Solutions Architect2020 - PRESENTIndustrial Automotive Machine Learning (via Toptal)
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, AWS
- Designed a Kubernetes enterprise storage solution for hybrid cloud solutions.
- Designed an AWS machine learning architecture platform.
- Integrated HSM for a secure developer's access to infrastructure.
DevOps Engineer | Software and System Architect | Python and Data Processing Architect2018 - PRESENTRio Tinto (via Toptal)
Technologies: Cloud, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), DevOps, Ceph, Redis, Kotlin, Go, GlusterFS, MongoDB, Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, Django, Azure, Terraform
- Architected a scalable containerized solution for a seismic analytics platform for real-time sensor analysis.
- Designed and implemented a scalable on-premise Kubernetes-based cluster with deployment in a copper mine. It mirrored the deployment on the cloud for developers without the need for access to the internal corporate processes.
- Introduced a Django-based REST API for the unified access of processed data.
- Performed a major performance and architectural review and rewrites of all components involved.
- Developed a Kafka-streaming solution for ingesting legacy data in Kotlin.
- Reverse-engineered a legacy database and storage systems for integration in a Kafka streaming re-architecture significantly reducing the latency in the data access.
- Implemented near real-time processing of seismic events.
- Built a real-time web integration in Django.
- Led a development team and resources.
- Developed a Go connector to extract legacy data for stream processing in Kafka.
- Profiled and rewrote big parts of the application, turned them into a python library, added python packaging and testing infrastructure with corresponding build pipelines.
- Hired and directed the development of a back-end web and front-end application.
- Rearchitected the application to reduce the amount of data passed around in messages and removed and replaced Kafka dependency for normal messaging to Kafka streams processing where it was necessary.
- Rewrote and architected various pieces of Python code into a releasable versionable library.
- Matched requirements with potential streaming solutions Flink, Pachyderm, Argo, Airflow, NiFi, Spark and Flink to provide the best solution to the client.
Freelance Developer2018 - PRESENTtalkyoo
Technologies: Cloud, DevOps, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Google Compute Engine (GCE)
- Dockerized the platform for use with Kubernetes.
- Implemented a GitLab CI integration with the Google Cloud platform.
- Designed a Google Cloud architecture with Google Cloud, GKE, and Terraform.
- Terraformed the OnPremise vSphere infrastructure and added an ELK Elasticsearch cluster for monitoring.
- Migrated the existing manually installed Kubernetes cluster to an automated Kubespray setup and connected it to the GitLab CI.
DevOps Consultant2021 - 2021Toptal Client
Technologies: Apache Kafka, CruiseControl, Prometheus, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Kubernetes
- Introduced Autoscaling for Kafka using CruiseControl.
- Coached the client on how to autoscale Kafka consumer groups in Kafka.
- Coached client on Kubernetes persistent volume setups/Kafka Clusters across Availability Zones.
Solution Architect2020 - 2020Industrial 3D Printing Quality Control Startup (via Toptal)
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), RQ, Terraform, TensorFlow, AWS, Python
- Designed a multi-tenant secure cloud Kubernetes infrastructure for a platform that supports multiple enterprise clients secure compartmentalized ML workflows.
- Worked with the client to educate and design an easy to use job queuing as a step before the ML pipeline for high-velocity integration.
- Educated the client on designing the aforementioned autoscaling solutions with Terraform on AWS.
CTO2020 - 2020Toptal Law Firm Client
Technologies: Vue.js, Heroku, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
- Restructured the team, led to halving the team size and improved velocity tenfold.
- Recruited a new team and trained the CEO in the importance of engineering quality and created an environment for him to take over the lead with minimal effort.
- Led technology and product decisions temporarily along with development and communication ground rules to allow the CEO to efficiently run his new performance team.
CTO2016 - 2019Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians
Technologies: DevOps, .NET, Oracle, Java, VMware, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
- Introduced Angular and Ruby on Rails for the new web projects.
- Guided the installation of 100G MTP wiring as well as the necessary core drillings for a future-proof construction.
- Introduced Agile project management to the organization.
- Mentored young developers and product owners to grow further on their own.
- Wrote the blueprint for transitioning the current on-premise domain controller (DC) to a private cloud.
- Guided the transition of network access control, physical access control, and system architecture.
DevOps Engineer2018 - 2018In One Motion
Technologies: Cloud, DevOps, Ansible, Packer, Terraform, Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), Windows Server, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
- Created a one-click solution for generating and updating secure Windows images customized for the Google Cloud to be used with graphic acceleration.
Cloud Computing Director2014 - 2015Softsage Solutions
Technologies: Cloud, DevOps, BladeCenter H, VMware, Ansible, Python, Ubuntu, Boot, PXE, UEFI, KVM
- Reverse-engineered Apple's bootloader and extended the EDK for an OSX boot.
- Automated software development onboarding environments with Ansible.
- Improved Sauce Labs' cloud performance for up to 38% and boot times over 17%. Analyzed virtualized I/O, Networking and other bottlenecks against a bare-metal performance.
- Designed and built preboot environments to migrate hundreds of Mac minis from VMware to KVM.
- Implemented custom cloud deployment and performance work.
- Developed packer imaging for Mac and Windows images.
Team Lead Web2014 - 2014Fly Victor
Technologies: MongoDB, Angular, WordPress, Percona, Node.js
- Led a team of web developers to build the new web platform and landing pages with Angular and the Node.js API.
- Increased the conversion rates for new visits by 29%.
Software Engineer2012 - 2013Center for Business and Information Technologies
Technologies: Customer Relationship Management (CRM), XMPP, Erlang, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, .NET
- Reviewed and distributed an XMPP application for the Department of Homeland Security.
- Designed and built the first RESTful Medicaid API.
- Wrote special tooling to allow normal developers to modify data structures in the Dynamics CRM.
- Evaluated the use of AWS GovCloud for Medicaid solutions.
Principle Software Architect2009 - 2012talkyoo
Technologies: DevOps, SOAP, VMware, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, Chef
- Wrote significant portions of the web application.
- Integrated various payment gateway systems before the age of Stripe.
- Introduced Chef for infrastructure automation.
Software Architect2008 - 2009TalentRun GmbH
Technologies: Sphinx Search Engine, Memcached, MySQL, Zend Framework, PHP
- Heavily improved the database-heavy app with help from the Percona engineers.
- Optimized the application by introducing full-text search and moving all the necessary queries out of the relational database.
Junior Engineer2007 - 2008Acculogic, Inc.
Technologies: C++, Integrated Circuit Testing, Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
- Built a new circuit testing algorithm to improve the performance of the checks against golden boards.
- Built custom solutions for Intel to use with their circuit testing machinery.
- Implemented a new circuit testing system using magnetic fields.