Cloud DevOps Engineer (Kubernetes)2021 - 2022Acies AI Ltd.
Technologies: Kubernetes, Helm, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Azure, ClickHouse, AWS
- Migrated the entire existing cloud and manually configured components from AWS to Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) with fully automated deployment.
- Performed Terraform deployment that allows the client to spin up and tear down full environments in a matter of minutes and also gives them the option to white label the whole platform if needed.
- Made a lot of improvements in data consistency and retention policies for selected databases and storage, allowing for better disaster recovery (DR) and overall availability.
DevOps Engineer2021 - 2022Legartis Technology AG
Technologies: OpenShift, Ansible, Docker, CI/CD Pipelines, GitLab CI/CD, DevOps, DevOps Engineer, GitLab, Icinga, Apache Kafka, PostgreSQL, Continuous Integration (CI), Kubernetes
- Introduced Terraform to the architecture and migrated GitLab CI to AKS.
- Migrated an Ansible-based container built of the entire infrastructure to GitLab CI from an older OpenShift-v3-based environment to one that runs on different Kubernetes platforms.
- Helped migrate the OpenShift v3 to a privacy-aware Switzerland-based Kubernetes provider with its own Terraform architecture.
Architect2021 - 2021Computer Vision/3D Printing Data Processing via Toptal
Technologies: Python, AWS
- Reviewed the current infrastructure and assessed scalability of the current solution.
- Created a multi-tenant AWS design with strict data segregation necessary for the enterprise clients of this 3D printing validation startup.
- Provided scalable design for hybrid sensor to cloud infrastructure.
DevOps Consultant2021 - 2021Toptal Client
Technologies: Apache Kafka, CruiseControl, Prometheus, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Kubernetes
- Introduced Autoscaling for Kafka, using CruiseControl.
- Coached the client on how to autoscale Kafka consumer groups in Kafka.
- Advised the client on Kubernetes persistent volume setups and Kafka Clusters across Availability Zones.
Embedded Architect | Global Strategy, Security and ML Consultant for Self-driving Vehicles2020 - 2021Fortune 500 Automotive Company
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, AWS IoT, Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), Embedded Systems, Internet of Things (IoT), DevOps, AWS, Machine Learning, Leadership
- Provided strategic guidance to the CIO and the directors of autonomy solutions on security, platform, integration, and edge computing.
- Advised the Chinese subsidiary on their ML architecture and a way to work together with the North American market without sharing IP due to the shifting global complexities.
- Advocated changes in the global communication and security structure for a major shift in a rapidly changing world.
- Designed an AWS ML cloud infrastructure for LIDAR data processing.
- Designed a Kubernetes enterprise storage solution for hybrid cloud solutions.
- Integrated hardware security module (HSM) for a secure developer's access to infrastructure.
- Designed a Kubernetes enterprise storage solution for hybrid cloud solutions.
Freelance Developer2018 - 2021Talkyoo
Technologies: Cloud, DevOps, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Google Compute Engine (GCE), SaaS
- Built the original transition to Rails 2 and integrated the payments infrastructure, working closely with the CTO, CEO, and lead designer on commercializing the product and A/B testing migration of the existing free customers.
- Implemented a GitLab CI integration with the Google Cloud platform.
- Designed a Google Cloud architecture with Google Cloud, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), and Terraform.
- Terraformed the on-premise vSphere infrastructure and added an ELK Elasticsearch cluster for monitoring.
- Dockerized the platform for Kubernetes use. I migrated the manually installed Kubernetes cluster to an automated Kubespray setup and connected it to the GitLab CI.
Solution Architect2020 - 2020Industrial 3D Printing Quality Control Startup (via Toptal)
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), RQ, Terraform, TensorFlow, AWS, Python, SaaS
- Designed a multi-tenant secure cloud Kubernetes infrastructure for a platform that supports multiple enterprise clients' secure compartmentalized ML workflows.
- Cooperated with the client to educate and design an easy-to-use job queuing as a step before the ML pipeline for high-velocity integration.
- Educated the client on designing the aforementioned autoscaling solutions with Terraform on AWS.
CTO2020 - 2020Toptal Law Firm Client
Technologies: Vue, Heroku, Ruby on Rails (RoR), CTO, Mentorship & Coaching, Leadership
- Restructured the team, thereby reducing its size by half and improving velocity tenfold; migrated the team to a more accountable, results-driven work mode, and coached the client on how to do so without my help.
- Recruited a new team and trained the CEO on the importance of engineering quality; created an environment for him to take over the lead with minimal effort.
- Led technology and product decisions temporarily along with the development and communication ground rules to allow the CEO to run a new performance team efficiently.
DevOps Engineer | Team Lead | Software and System Architect | Python and Data Processing Architect2018 - 2020Rio Tinto (via Toptal)
Technologies: Cloud, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), DevOps, Ceph, Redis, Kotlin, Go, GlusterFS, MongoDB, Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, Django, Azure, Terraform, Leadership, Cloud Security, ARIS Cloud
- Architected a scalable containerized solution for a seismic analytics platform for real-time sensor analysis.
- Led a development team and handled resources; advised the client on restructuring previous resources; hired and directed the development of a back-end and front-end application. Introduced asynchronous standups to allow collaboration across timezones.
- Introduced a Django-based REST API for the unified access of processed data. Built a real-time web integration in Django.
- Enhanced a major performance and architectural review and rewrites of all components involved. Rewrote and architected various pieces of Python code into a releasable versionable library.
- Reverse-engineered a legacy database and storage systems for integration in a Kafka streaming re-architecture, significantly reducing the latency in the data access. I built a Kafka-streaming solution for ingesting legacy data in Kotlin.
- Designed and implemented a scalable on-premise Kubernetes-based cluster with deployment in a copper mine. It mirrored the deployment on the cloud for developers without the need for access to the internal corporate processes.
- Developed a Go connector to extract legacy data for stream processing in Kafka.
- Implemented near real-time processing of seismic events. Also, I matched requirements with potential streaming solutions Flink, Pachyderm, Argo, Airflow, NiFi, Spark, and Flink to provide the best solution to the client.
- Rearchitected the application to reduce the amount of data passed around in messages and removed and replaced Kafka dependency for normal messaging to Kafka streams processing where it was necessary.
- Profiled and rewrote major parts of the application, turning them into a Python library, and added Python packaging and testing infrastructure with corresponding build pipelines.
CTO2016 - 2019Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians
Technologies: DevOps, .NET, Oracle, Java, VMware, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, CTO, Mentorship & Coaching, Leadership
- Planned and coordinated the wiring, data center, wireless, and security in the €40 million construction of the new HQ.
- Guided the installation of 100G MTP wiring as well as the necessary core drillings for a future-proof construction.
- Introduced Agile project management to the organization.
- Mentored young developers and product owners to grow further on their own.
- Wrote the blueprint for transitioning the current on-premise domain controller (DC) to a private cloud.
- Guided the transition of network access control, physical access control, and system architecture.
- Introduced Angular and Ruby on Rails for the new web projects.
DevOps Engineer2018 - 2018In One Motion
Technologies: Cloud, DevOps, Ansible, Packer, Terraform, Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), Windows Server, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby
- Created a one-click solution for generating and updating secure Windows images customized for the Google Cloud to be used with graphic acceleration.
Cloud Computing Director2014 - 2015Softsage Solutions
Technologies: Cloud, DevOps, BladeCenter H, VMware, Ansible, Python, Ubuntu, Boot, PXE, UEFI, KVM, CTO, Mentorship & Coaching, Leadership
- Reverse-engineered Apple's bootloader and extended the EDK for an OS X boot.
- Automated software development onboarding environments with Ansible.
- Improved Sauce Labs' cloud performance by up to 38% and boot times by over 17%. Analyzed virtualized I/O, networking, and other bottlenecks against a bare-metal performance.
- Designed and built preboot environments to migrate hundreds of Mac minis from VMware to KVM.
- Implemented custom cloud deployment and performance work.
- Developed packer imaging for Mac and Windows images.
Team Lead Web2014 - 2014Fly Victor
Technologies: MongoDB, Angular, WordPress, Percona, Node.js, Leadership, SaaS
- Led a team of web developers to build the new web platform with Angular and the Node.js API.
- Increased the conversion rates for new visits by 29%.
- Oversaw launch process, massively increasing turnaround on first-time private jet charter customers.
Software Engineer2012 - 2013Center for Business and Information Technologies
Technologies: Customer Relationship Management (CRM), XMPP, Erlang, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, .NET
- Reviewed and distributed an XMPP application for the Department of Homeland Security.
- Designed and built the first RESTful Medicaid API.
- Wrote special tooling to allow normal developers to modify data structures in the Dynamics CRM.
- Evaluated the use of AWS GovCloud for Medicaid solutions.
Principle Software Architect2009 - 2012talkyoo
Technologies: DevOps, SOAP, VMware, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ruby, Chef
- Wrote significant portions of the web application.
- Integrated various payment gateway systems before the age of Stripe.
- Introduced Chef for infrastructure automation.
Software Architect2008 - 2009TalentRun GmbH
Technologies: Sphinx Search Engine, Memcached, MySQL, Zend Framework, PHP
- Improved the database-heavy app substantially along with the Percona engineers.
- Optimized the application by introducing a full-text search and moving all the necessary queries from the relational database.
Junior Engineer2007 - 2008Acculogic, Inc.
Technologies: C++, Integrated Circuit Testing, Information & Communications Technology (ICT)
- Built a new circuit testing algorithm to improve the performance of the checks against golden boards.
- Constructed custom solutions for Intel to use with their circuit testing machinery.
- Implemented a new circuit testing system using magnetic fields.