SQL Developer in Minneapolis, MN, United States
Freelance Developer2017 - PRESENTYukon Solutions
Technologies: Node.js, Angular, React, HTTP Live Streaming
- Prototyped web applications using Node.js with Angular 2+ or React.
- Taught junior developers the concepts behind front-end and back-end development.
- Researched video delivery using HTTP Live Streaming for an e-learning project. Set up a Node.js Express server that served up static video segments and set up the proper mime types. Used Apple tools to break up videos into segments.
Lead Web Developer2015 - 2017ShopperTrak
Technologies: Node.js, MongoDB
- Remotely led a small team of API developers based in Chicago. Promoted Agile patterns, including team-driven processes.
- Used Node.js to communicate with existing web services and AWS RedShift data warehouse.
- Documented all systems and processes in company's wiki in Confluence.
- Started and maintained company initiative of using TeamCity CI for CI and CD.
- Trained and mentored junior developers in all aspects of full-stack development, including unit testing, automation, coding conventions, design patterns, fundamental theory, and performance load testing.
- Maintained Docker image for automated end-to-end testing in a browser.
Web Development Contractor2012 - 2014Lifetouch
Technologies: Groovy/Grails, AngularJS, Ext JS, jQuery, Oracle
- Built a new visual graphics editor using AngularJS and Grails.
- Reverse-engineered an account management system into a new Grails web app with an Ext JS front-end.
- Independently created a new CMS web application in Grails and refactored an existing JSF web application to use the CMS.
- Worked in rapid development cycles with a cross-location team.
- Converted a desktop-only website to a mobile single-page application using AngularJS.
Manager, Web Development2008 - 2011Merrill Communications LLC
Technologies: Java, Struts, Spring, Tomcat, Oracle, REST
- Managed a large (30+) development group for the DataSite web application, a leading virtual deal room provider.
- Maintained and supported DataSite 6 while keeping as many developers focused on DataSite 7 as possible.
- Enabled the team to lead themselves by employing managerial techniques influenced by Scrum and Kanban.
- Led data clean-up and migration efforts for all data in the Oracle RDBMS.
- Reviewed and created technical designs in Confluence and Gliffy.
- Administered the JIRA project, including custom workflows and fields.
- Created and managed all ISO 27001 controls for development.
- Provided development direction with a focus on security and performance.
Technical Lead, Web Development2007 - 2008Merrill Communications LLC
- Designed and architected all development projects.
- Led the project to internationalize a large web application, leveraging Struts and Ext JS.
- Designed a data model, data migration plan, and login experience for single sign-on.
- Facilitated project management with a remote UK translation team and prioritized development tasks.
- Created development processes and documentation for IT general controls: SOX compliance and ISO 27001 compliance.
- Administered all document sharing, collaboration, and bug tracking within Microsoft SharePoint.
Web Development Consultant2005 - 2007Talent Software Services
- Made web services and service calls using SOAP and Apache Axis.
- Designed a process for migrating all Oracle data to Unicode UTF-8.
- Worked within a support rotation shift, where each developer would spend one week as the primary contact for production issues raised by customer support.
- Rapidly implemented J2EE solutions within short development cycles.
Web Development Consultant2004 - 2005Northrop Grumman
Technologies: Oracle Forms, Oracle PL/SQL, J2EE, Struts, SOAP
- Maintained and enhanced an integrated USPS HR software system using Oracle and J2EE technology.
- Became the team expert in J2EE, web services, MQ messaging, and Java Struts in a very short time while having little to no previous experience in each technology.
- Augmented a J2EE web application that used Struts MVC and SOAP web services.
- Repaired and modified a messaging system that used MQ Series and XML messages.
- Fielded direct calls from clients during critical usage periods.
Web Developer2000 - 2004Retek
Technologies: Oracle, Oracle Forms, Oracle PL/SQL, Oracle Pro*C
- Worked up from entry-level developing to leading a small sized (2-3 person) development group.
- Built an integrated retail software system, RIB, using Oracle and J2EE technology.
- Created user interfaces in RMS using Oracle Forms Developer 6i.
- Integrated large retail applications using services and XML messaging.
- Performance tuned code for high-volume databases using analysis tools such as tkprof and statspack.
- Wrote helper scripts and file generators using Korn shell and Perl scripting.
- Provided support and documentation to clients.
- Prestige Portraits (Development)https://shop.prestigeportraits.com/shop/login.html
An eCommerce website designed for high school seniors to purchase their senior portraits. I had sole responsibility for the creation of a new in-house content management system, leveraging product data from in-house merchandising system.
Services provided: programming in Grails, J2EE and JQuery, performance monitoring, on-call support, and Oracle database analysis & scripting.
- DataSite (Development)https://datasite.merrillcorp.com
DataSite is the world's leading virtual deal room provider. DataSite provides a global, secure solution for hosting all kinds of content for deals and contracts. I managed and worked with the development team for DataSite, which required an intense focus on security and performance.
FrameworksGrails, Spock, Bootstrap, Express.js, Angular, AngularJS, Apache Struts, Ext JS, Spring, Ruby on Rails (RoR), JUnit, Jasmine
ToolsBitbucket, IntelliJ IDEA, Confluence, Jira, GitHub, Trello, Subversion (SVN), Git, Eclipse IDE, Crucible
ParadigmsMEAN Stack, Scrum, REST, Agile Software Development, Test-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Continuous Integration (CI), Responsive Web Design (RWD), Kanban
PlatformsOracle, Linux, MacOS, Windows
StorageMongoDB, Oracle PL/SQL, JSON, MySQL, AWS S3, AWS DynamoDB
Libraries/APIsReact, Node.js, jQuery
OtherData Modeling, Security, Ajax, Single-page Applications (SPA), HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), Mobile Web
- Bachelor's (with Honors) degree in Computer Science (minor: Speech/Communications)1996 - 2000University of Minnesota Institute of Technology - Minneapolis, MN