DevOps Engineer | Software and System Architect | Python and Data Processing Architect2018 - PRESENTRio Tinto
Technologies: Terraform, Azure, Django, Kafka, Kubernetes, MongoDB, GlusterFS, Go, Kotlin, Redis
- Architected a scalable containerized solution for a seismic analytics platform for real-time sensor analysis.
- Designed and implemented a scalable on-premise Kubernetes-based cluster with deployment in a copper mine. It mirrored the deployment on the cloud for developers without the need for access to the internal corporate processes.
- Introduced a Django-based REST API for the unified access of processed data.
- Performed a major performance and architectural review and rewrites of all components involved.
- Developed a Kafka-streaming solution for ingesting legacy data in Kotlin.
- Reverse-engineered a legacy database and storage systems for integration in a Kafka streaming re-architecture significantly reducing the latency in the data access.
- Implemented near real-time processing of seismic events.
- Built a real-time web integration in Django.
- Led a development team and resources.
- Developed a Go connector to extract legacy data for stream processing in Kafka.
- Profiled and rewrote big parts of the application, turned them into a python library, added python packaging and testing infrastructure with corresponding build pipelines.
- Hired and directed the development of a back-end web and front-end application.
- Rearchitected the application to reduce the amount of data passed around in messages and removed and replaced Kafka dependency for normal messaging to Kafka streams processing where it was necessary.
- Rewrote and architected various pieces of Python code into a releasable versionable library.
Freelance Developer2018 - PRESENTtalkyoo
Technologies: GCE, GKE
- Dockerized the platform for use with Kubernetes.
- Implemented a GitLab CI integration with the Google Cloud platform.
- Designed a Google Cloud architecture with Google Cloud, GKE, and Terraform.
- Terraformed the OnPremise vSphere infrastructure and added an ELK Elasticsearch cluster for monitoring.
- Migrated the existing manually installed Kubernetes cluster to an automated Kubespray setup and connected it to the GitLab CI.
CTO2016 - PRESENTAssociation of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, VMware, Java, Oracle, .NET
- Introduced Angular and Ruby on Rails for the new web projects.
- Guided the installation of 100G MTP wiring as well as the necessary core drillings for a future-proof construction.
- Introduced Agile project management to the organization.
- Mentored young developers and product owners.
- Wrote the blueprint for transitioning the current on-premise domain controller (DC) to a private cloud.
- Guided the transition of network access control, physical access control, and the system architecture.
DevOps Engineer2018 - 2018In One Motion
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Windows Server, RDP, Terraform, Packer, Ansible
- Created a one-click solution for generating and updating secure Windows images customized for the Google Cloud to be used with graphic acceleration.
Cloud Computing Director2014 - 2015Softsage Solutions
Technologies: KVM, UEFI, PXE Boot, Ubuntu Preseed, Python, Ansible, VMware, BladeCenter API
- Reverse-engineered Apple's bootloader and extended the EDK for an OSX boot.
- Automated software development onboarding environments with Ansible.
- Improved Sauce Labs' cloud performance for up to 38% and boot times over 17%. Analyzed virtualized I/O, Networking and other bottlenecks against a bare-metal performance.
- Designed and built preboot environments to migrate hundreds of Mac minis from VMware to KVM.
- Implemented custom cloud deployment and performance work.
- Developed packer imaging for Mac and Windows images.
Team Lead Web2014 - 2014Fly Victor
Technologies: Node.js, Percona, WordPress, Angular, MongoDB
- Led a team of web developers to build the new web platform and landing pages with Angular and the Node.js API.
- Increased the conversion rates for new visits by 29%.
Software Engineer2012 - 2013Center for Business and Information Technologies
Technologies: .NET, Ruby on Rails, Erlang, XMPP, CRM
- Reviewed and distributed an XMPP application for the Department of Homeland Security.
- Designed and built the first RESTful Medicaid API.
- Wrote special tooling to allow normal developers to modify data structures in the Dynamics CRM.
- Evaluated the use of AWS GovCloud for Medicaid solutions.
Principle Software Architect2009 - 2012talkyoo
Technologies: Chef, Ruby on Rails, VMware, SOAP
- Wrote significant portions of the web application.
- Integrated various payment gateway systems before the age of Stripe.
- Introduced Chef for infrastructure automation.
Software Architect2008 - 2009TalentRun GmbH
Technologies: PHP, Zend, MySQL, Memcache, Sphinx
- Heavily improved the database-heavy app with help from the Percona engineers.
- Optimized the application by introducing full-text search and moving all the necessary queries out of the relational database.