Verified Expert in Engineering
Jason is a high-performing technology leader and full-stack developer. Skilled in client and server side development, he designs scalable and reliable architectures and solves all sorts of complex problems. He is an excellent communicator with a deep understanding of many business problem spaces.
Git, Amazon EC2, Linux, Windows, APIs, Node.js, Jakarta EE, Java
The most amazing...
...thing I've coded is a mobile application that reads Bluetooth signals from a beacon to solve an interesting real world problem.
President/Head of Technology
Stratos Consulting Group
- Designed and implemented scalable solutions for clients.
- Created reusable components and libraries for rapid development and solutions deployment, from one project to the next.
- Performed unit, integration, regression, and capacity testing.
- Worked on product design and architecture documentation for client review.
- Performed code review and approved third-party code, integrating it into our codebase and merging it into a Git repository.
- Made heavy use of cloud infrastructure to support rapid deployment and auto-scalibility of client applications.
- Developed mobile apps for Android and iOS using native development tools and PhoneGap.
- Developed APIs in many languages and frameworks for consumption by web applications and other clients. Notable projects include a Node.js API built (using Express) and Java-based APIs using Spring Boot.
Technical Team Lead
- Worked as a scrum master for a team of eight, acting as a mentor, leader, technical contributor, strategic planner, and customer liaison.
- Was responsible for facilitating planning, reviewing, and post-mortem meetings, ensuring relevant communication was happening and ensuring technical standards were met.
- Worked on an external-facing SaaS product using primarily Java and Jakarta EE technologies.
- Led the development of a key company pillar (interoperability) from August of 2012, interfacing with teams on the west coast of the USA and the UK, managing the technical details, and communicating progress to stakeholders and the executive team.
- Developed a framework for seamless integration of our analytics tool into our web application.
- Wrote unit tests for complex portions of the codebase.
- Assisted in performing regression and capacity testing.
- Mentored junior developers on coding patterns, best practices, developing for NFR, and core technical competencies.
- Worked in Amazon EC2 to deploy, monitor, and maintain cloud-based solutions.
Research In Motion (BlackBerry)
- Worked on internal and external-facing websites and portals.
- Implemented a company-wide integrated service layer to expose a common interface and language for business types, while communicating with multiple systems seamlessly, using web services.
- Evaluated new technologies and worked in teams consisting of people from both the team and from outside of it, to determine the proper technical course of action which allowed us to meet business needs, while still using cutting-edge techniques.
- Oversaw the day-to-day operations of a high-performing team of developers (nine direct reports, four dotted-line contractors) through all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Performed high-level technical architecture design work, including system diagrams, documentation and server/infrastructure configuration and maintenance.
- Worked with Hibernate, JAX-RS, Apache Axis, and EJB to implement a company-wide integrated service layer to expose a common interface and language for business types while communicating with multiple systems seamlessly using web services.
- Used GWT and Ext-GWT extensively, to provide rich user interfaces and to create a highly-modular system, with excellent decoupling between view and services layers.
- Worked on various company websites in both Windows and Unix/Linux environments.
- Led a team for email development, using the Responsys email tool and a proprietary email tool. Helped out other team members, overseeing the development of new features and peer reviewing any work done on these systems.
- Worked on the development of batch processes to send emails and feed data to clients.
- Worked on the development of client-facing web services.
- Held meeting with clients, both internal and external, to develop business needs and plan the required steps to be taken, to achieve goals.
- Worked and thrived in an Agile development environment.
BlackBerry Expert Support Center
REST APIs, Spring REST, jQuery, jQuery Mobile, Stripe, PayPal API, GSON, JAX-RS, JAX-WS, JAXB, JMS, Node.js, Android API, Facebook API, Twitter API
Codeship, Apache OFBiz, Apache Maven, CircleCI, Asana, Jira, Jenkins, Terraform, Bamboo, Git, Subversion (SVN), Atom
Agile Software Development, Continuous Integration (CI), Scrum, Agile Project Management, Cross-platform, DevOps, Mobile Development, REST
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Windows, Firebase, Linux, Azure, Mobile, Oracle, Jakarta EE, Amazon EC2, Google App Engine, iOS, Android
Cloud, SaaS, Architecture, API Integration, Cloud Architecture, Engineering, Startups, Software Design, Full-stack, Message Queues, Software Development Management, CTO, Engineering Management, People Management, Delivery Management, Team Management, Web Development, Ant, SOAP, APIs, Apps, Ehcache, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
Hibernate, Spring Boot, JPA, Android SDK, AngularJS, GWT, Tapestry, PhoneGap, GWT-Ext, Spring, Apache Axis, JUnit, Selenium, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), JSF, Apache Struts, Express.js, JavaServer Faces, React Native
PostgreSQL, NoSQL, MongoDB, Google Cloud Datastore, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Cassandra, Memcached
Master's of Engineering Degree in Management Science
University of Waterloo - Waterloo, ON, Canada
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
University of Windsor - Windsor, ON, Canada
Build Your Own Chatbot - Level 1
Sun Certified Java Programmer