Consultant, Software Engineering2018 - PRESENTPaper Ventures
- Built a fully-integrated online experience for a life insurance startup that determines insurance coverage needs based on a proprietary recommendation algorithm.
- Integrated with third-party insurance providers to quote policies based on the user's recommended coverage needs.
- Developed projects using React, Node.js, Express.js and hosted on AWS.
Engineering Manager2021 - 2022Trellis Technologies
Technologies: TypeScript, Node.js, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Cloud Firestore, React, Next.js, Express.js, REST
- Joined Trellis, an insurtech startup focused on providing the best-in-class online insurance shopping experience. Trellis utilizes your current insurance information to make your shopping experience easy and seamless.
- Served as the technical leader in developing Trellis' online quote comparison tool, allowing shoppers to compare quotes from multiple insurance providers against their current policy.
- Built the front end on React and Next.js and the back-end on Node.js and Express.js with a Cloud Firestore database and hosted on Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Led the development of a sophisticated and dynamic interview experience that collected additional information from users to ensure we could provide them with an accurate insurance quotes.
Solutions Engineer2021 - 2021Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Served in an architecture role leading a team of 15 engineers across three teams.
- Oversaw the building of the "next generation" of external-facing APIs for third-parties to perform insurance quoting and purchasing.
- Strove to offer a top-tier self-service integration experience. The business objective was to become the insurance carrier of choice for third-party integrators.
Principal Software Engineer2019 - 2021Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Developed new online quoting and shopping experiences for auto, home, renters, and condo insurance.
- Provided hands-on engineering leadership in the development of a modernized technology stack.
- Developed the front-end as a collection of micro front-end apps written in React backed by a GraphQL server for state management and downstream back-end integration.
- Created a microservices back-end comprised of Node.js, Express.js, and Java Spring Boot services. Utilized MongoDB for data storage and Redis for caching. Integrated with enterprise services via REST and SOAP.
Tech Lead2018 - 2019HubSpot
- Served as the lead engineer and manager of a team of three software engineers.
- Spearheaded an experience that allows users to build custom reports and visualizations using their underlying CRM and analytics data.
- Delivered the front-end as a single-page app written in React with a mix of Redux and Flux.
Principal Software Developer2017 - 2018Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Developed a brand new consumer-facing motorcycle insurance shopping experience.
- Created the front-end as a single-page app written in React and Redux.
- Delivered a back end as a collection of microservices written on Spring Boot in Java.
- Collaborated with specialists from Pivotal Labs in the heart of "Tech Square" located in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Senior Software Developer2016 - 2017Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Developed a consumer-facing app used by customers to check the status of insurance claims.
- Wrote the front end as a single-page app written in React and Redux.
- Delivered a back end in Express.js on Node.js, exposing a GraphQL API.
Senior Software Developer2013 - 2016Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Developed a consumer-facing web app for users to shop for insurance.
- Provided leadership on an effort to rewrite the app’s entire front end from scratch following responsive web design practices.
- Created the front end as a single-page app with an advanced MVC architecture using the Dojo Toolkit.
Software Developer2011 - 2013Liberty Mutual Insurance
Technologies: ASP.NET, C#, ASP.NET MVC
- Developed an internal web app to manage the book of business for surety clients.
- Built the app with ASP.NET MVC using C# and jQuery.
- Collaborated with business partners to elicit requirements.