Verified Expert in Engineering
Operations Research Developer
Joël has 19 years of international experience both in startups and corporate environments. His fields of expertise are advanced analytics (data science, AI, machine learning, optimization) and object-oriented software engineering (Python, R, Java, C++). In Joël's career, he has held both consultant and internal positions. In addition to IT and model development, he also has experience in leadership, project management, and advisory to data science team leaders.
Git, Gurobi, Eclipse, RStudio, PyCharm, Linux
The most amazing...
...thing I've done is develop a mathematical model able to optimize the production of chemical products on a large scale.
Consultant in Data Science and Optimization
- Helped a large public institution detect fraud using semi-supervised learning and graph algorithms, using Python and Spark.
- Worked on a large optimization model that generates schedules of nurses in hospitals automatically, using Python and Gurobi.
- Used machine learning to generate weekly forecasts of oil demand in various parts of the world for a tanker company.
- Worked for a bank as a Python solution architect to transform a monolithic calculation engine to a full-fledged distributed application.
- Gave training sessions about data science, forecasting, Python, and R.
- Developed a mixed-integer programming (MIP) model that optimizes the production planning for a large biotech company.
Tech Co-founder, Director
- Developed an algorithm used by head hunters that match people and jobs using machine learning.
- Founded the company together with Founders, a venture capital firm based in Denmark.
- Used the same technologies as we developed for head hunting to provide insights about the job market.
Advanced Analytics Team Lead
- Started major projects and developed models together with my team.
- Initiated various projects involving weekly forecasts with a geographical dimension, models to analyze costs, etc.
- Worked on each stage of the project from the initial phase of the problem formulation to the development of models and the final presentation of the solution.
- Worked on a very large multi-commodity flow model.
- Developed a web interface that enabled end users to easily interact with the model.
- Helped reduce the consumption of energy significantly via the model that we developed.
Engineer in Applied Mathematics - Optimization and Modeling
- Designed and implemented algorithms in the transport optimization area. The work consists in solving real-life vehicle routing problems (VRP) and their variants.
- Split very large problems in smaller ones to reduce the complexity of problems such as client clustering and mono-route optimization.
- Developed technology for waste management to facilitate the transport of containers filled with industrial waste to depots.
- Worked on a non-linear optimization model, able to choose the best combination of raw material to produce steel at the lowest cost and satisfy quality requirements.
- Worked on various forecast models to predict the demand of daily newspapers and to predict the rise in the water level in Belgian canals.
- Helped a large chemical company optimize their supply chain and their distribution network.
Python 3, R, Java, Java 8, Java 7, SQL, Python, C++
Git, Gurobi, CPLEX, PyCharm, Jupyter, Jenkins, Celery
Combinatorial Optimization, Machine Learning, Optimization, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Cryptography, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computational Infrastructure for Operations Research (COIN-OR), GNU, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT)
RStudio Shiny, Spark
Docker, Linux, RStudio, Eclipse
Master's Degree in Applied Mathematics Engineering
UCLouvain - Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 8 Programmer
Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer