Verified Expert in Engineering
Cloud Architect and Developer
Michele is a product owner for web and mobile projects, a certified scrum master, and a cloud software engineer. Since 2002 he has worked for small and big private companies and government agencies as a freelancer, employee, or owner. He was a delivery manager for multiple teams and a technical product manager in retail, payments, and digital identity. Michele is able to design scalable architectures and manage the implementation while easily communicating plans and advancements at C-level.
The most amazing...
...I've achieved is a 400% productivity boost by introducing Agile and DevOps to 20 developers, transitioning from bi-monthly to 3x daily releases in just 30 days.
- Implemented usability tests on the mobile interface.
- Filed a patent for barcode technology used in the app.
- Coordinated the development of four different apps for Android/iOS.
- Designed a highly scalable secure REST API for mobile payments.
- Managed scalability issues at the code and system level.
Business Remedy LLC
- Integrated Vtiger phone and SMS in Vtiger community edition.
- Added the ability to send and receive calls through Twilio to Vtiger users (shared or exclusive phone number).
- Added the ability to send and receive SMS through Twilio to Vtiger users (shared or exclusive phone number).
- Enhanced functionality to process an Excel file of contacts and send a "mail merge" based on predefined messages and Excel columns.
- Packaged all modules and provided detailed instructions for repeatable setup.
MySQL RDS Database Migrator
Hotel Effectiveness Solutions
- Created an automated script for large database migration.
- Managed low-to-zero downtime using RDS replicas in production.
- Resolved timezone issues with RDS for MySQL during migration.
- Automated migration of a large database with several GB.
- Managed automated complex migration of hundreds of stored procedures from version 5.1 to 5.5.
- Designed and implemented a rock-solid production infrastructure to serve the REST API with millions of requests per day.
- Handled development, testing, and production environments with automated deployment scripts.
- Carried out a feasibility study of efficient content delivery network (CDN) usage for the REST API.
- Created a backup policy based on virtual machine images.
- Implemented a disaster recovery procedure and scripts.
Ferrari (through Spindox)
- Migrated from classic hosting to a multi-zone cloud environment.
- Scaled infrastructure up to 3Mpv/month, enabling reaction to traffic peaks in less than 5 minutes (e.g., during F1 events, traffic increases 10x or 40x in the case of accidents).
- Implemented load tests using beeswithmachineguns to assess the sustained load of the app.
- Reported results to top management and assessed the savings obtained.
- Implemented financial analysis on cost savings (>80%) and further improvements.
Software Architect, DevOps
Qurami - now U-First
- Designed, implemented, improved, and maintained server architecture based on Silex to deliver a robust REST API for agents and clients.
- Handled remote Java agent design, implementation, and deployment on client premises.
- Implemented a feasibility study for communication between agents, the central server, and clients.
- Designed and implemented a message queuing system using jabber/XMPP and then using Amazon SQS.
- Deployed and maintained automation through custom scripts.
We chose AWS and redesigned apps to take advantage of all AWS components like computational instances, dedicated databases, load balancers, Memcached servers, CDN, and PHP optimizations. Load tests demonstrated good results, with >80% savings on starting costs. Nowadays, the infrastructure is composed of several Amazon EC2 instances and several RDS instances in multi-zone + multi-read replicas. We increased the total number of instances to 200. The infrastructure also takes advantage of Amazon S3 and CloudFront.
Qurami (now ufirst)https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ufirst/id470837979
Server architecture is based on Silex and communicates with remote Java agents through the XMPP protocol. The server provides an API to interact with mobile devices. We implemented a robust solution on the AWS stack to handle a large number of remote agents (potentially thousands), ensuring scalability, stability, and privacy. Also, we addressed critical management points to support distributed operations across various locations in Italy for Qurami.
I designed their infrastructure, handling development, testing, and production environments with automated migrations and scalability. It was all implemented on AWS using EC2 and RDS. Since the main load is not the website but the REST API, we decided not to use CloudFront.
I replaced all proprietary technology from Amazon with open source products (provided and configured by other team members), ensuring no disruption happened in the platform. I also migrated the whole application and media library to AWS using EC2, RDS, S3, and CloudFront (including stress test and automation for fail recovery).
Stripe, PayPal API, Twilio API, Facebook API, AWS Amplify, Amazon API, Node.js, UPS API
Software Architecture, Payment Gateways, Amazon RDS, Back-end, Software Engineering, APIs, System Administration, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Autoscaling, Amazon Route 53, Relational Database Services (RDS), CI/CD Pipelines, Amazon API Gateway, Cloud Platforms, PayPal, Web Scalability
Symfony, Silex, Slim
Amazon ElastiCache, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Mailchimp, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Postfix, Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), Mantis, Apache, AWS IAM, Beanstalk, UltraEdit, Git, Jira, NGINX, Vagrant, Jenkins, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), GitHub, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)
DevOps, REST, Scrum, UX Design, CMMI, Agile
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, Linux, AWS Lambda, iOS, Android, LAMP, LEMP, Vtiger, Twilio, Azure, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Kubernetes, Apache2, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MySQL, Google Cloud, Amazon DynamoDB, Databases
Master's Degree in Computer Engineering
Università La Sapienza - Rome, Italy
Erasmus Program in Software Engineering
Linköping University - Linköping, Sweden
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
Amazon Web Services
Certified Scrum Master