AWS and Linux Developer
Ismail is a senior DevOps engineer with Linux, AWS, and Kubernetes expertise. His recent projects focused on AWS, Terraform, CI/CD, DevSecOps, and the Google Cloud Platform, and he is proficient in ArgoCD, AWS EKS, GKE, Jenkins, Docker, and Helm. Ismail is a certified Kubernetes application developer (CKAD), a certified Kubernetes administrator (CKA), an AWS certified solution architect, and an AWS certified developer with a motto: "Leave no stone unturned to fix issues."
ExperienceLinux - 20 yearsSystem Administration - 20 yearsSite Reliability Engineering (SRE) - 15 yearsDevOps - 10 yearsKubernetes - 6 yearsAWS Certified DevOps Engineer - 5 yearsGoogle Cloud Platform (GCP) - 4 yearsTerraform - 3 years
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), Terraform, Google Cloud, Linux, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Amazon EKS
The most amazing...
...projects I've done focused on building secure and reliable AWS infrastructures with Terraform.
Senior DevOps Engineer | Site Reliability Engineer
- Deployed, automated, managed, and maintained a cloud-based production system, using AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, and DigitalOcean.
- Ensured availability, performance, security, and scalability of production systems, focusing primarily on Linux environments.
- Troubleshot systems and resolved problems across various application domains and platforms. Tracked and fixed issues, using Jira and GitHub.
- Migrated from a manually managed system to a fully automated platform which included creating CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins, GitHub Actions, Argo CD, Flux, Harness, and application of GitOps methodology.
- Managed EKS, ECR, ECS, GKE, DigitalOcean Kubernetes, Docker, and Docker Compose deployments.
- Deployed AWS infrastructure (EKS, EC2, RDS, CloudFront, Route53, OpenVPN, IAM roles/policies and VPC) with Terraform.
- Deployed GKE clusters, Cloud SQL, LoadBalancer, and Compute Engine, and configured GitLab to push Docker images to the container registry.
- Built Docker images and deployed them to AWS Fargate with GitHub Actions.
- Created a Docker build pipeline with GitHub Actions, CircleCI, and Jenkins.
- Applied AWS security best practices and CIS compliance requirements; configured AWS Security Hub, AWS Config, and VPC flow; and hardened GKE cluster security.
Technical Team Lead and DevOps
- Established the technical vision and provided leadership to department heads.
- Built the development platform and managed the project, using Jira, Confluence, and GitLab.
- Managed the software development and quality assurance teams.
- Identified and integrated new technologies to drive the business strategy and enhance client relationships.
Linux/Unix System Administrator | Site Reliability Engineer
- Designed and managed a Linux (Red Hat, CentOS, and Ubuntu) and Unix infrastructure.
- Maintained security and mitigated threats as new ones were identified.
- Improved infrastructure services, performance, and reliability.
- Became a Master Affiliate of The Linux Professional Institute (LPI), managed the company's training partner relationship with the institute, and grew the Linux and FOSS communities—all in Turkey.
- Installed and maintained web, DNS, SMTP Server, and FTP on Linux.
- Assisted with shell scripting for a system and application used to automate server tasks.
- Created and maintained a secure and reliable Linux environment. Managed daily activities, including user support and system administration tasks.
International DSL TAC Engineer
- Managed the Unix servers for AWS products deployed for telecom operators.
- Provided Unix and Linux support remotely or on-site in the EMEA region.
- Matured into a successful and valued member of the Unix/DSL support team in the EMEA region.
- Developed host switch servers for debit and credit card systems in C++.
- Built a banking software solution based on internal customer requirements.
- Increased the performance of the process, which increased customer satisfaction, gained loyal customers, and maximized profitability.
Unix/Linux Systems Administrator and Developer
- Participated in designing, implementing, securing, and maintaining Linux and the Solaris ISP for its test, development, and production environment.
- Provided Linux, Solaris, and infrastructure support for internal and external clients.
- Created and modified scripts and applications to perform tasks.
- Improved the stability, security, efficiency, and scalability of the environment.
CIS Compliant AWS Infrastructure
Migration from Docker Compose to AWS EKS Cluster
Migrated all docker-compose files to k8s manifests.
Deployed AWS EKS cluster with the following components:
AWS Load Balancer Controller
Sealed Secret to keep secrets encrypted on git repository.
External DNS to manage route 53 records automatically
Argo-CD to implement GitOps methodology
IAM assume roles to access EKS cluster
Everything was deployed with Terraform.
Implement IaC Scanner for Terraform Codes for AWS Resources
Checkov is a static code analysis tool for infrastructure-as-code.
It scans cloud infrastructure provisioned using Terraform, Terraform plan, Cloudformation, AWS SAM, Kubernetes, Helm charts,Kustomize, Dockerfile, Serverless, Bicep, or ARM Templates and detects security and compliance misconfigurations using graph-based scanning.
I implemented Terraform scanning in GitHub Actions on every push. Also created scripts to use in the Harness pipeline to check Terraform code security before deploying apps to AWS. I also contributed to the Checkov open source project by submitting code fix PR, docs, and feature requests.
Bash Script, Bash, SQL, Python
Terragrunt, Jenkins Pipeline
Git, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Postfix, Docker Compose, GitHub, OpenVPN, Zabbix, AWS ELB, Terraform, AWS Fargate, Bitbucket, Amazon CloudWatch, AWS CloudTrail, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), NGINX, MongoDB Atlas, Packer, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Shell, Amazon EKS, CircleCI, Jenkins, GitLab, Docker Hub, AWS IAM, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR), GitLab CI/CD, Helm, SendGrid, Nagios, Grafana, AWS CloudFormation, Jira, Ansible, VPN, Kibana
DevOps, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), DevSecOps, Continuous Development (CD), Microservices, Continuous Deployment, Serverless Architecture
Linux, Kubernetes, Docker, DigitalOcean, FreeBSD, Ubuntu Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Red Hat Linux, Ubuntu, Unix, CentOS, AWS NLB, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Red Hat OpenShift, Azure, AWS Lambda, Solaris, Apache Kafka
Google Cloud, MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Redis, AWS Elastic File System, Redis Cache, Amazon EFS, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Google Cloud SQL, Elasticsearch, Amazon DynamoDB, Datadog
Security, IT Security
System Administration, AWS Certified Solution Architect, LPIC-1, GitOps, Qmail, Shell Scripting, GitHub Actions, AWS DevOps, AWS Transfer for SFTP, SSH, Ubuntu Server, Cloud Security, Systems Monitoring, Cloudflare, Gruntwork, Containers, CI/CD Pipelines, Linux Server Administration, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Argo CD, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), SecOps, DevOps Engineer, Identity & Access Management (IAM), Containerization, Amazon RDS, RHEL, Site Reliability, Leadership, Relational Database Services (RDS), AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, SSL Certificates, SSL Configurations, Transport Layer Security (TLS), AWS Cloud Architecture, Monitoring, AWS Certified Developer, Networking, SOC 2, Cloud Services, Kustomize, ECS, Cloud Migration, DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM), Domain DNS Setup, Spam Filtering, Email, Cloud, Prometheus, AWS CodePipeline, HAProxy, Load Balancers, SMTP, DNS, Networks, Computer Science, Harness CI/CD, Checkov
MBA in Business Administration
Istanbul Kemerburgaz University - Istanbul, Turkey
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Istanbul Technical University - Istanbul, Turkey
Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA)
Cloud Native Computing Foundation
Certified Kubernetes Application Developer Certification (CKAD)
Cloud Native Computing Foundation
AWS Certified Developer - Associate
AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate
The Linux Professional Institute — LPIC-1
The Linux Professional Institute