCP as well.
- Assisted in recovering from production down and data loss issues.
- Developed a fully featured surveying system in Java built on top of Vaadin framework.
- Created an intelligent classifier that can predict client satisfaction and provide early warning for management.
- Built a web service that can watch over the service requests and keep them up to date with the corresponding email threads.
Software Development Engineer2012 - 2013Valeo
Technologies: Assembly, Embedded C, VHDL, C++
- Developed remote keyless entry systems for popular car brands that provided remote air conditioning as well as remote parking capabilities.
- Contributed to the development of a vehicle telematics system that allows accurate reporting of vehicle position and intelligent emergency/accident assistance.
- Accomplished unit testing and integration testing for various automotive solutions.
- Developed Ruby scripts for test automation and automatic report generation.
- Accomplished rapid prototyping in an Agile environment.
- Froala GWT Wrapper (Development)
Enhanced the wrapper to be able to upload to Google cloud storage directly without going through Google app engine.
Configured the wrapper to either use OAuth2 or signed URLs for uploading to Google cloud storage.
Performed testing and enhanced code documentation.
- FBPWn (Development)https://code.google.com/p/fbpwn/
Developed a cross-platform Java-based Facebook social engineering framework that sends friend requests to a list of Facebook profiles and polls for the acceptance notification. Once the victim accepts the invitation, it dumps all their information, photos, and friend list to a local folder.
Created a multi-threading module that is capable of running multiple jobs at the same time.
Created an extensible interface to be able to load custom developed plugins during runtime.
Enhanced the UI/UX of the application and created a sleek look and feel.
FrameworksBootstrap, Bootstrap 3, Ruby on Rails (RoR), GAE, Hibernate, Google Web Toolkit, Vaadin, Angular Material, Ionic, Play Framework, Sinatra, Ember.js, Selenium, CakePHP, Play, AngularJS, JavaServer Pages (JSP), jMonkeyEngine, HtmlUnit, Swing, GWT, Spring MVC, Spring, Aurelia, Materialize, Symfony 2, JavaBeans, Laravel, ASP.NET
Libraries/APIsOpenNLP, Shopify API, Vue.js, Selenium WebDriver, PhantomJS, Node.js, jQuery, JOGL, C3p0, JDBC, OpenGL, Salesforce API, Salesforce REST API, Authorize.Net, Stripe API, Stripe Connect, Stripe Connect API, D3.js, NVD3, Sikuli, MailChimp API, Stripe, Google Places API
ToolsJira, Subversion (SVN), Metasploit, Git, CasperJS, CircleCI, RSpec, Capistrano, Pivotal Tracker, Apache Tomcat, Zeplin, InVision, OpenVPN, Stripe Checkout, Android Device Manager, Nginx, SikuliX, Gimp, Google Web Designer, Google Analytics, Webpack
PlatformsUbuntu, EMC xCP, Linux, Java EE, Google App Engine, Shopify, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Heroku, WordPress, Joomla, Arch Linux, Android, Salesforce, Mailgun, DatumBox
StorageMySQL, NoSQL, Neo4j, AWS S3, JSON, Redis, MongoDB, Google Cloud Storage, Elasticsearch, Microsoft SQL Server
OtherWeb Scraping, Scraping, EMC Documentum, Agile Software Testing, GraphDB, Algorithms, Apps, Ajax, Selenium Automation, RESTful APIs, RESTful Web Services, Ember CLI, Data Structures, Reverse Engineering, Verification, Ubuntu Server, Stripe Payments, Shopify Design, User Experience (UX), Optimization Algorithms, Optimization, SVG, Google Material Design
ParadigmsAgile Software Development, Model View Controller (MVC), Test-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD), DevOps, REST, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Functional Programming, Penetration Testing
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering2007 - 2012Cairo University - Cairo, Egypt