Verified Expert in Engineering
Software Engineer and Developer
Jesús excels at creating high-quality software solutions due to his unique background, which combines 9+ years of top-notch software engineering with 4+ years of machine learning and data science work in areas like natural language processing (NLP) and computer vision, empowering him to be a valuable asset at both ends of the spectrum. He's worked with a wide array of tools and technologies, such as Java, Scala, Python, TensorFlow, NLTK, OpenCV, Mongo, and PostgreSQL, among many others.
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a people counter and height detection algorithm based on computer vision techniques applied to RGB images and depth sensor data.
Founder | AI Consultant
- Authored an Amazon best-selling book on computer vision recipes using TensorFlow 2 in partnership with Packt.
- Published weekly blog articles in Spanish, elucidating machine learning and computer vision concepts at both low and high levels.
- Produced weekly Spanish video tutorials on prominent computer vision and machine learning topics, featuring comprehensive step-by-step instructions and explanations.
- Developed and openly shared the source code for numerous computer vision projects, accompanied by comprehensive comments and instructions for execution and customization.
AI Engineer | Machine Learning Engineer
- Engineered and optimized named entity recognition model using NLTK, scikit-learn, and SpaCy. This enhanced solution enhanced simplicity, speed, and reliability, successfully replacing the previous production model.
- Designed and developed a sophisticated prototype utilizing computer vision and deep learning techniques, seamlessly integrated into the accompanying software suite of cameras manufactured by a renowned Japanese electronics company.
- Automated the integration of our systems with various third-party machine learning solutions, including Google's AutoML. Simplified the process, enhancing efficiency and enabling seamless adoption of advanced technologies.
- Developed a data ingestion pipeline that breaks down legal documents stored in diverse formats, generating multiple artifacts to facilitate future and further experimentation.
- Developed a Java and Spring Boot-based RESTful framework to train NLP models for tasks like text classification, clustering, and named entity recognition. This sped up model development, resulting in improved performance and scalability.
Machine Learning Engineer
Blue Orange Digital
- Implemented the data model of an NLP-powered application to automatically tag topics of interest in pharmaceutical documents, supported by a combination of key terms and machine learning, surpassing the accuracy of human reviewers by 10%.
- Implemented a forecasting model using SARIMAX and traditional machine learning to help the sales team of an important pharmaceutical company project quarterly earnings.
- Created a computer vision solution to correct poor-resolution PDF scans, which resulted in a higher-quality text extraction through OCR.
- Maintained a Spark-powered data aggregation platform to consolidate information about high-profile brokers used by one of the biggest investment firms in the United States.
Senior Software Engineer
- Developed a customizable password policies feature in an authentication microservice that is being used in the production environment of four major clients.
- Developed and co-designed a flexible, generic, multi-channel notifications microservice that was adopted in multiple clients' production systems.
- Worked intensely on the four important microservices of the company's flagship product, which contributed to the acquisition of several new, big, and important clients.
- Created written and multimedia documentation of multiple parts of the internal architecture of our main product, which reduced the ramp-up time of new hires by 50%.
- Provided intensive and detailed training for a new team member, which resulted in a seamless role transition in a core project for a key client.
- Imparted a series of workshops focused on the development of machine learning solutions using JVM technologies.
- Optimized the database queries of a major multi-billion dollar client that helped to reduce the runtime of a critical process from two hours to nine minutes, on average.
Computer Vision Engineer
- Developed a people counter algorithm that works on RGB data from cameras installed in zenithal position, which is now being used in multiple venues throughout Colombia.
- Built a height estimator based on depth sensor information which was used to prevent the access of underage people to age-restricted areas. This solution is deployed in more than ten locations in Colombia.
- Created an algorithm to extract, correct, and merge data from an RGB-D camera, which reduced the setup and familiarization time to this particular brand of cameras.
- Worked on the development of a new version of the company's main product, replacing the monolithic architecture of the application with a microservices oriented one, which reduced the maintenance time by 50%.
- Participated in the screening and interview process of dozens of potential candidates, which resulted in the hiring of four new, highly-skilled key members for the back end, front end, and infrastructure teams.
- Designed a sandbox-like architecture of microservices based on Docker and configurable templates that allowed the company to set up systems for new clients in a fraction of the time that was needed before.
- Documented the most relevant parts of the back-end ecosystem, which greatly improved the effectiveness and productiveness of the team.
Senior Software Developer
- Migrated the previous monolithic architecture to a microservices-oriented one, which increased the scalability, response time, and overall quality of the company's product.
- Scaled and maintained the CI, test, development, and production environments.
- Led a team of three members focused on back-end development endeavors.
- Imparted a series of workshops focused on learning quickly the basics of Python, which increased the team's productivity.
- Participated in the development of the flagship product of a very important client, consisting of a secure, cloud-based, vault-like storage system.
- Implemented an online, stateful onboarding form for the biggest insurance company in Colombia (Sura), which reduced the time taken by the process from one week. on average, to only three hours.
- Fostered a culture of functional programming based solutions in the company, through a series of educational, hands-on workshops.
Virtual Concierge for Lifestyle Magazinehttps://nande.co/
This project's successful development and deployment resulted in a major increase in user engagement and satisfaction.
Lane Lines Finderhttps://github.com/jesus-a-martinez-v/advanced-lane-lines
The pipeline integrates cutting-edge methodologies, including perspective transform, camera calibration, edge detection, Gaussian blurring, and polynomial fitting, to achieve precise lane line detection and analysis.
Keras, LSTM, Scikit-learn, NumPy, Pandas, OpenCV, Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK), TensorFlow, PyTorch, PySpark
Machine Learning, Software Engineering, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Neural Networks, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 (GPT-3), OpenAI, ChatGPT, OpenAI GPT-4 API, OpenAI GPT-3 API, Language Models, Chatbots, Generative Design, FastAPI
Spring Boot, Akka, Spark
AutoML, PyCharm, RabbitMQ, Jenkins, IntelliJ IDEA, Scikit-image
Functional Programming, Data Science, REST
Linux, Docker, Apache Kafka, MacOS
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, MongoDB, NoSQL
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Universidad Simón Bolívar - Caracas, Venezuela
Computer Vision Nanodegree
Deep Learning Specialization
Deeplearning.ai via Coursera
Machine Learning Engineer Nanodegree
Deep Learning Engineer Nanodegree
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring