Lead Infrastructure and Software Architect2019 - PRESENTClip Money
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Serverless, Go, Cloud, Cloud Architecture, REST APIs, CI/CD Pipelines, Architecture, Relational Database Design, Terraform, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), FinOps, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Email Delivery, Email Systems
- Planned the design and deployment of a fintech application for use throughout Canada.
- Developed Go libraries for interfacing with automated transaction systems at national banks.
- Automated a full Kubernetes deployment of 14+ microservices.
- Designed and implemented the entire AWS architecture, including Cognito, RDS, Lambda, an API gateway, CloudFront, DynamoDB, and many other services.
- Guided the tech strategy and long-term product design.
- Supervised software development interns and evaluated team members' performance.
- Designed and implemented an AWS IoT-based system for digital signage devices, including automated provisioning, registration, and secure tunneling capability.
Technology Specialist2018 - PRESENTTeam Rubicon
Technologies: WiFi, GPS, Radio, Networking
- Led a world health organization emergency medical team in Mozambique to support disaster recovery operations after Cyclone Idai.
- Supported disaster recovery operations in Northern Marianas Islands after Super Typhoon Yutu.
- Traveled to Rockport, Texas, to support disaster recovery operations after Hurricane Harvey.
- Managed all of the technological systems during deployments, including satellite networking, radio systems, and GPS tracking.
- Supported the development of organization-wide technological systems, including membership portals, financial tracking, and emergency communications system preparation.
Lead DevOps Engineer2022 - 2022Silver Eagle Systems LLC
Technologies: Docker, CI/CD Pipelines, DevOps, GitHub, Microservices, Git
- Implemented a microservices-based containerization and networking model using Docker and Docker Compose.
- Implemented CI/CD pipelines with GitHub Actions to build, test, and package releases using a trunk-based Git model and Git tags for release versions.
- Designed a system for bundling single-file deployments for installation on air-gapped machines with no internet access.
- Configured Nginx for serving multiple sources of static content (Angular) with a dynamic API from a single host.
Infrastructure and Security Consultant2022 - 2022Stealth Healthcare SaaS Startup
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Web Security, Authentication, Consulting, Infrastructure, IT Infrastructure, Cloud Infrastructure
- Provided consulting services for application and infrastructure security.
- Provided guidance on AWS infrastructure design for single-tenant and multi-tenant configurations.
- Consulted on HIPAA compliance and other privacy considerations.
DevOps and Infrastructure Engineer2022 - 2022Kalepa
Technologies: DevOps, AWS DevOps, GitHub, GitHub API, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Amazon DynamoDB, AWS Lambda, Serverless Architecture, Serverless Framework, Serverless, Amazon RDS, Amazon EC2, AWS NLB, AWS HA, Amazon Elastic Container Registry (Amazon ECR), Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), AWS ALB, Terraform, Cloud, Docker, Docker Compose, Amazon Aurora, CI/CD Pipelines, Python, Python 3, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Secrets Manager, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Amazon Route 53
- Designed and implemented an enterprise-grade AWS multi-region infrastructure in a multi-account AWS organization architecture.
- Created a modular microservices framework in Terraform for managing ECS, ECR, S3, Lambda, API Gateway, RDS, Elasticache, IAM, batch job, and AWS Step Function resources using a minimum-permissions model.
- Developed GitHub Actions CI/CD workflows and reusable actions for Docker builds, deploying AWS resources in a trunk-based development model.
- Designed and implemented a multi-region private network including Transit Gateway, RAM for shared subnets, multi-NAT egress with automatic failure detection and failover, private VPC endpoints for AWS services, and ingress and egress access control.
- Maintained SOC 2 compliance and monitoring for all AWS services.
- Integrated Datadog with AWS resources for log monitoring and alerting.
- Provided consulting on application design patterns for security, rapid development, and high availability.
Cloud Implementation Lead2021 - 2022Government of Canada - Innovation, Science and Economic Development
Technologies: Radio, Radio Frequency (RF) Protocol, AWS IoT, Amazon RDS, Redshift, AWS Lambda, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Amazon EC2, OpenShift, Red Hat OpenShift, Docker, Networking, Amazon Web Services (AWS), GitHub, GitHub API, Terraform, Cloud, Python 3, Python, Amazon Route 53
- Led the AWS-based cloud implementation for a nationwide radio spectrum monitoring system.
- Integrated with external partners for data ingestion and analytics.
- Migrated enterprise multi-terabyte Oracle databases to AWS RDS using AWS Database Migration Service.
Director of Information Technology2014 - 2022MIT
Technologies: Safety, Wireless, React, Django, REST APIs, SaaS, Internet of Things (IoT), Cloud, Architecture, Cloud Architecture, AWS Cloud Architecture, CI/CD Pipelines, Relational Database Design
- Architected the entire IT infrastructure, including a complex website, AWS hosting, stationary and in-vehicle IoT devices, and public safety radio.
- Developed, deployed, and managed a complex website in PHP with user credentials and qualifications enforcement, shift scheduling, automated email list membership, an interactive file library, and an ICS-integrated calendar system.
- Designed and implemented a system to securely transfer and store protected healthcare records utilizing AES symmetric encryption.
- Developed a system for capturing and logging all public safety radio traffic using C++ and SDR.
- Published an iOS app for in-ambulance use for dispatching and navigation.
- Built electronics prototypes for radio, siren, and emergency lights control.
Team Leader2020 - 2021proSapient
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Nomad, Kubernetes, Python 3, Team Leadership, Architecture, Cloud, Agile, Cloud Architecture, REST APIs
- Led a team of developers in a Python project for global deployment.
- Worked with the client's largest customers for customized development and deployment.
- Reviewed software architecture and infrastructure to ensure robust and reliable design.
- Managed integrations with AWS services, including S3 and Lambda.
Lead Infrastructure Engineer and Solution Architect2020 - 2020QuayChain
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS AppSync, X.509 Certificates, Amazon DynamoDB, AWS IoT, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Terraform, GitHub, Python, Python 3, Internet of Things (IoT), Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), Amazon Route 53
- Designed, deployed, and managed all cloud infrastructure (AWS).
- Established and enforced security policies and protocols.
- Designed an AWS IoT infrastructure with automated provisioning and fleet management.
- Designed and developed a GraphQL API with multiple data sources.
Robotics Consultant2020 - 2020Bear Creek Technologies
Technologies: Mapping, Localization, Robot Operating System (ROS), Terraform, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Reviewed conceptual designs for an autonomous robotic system to validate the design and provide feedback.
- Developed cloud infrastructure for remote monitoring and manual control of multiple geographically diverse robotic systems.
- Worked with the robot manufacturer to ensure compatibility and required functionality of onboard control hardware and software.
System Design Consultant2020 - 2020Millicom (Tigo)
- Reviewed a system architecture proposal to determine feasibility of a major system redesign focused on a microservices architecture.
- Provided guidance on system architecture processes, requirements, and strategies.
- Developed a requirements document for revisions to the system architecture.
Chief Technology Officer2019 - 2020Agribusiness Risk Underwriters
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Confluence, Jira, Node.js, Python, Terraform, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Amazon Route 53
- Assumed a technology leadership role, analyzing corporate and client needs to make decisions on technology stacks, prioritization, and design choices.
- Managed a team of developers, including project managers, web developers, mobile developers, and graphics designers.
- Worked directly with the CEO to define technology policy.
- Supervised the transition from paper-based insurance policy management to a fully-digitized process.
- Designed and implemented all cloud infrastructure to support multiple platforms, primarily in serverless architecture, with a focus on security.
Prototype Engineer and Project Manager2019 - 2020King Tester Corporation
Technologies: Bluetooth, Python, Embedded Systems, OpenCV, Computer Vision
- Managed a team of four engineers, including UI, hardware, and industrial specialists.
- Developed a proprietary computer vision system using OpenCV and Python.
- Integrated software with embedded system hardware, including multiple types of single-board computers.
- Developed software tools for controlling embedded hardware devices.
- Worked with the client to identify new product features for improving user satisfaction.
Technical Consultant2019 - 2019Mosaic
Technologies: Data Recovery, APIs, Python, Blockchain
- Identified and repaired a faulty data source.
- Worked with external agencies to find a reliable long-term solution.
- Recovered corrupt and missing data and rebuilt the datastore.
DevOps Consultant2019 - 2019Cole eVentures, LLC
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cloud9, PHP, Docker, MySQL, Amazon Aurora
- Worked with the client to determine the optimal relational database configuration on AWS.
- Configured and managed an AWS RDS Aurora cluster with replication.
- Assisted in converting an existing application to be compatible with a new RDS cluster.
- Configured an AWS Cloud9 instance for direct interactions with an RDS cluster.
Solution Architect2019 - 2019Global Mining Corporation
Technologies: On-premise, Kubernetes, Docker, Elastic
- Served as a solution architect for one of the world's largest mining corporations with extensive operations in central Asia.
- Evaluated technical requirements of a distributed sensor system for large mines.
- Determined the optimal architecture for gathering, processing, archiving, and visualizing terabytes per day of sensor data.
- Compared costs/benefits of various potential software components, including Elastic Stack, Splunk, Greylog, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Generated a deployment proposal for the identified architecture, including initial cost analysis.
Prototype Engineer2019 - 2019Okta
- Implemented a demonstration prototype of the WebAuthn protocol with support for FIDO2 USB, NFC, and Apple TouchID.
- Built a fully responsive, modern login interface with a real-time network traffic display.
- Deployed the prototype using Flask and provided updates as necessary.
Lead Cryptography Engineer2019 - 2019Taraxa
Technologies: Python, Zero-knowledge Proofs, Secure Multi-party Computation, Transport Layer Security (TLS), Encryption
- Implemented a secure channel injection protocol for SMTP connections.
- Utilized multi-party computation for cooperative multi-party TLS record creation through frameworks including FRESCO and emp-tool.
- Worked with zero-knowledge proofs for SHA-256 hash and X.509 certificate validation.
- Developed a threaded networking framework for a blind certificate authority protocol.
- Implemented new academic cryptographic research for production-scale deployment.
Lead Engineer2019 - 2019Global Top-tier Strategy Consulting Firm (via Toptal)
Technologies: Amazon EC2, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), AWS Lambda, Elasticsearch, REST APIs, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Serverless, Python
- Developed a RESTful API using the Serverless Framework, Python, and AWS Aurora.
- Designed and implemented the back-end cloud (AWS) architecture for global deployment.
- Configured and maintained an Elasticsearch cluster, integrated with RESTful API via AWS Lambda and API Gateway.
- Planned and implemented all security considerations, including AWS Virtual Private Cloud, virtual private network, and VPS endpoints.
- Implemented a CI/CD pipeline, including GitLab, AWS CodePipeline, CodeBuild, and CodeDeploy, all integrated with Slack for automatic build and deployment notifications to the development team.
- Developed scripts for automated input data processing, cleaning, and importing into a structured relational database.
- Worked with a team of developers, including front-end and graphic design specialists.
- Architected a global deployment strategy with multi-region failure redundancy and latency-based routing.
Integration Consultant2018 - 2018INTSITE, Ltd.
Technologies: Digi XBee, C#, MATLAB, MySQL, Python
- Designed and prototyped a distributed IoT sensor network using IMUs, GPS, and remote cameras.
- Developed a redundant wireless communications system for the sensor network, utilizing ZigBee/XBee radio and MIMO point-to-point WiFi.
- Developed Python libraries for redundant and encrypted command/information transmission over the distributed network.
- Integrated LTE cellular communications software and hardware with outdoor system deployments.
- Developed Python libraries for image processing and file conversion.
- Created MySQL database structure for distributed sensor datasets.
- Provided guidance on optimal network configuration, including software and hardware.
Research Assistant and Ph.D. Candidate2014 - 2018MIT Interactive Robotics Group
Technologies: Amazon S3 (AWS S3), PID Controllers, Git, Robot Operating System (ROS), Virtual Machines, MySQL, C++, Python
- Developed and tested novel C++ and Python control algorithms for multi-rotor UAV flights using a robot operating system (ROS).
- Constructed a custom tactile feedback device and developed the necessary C++ control software.
- Created virtual reality environments for user studies, including scripting in multiple proprietary languages.
- Managed all of the Git services for the research group.
- Collaborated with the US Department of Defense's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) on a military research project for multi-modal feedback.
Research Assistant | Ph.D. Candidate2013 - 2014MIT Human Systems Laboratory
Technologies: SOLIDWORKS, MATLAB
- Developed C++ and MATLAB algorithms for processing electrocardiogram (ECG) and electromyography (EMG) data for astronauts and other users in microgravity.
- Supported development of MATLAB software for solar flux predictions on orbital bodies.
- Produced CAD models of environmental control and life support systems for spacecraft.
- Engineered emergency shelters for astronauts on the lunar surface.
Research Assistant2011 - 2013UBC Robotics and Control Laboratory
Technologies: MySQL, OpenCV, MATLAB, C++
- Designed and implemented a novel ultrasound imaging algorithm in C++.
- Wrote acoustic data processing algorithms in C++ and MATLAB.
- Developed image processing algorithms using MATLAB and OpenCV.
- Created statistical analysis scripts for large acoustic and image datasets.