Verified Expert in Engineering
C# .NET Developer
Jon is an accomplished and versatile full-stack developer and architect, specializing in C# .NET and the Microsoft platform (client and server), ASP and .NET Core, TypeScript, and Angular. With an ability to cut across the technical and business domains and detailed comprehension and broad insights, Jon has a track record of delivery within large companies, as an external consultant and as the driving force behind the growth of a startup team.
The most amazing...
...application I've created is Schematiq, a revolutionary data productivity platform which I invented, built, and sold to a wide range of leading companies.
Founder | CTO
- Invented, designed, and developed the initial version of Schematiq, a revolutionary data productivity platform.
- Handled and was responsible for the entire development process, including local development, build, continuous integration, packaging, deployment, licensing, and upgrades.
- Planned and prioritized, assigned, and reviewed work, oversaw the use of tools such as JIRA for tracking current workload and backlog maintenance.
- Developed core features of the application, including performance and memory-critical aspects, highly parallel multi-threaded computation, and low-latency cross-process communication.
- Made decisions about future vision including feature roadmaps and the evolution of an optimal stack of technologies and DevOps tooling.
- Sold and delivered client integration projects, liaisoned with stakeholders and users, and managed project teams.
- Acted as a lead consultant for the Capital Markets practice.
- Managed and was responsible for technical architecture and design, establishing vision and direction for sales and product development.
- Was directly involved in high-profile projects with clients such as Citi, Société Générale, Deutsche Bank, HSBC, BNP Paribas, and UBS.
Front Office Developer | Development Team Lead
- Worked for the front-office IT team, supporting interest rate and credit structure product sales, trading, and risk management.
- Scaled up the risk and P&L analysis from individual desktops to a farm of hundreds of servers.
- Added a "screensaver" cycle-stealing risk runner to make use of idle desktop machines to run further simulations.
- Designed and built a database and OLAP cube to store and analyze risk and P&L results over billions of records with near-real-time updates.
- Enabled regulatory compliance by migrating structured trade booking and risk management from spreadsheets to a replacement system based on C# and C++.
- Worked as part of the quantitative research team by supporting the complex interest rate derivatives business.
- Developed and enhanced the pricing-and-risk tools to allow the sales and trading teams to optimize their business decision making.
- Created a build, test, and deployment process to reliably release biweekly updates to over a dozen business centers globally.
- Encouraged the adoption of source control within the research team to improve productivity and quality.
Merrill Lynch Investment Managers
- Worked for the technology team supporting the company's active and passively-managed equity funds.
- Undertook, as part of the global graduate scheme, a curriculum of technical and soft-skill training and development.
- Managed and was responsible for the operational reporting requirements.
- Developed an improved system for broker voting.
- Designed and built an improved algorithm for rebalancing indexed portfolios.
OpenXML Unpack Program
My primary role has been to manage and prioritize development work and provide architectural vision and creativity to drive the team forward. I have built a culture of excellence-and-continuous improvement through careful management and review processes for team members and through the adoption of a cutting-edge suite of development and productivity tools. As such I have been responsible for everything the team produces, how they work, and the quality of the resulting product.
I have also been personally responsible for developing several important features of the application. This includes an optimized cross-process communication library that's written in C#, a flexible framework of database connectors based on a common semantic SQL model with variants for different technologies' own dialects, and an in-memory columnar tabular model (optimized for memory and performance efficiency and exposed via a declarative and immutable API model).
Energy Trading and Risk Management Platform
Based around a library of connectors to strategic systems and a flexible front-end toolset integrated within Excel, the solution allowed the client to leverage their existing investment in systems to their key trading and risk management users—allowing all those involved in the business to work from a single version of truth rather than a variety of fragmented tools and applications as had previously been the case.
Windows Communication Framework (WCF), Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), ASP.NET MVC, NUnit, .NET Core, Rhino Mocks, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), Angular
Fluent API, Moq, Reactive Extensions, RxJS
Mercurial, Subversion (SVN), TeamCity, Jira, Bitbucket, Trello, Slack, Castle Windsor, NuGet, WiX Installer, Git, xUnit, Microsoft Excel
Design Patterns, Inversion of Control, Test-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Functional Reactive Programming, OLAP
Windows, Oracle, SharePoint
JSON, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, OpenXML
RESTful Web Services, Analysis
Master of Engineering Degree in Engineering (Information Science)
Cambridge University - Cambridge, UK
Chartered Financial Analyst