Verified Expert in Engineering
Jon has over two decades of Linux experience, half of those in a system admin role. He has built and understands auto-healing infrastructure. Jon has deployed many of these systems in enterprise environments. Jon has a love of Python and an ability to think on his feet. He hopes to work with new companies and new people to help build amazing systems across the planet! Automation by any means necessary!
Terraform, Terragrunt, Python, Linux, DevOps, DevOps Engineer, Cloud
The most amazing...
...full ETL system I built in Python mimicked the parent Zabbix config and alerts children servers in any region for eventual consistency across Zabbix servers.
Senior DevOps Engineer
Super League Gaming
- Created a custom Python app to run on our clusters to achieve multitudes of needs from the development team.
- Wrote Kubernetes service to reroute Minecraft authentication traffic to our authentication API service instead of Mojang/MS, using a custom mitmproxy Python app.
- Implemented a Kube-Prometheus stack and wrote all the Grafana dashboards so we could cut our spending at Datadog.
- Automated the entire platform for a live video processing team for twitch.tv live shows in six months.
- Used my knowledge of DRY infrastructure code to build a robust, automated back end on the cloud with a handful of back-end developers, helping change healthcare with artificial intelligence (AI).
- Built a fully automated AWS account bootstrap utility that rapidly created identical AWS accounts with optional EKS clusters. Based on the bootstrap method, accounts created with this script required no login to add new users.
- Created the initial Terraform and Terragrunt strategy being utilized to this day.
- Built multiple Terraform modules for teams in need that are being used in production today.
- Wrote many pages of documentation for other DevOps teams to use, allowing for rapid consumption of the Terraform modules.
Site Reliability Engineer II
- Supported daily Kubernetes upgrades, maintenance, and operations.
- Developed Python applications to assist teams in facilitating development and other processes.
- Created Terraform and Terragrunt frameworks for Kubernetes deployments.
DevOps Engineer Staff
- Developed a Python Zabbix ETL app for the eventual consistency of config and alert settings across multiple Zabbix regions.
- Headed many team innovations and documentation guidelines; many of the ideas for team processes were implemented.
- Built numerous auto-healing services utilizing HashiCorp consul, consul templates, and Terraform/Terragrunt.
- Oversaw client/virus model download system via Nginx caching abilities utilizing ephemeral volumes for super fast downloads for everyone!
- Developed a full Django deployment portal (Beryl, blue/green deploy). This allowed our development team to use a website, click around, set pull-down menus, and click a button to roll out new versions of our software suite onto Amazon.
- Led major Terraform/Terragrunt and Puppet module development.
DevOps Automation Engineer
Dynamic Concepts Inc
- Developed an initial Chef cookbook with automation into AWS.
- Developed back end software utilizing AWS API to automate AWS instance build requests from a custom Plesk front end.
- Pioneered ModSecurity WAF layer into Nginx installations.
- Managed named/BIND files and configuration for public DNS resolvers.
Senior Support Engineer
eEye Digital Security
- Managed enterprise client installation support and handling of software issues.
- Served as the primary contact for debugging of software platform application deployments for enterprise clients.
- Oversaw many KB articles and how-to guides to assist customers with deployments.
- Accelerated my position to a senior level very quickly due to my ability to think on my feet and debug mostly anything.
Zabbix ETL Process
Python, Bash, PHP, Go, Python 3
Terraform, NGINX, Boto 3, Puppet, Jenkins, Plesk, Chef, Helm, GitLab CI/CD, GitLab, Vault
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, Windows, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
API Integration, Consul, Cisco, Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS), Technical Documentation, Kubernetes Operations (kOps), Prometheus, DevOps Engineer, Cloud, BareMetal
Windows PowerShell, Django
Microsoft SQL Server, Datadog, Databases