Shabeer S Hussain
Verified Expert in Engineering
Software Engineer and Developer
Shabeer is a senior iOS engineer with 12+ years of experience and is fluent in Swift, Objective-C, SwiftUI, and UIKit apps. He has extensive experience in iOS app development, release management, and maintenance of CI/CD pipelines from working in both large corporate companies and small-scale startups. Shabeer is interested in back-end development using Swift Vapor and event-driven serverless architecture using Firebase Firestore and Firebase functions to complement his mobile expertise.
iOS, Swift, tvOS, WatchOS, Xcode, Mobile Apps, SwiftUI, iPadOS
The most amazing...
...thing I've done is rewrite and roll out the Just Eat menu and basket modules into a single global component supporting the UK and international markets.
Senior iOS Engineer
- Worked on the Early Engagement Squad on various experiments to increase customer engagement during their first 30 days as a Monzo customer.
- Modularised codebase with a mix of UIKit and SwiftUI using SPM and backend-driven UI.
- Introduced experiments such as a more straightforward sign-up flow, promoting donations, pot creation, and onboarding activities.
Senior iOS Engineer
- Worked as a senior iOS engineer for a greenfield app for Motorway drivers to carry out customer collections. Onboarded onto the project four months after kick-off.
- Contributed to the full SwiftUI app with a modularized codebase using Swift Package Manager.
- lntroduced both unit and UI tests and practices to the team.
- Was an active participant at Mobile Guild meetings, ensuring teams were aligned whenever possible on future work, practices, or creating shared packages.
Lead iOS Engineer
- Served as the lead iOS engineer in the marketplace team, working on both the Yell Search and Yell for Business apps. Led a team of three iOS developers.
- Worked in a cross-functional Agile team across three countries.
- Built upon and delivered vital features, including migrating them to AuthO for authentication, B2C messaging, payments, job boards, and live person chat.
- Modularized a Swift codebase with UIKit, SwiftUI, and Combine.
- Maintained a CI pipeline using fastlane, GitHub Actions, and on-premise Mac runners.
- Supported a QA team with UI tests and maintained a Jenkins CI and Sauce Labs device farm.
- Built for distribution on the App Store and enterprise via internal mobile device management (MDM) software.
- Organized and led multiple interviews to build the iOS team.
Senior iOS Engineer
- Participated in a two-person iOS team that rewrote and delivered menu and basket modules into a single global component supporting the UK and international markets.
- Supported moving the iOS codebases to a modular architecture, creating a single codebase to support all markets.
- Ensured high automated test coverage via both unit and UI tests.
- Acted as an escalation point for the menu team on various tech issues and API integrations while involved in multiple work streams and discussions.
- Coordinated with key stakeholders such as tech, product, and delivery leads to prioritize work outside their purview, covering tech debt, tooling, standards, and processes.
- Served as a technical authority on implementations for A/B testing to support rollouts and experiments using Optimizely.
- Owned various work streams, from inception and technical design to implementation and release.
- Owned error-logging principles for iOS teams, making use of Grafana and Kibana for monitoring and alerting.
- Delivered key features such as global menu and basket, dine-in menu, dish images, hygiene ratings, dynamic delivery fees, and dish recommendations and calories.
- Ensured the latest iOS APIs and frameworks, such as SwiftUI, were integrated when possible.
Lead iOS Engineer
- Participated in the 3-man team that started miPic in 2013 and developed the entire native iOS app from the ground up. Owned all aspects of the development lifecycle since its inception as a sole developer on the iOS app.
- Created an API client to communicate with our back end. Used 3rd-party APIs and frameworks, such as Firebase, Parse, Crashlytics, and social authentication via Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Utilized Google Analytics for Firebase, fabric for the event, metric, and eCommerce tracking, and A/B testing with Firebase Remote Config.
- Implemented custom push notifications, as well as universal links, app indexing, and Apple Pay for payments.
- Scripted and maintain a CI pipeline using Jenkins.
- Participated in other parts of the business, such as hiring and board meetings. I oversaw analytics, such as checkout conversions and drop-offs, and procurements of internal systems, such as Jira and Slack, as a senior member of the team.
- Assisted miPic in winning both Virgin's Pitch to Rich Innovation and People's Choice Awards in 2014, completing a crowdfunding campaign via Crowd Cube in 2015 for £170,000, and raising £1.3 million in seed funding in 2017.
Senior iOS Engineer
- Collaborated within UK Product Development, working my magic across the iPhone, iPad, and WatchOS apps to bring the world bug-free takeaway. My time was split across feature work, core iOS development and maintenance, and experimentation.
- Handled the Just Eat rebrand in 2016, contributing to the new theming framework to support all iOS apps and markets.
- Developed advanced restaurant search features, enabling users to search by restaurant name and location.
- Assisted in refactoring the use of Core Data within the app. The goal was to isolate its usage to eventually remove it from the app.
- Created a new open-source logging framework that integrated with the Just Eat ELK stack (available on GitHub–JustLog).
- Built an A/B testing class backed by Optimizely to enable split testing in iOS apps.
- Assisted with the Apple Watch app for the iOS 10 launch with Apple.
Senior iOS Consultant Developer
- Promoted to a senior consultant developer after 18 months. As a result, I led multiple development teams, engaged more frequently with clients, and managed their expectations.
- Focused on release management and best development practices while continuing to be a hands-on developer, building my expert knowledge in Apple's various operating systems, APIs, and devices.
- Acted as one of the lead iOS developers on the award-winning PocketSales app that won the Salesforce Partner Mobile Innovation Award 2014.
- Served as an instructor at Training Dragon, which provides a wide range of classroom-based short courses in IT, design, management, and marketing.
- Taught iOS, its core fundamentals, and design patterns to trainees from beginner to industry professionals.
- Taught three courses: Introduction to Objective C, iPhone App Development, and iPad App Development, which ran for two, four, and two days, respectively.
- Contributed to Rippll’s flagship technology, AppSplash, a template solution for mobile apps. A cost-effective solution, AppSplash can build native Android and iOS apps within minutes via an online CMS.
- Built and maintained the native iOS component of the AppSplash platform and incorporated technologies such as push notifications, user analytics, and digital loyalty cards.
- Built technology to combine the analytics gathered within the app with push notifications to allow targeted marketing.
- Released over 70 apps to the App Store while at Rippll.
The app is written in SwiftUI and is backed by Firebase Firestore to allow users to create, save, and share AI-generated art.
Craft is a personal project and will be released in October 2023.
The app is backed by Core Data and allows users to add photo attachments, signatures, text or call customers, save multiple delivery lists, access turn-by-turn navigation, and view delivery history. It also contains in-app purchases to enable users to purchase additional features.
I created a trailer to market the app, which was available for download on the Apple App Store and reached over 1,000 downloads before being shut down in 2014.
The trailer can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPLfgV0BdCs&feature=youtu.be.
Mocking is an integral part of testing. However, unlike unit tests, mocking is harder to achieve in UI tests as we do not import the main app into the UITest target. This means we do not have access to the underlying code, such as objects and functions, to use techniques like DI to inject mocks.
Feather enables mocking by spinning up a temporary local server on-device, giving you complete control to map mock responses for API calls without having an intrusive footprint in your code.
• Simple API to inject mock API responses into UI Tests with minimum effort and footprint.
• Spins up a local server on-device/simulator and tears down once UITest Target has stopped running.
• Dynamically updates mock responses at run time.
• Flexible API allowing various ways to provide mock responses.
• Written in 100% Swift using Swift Vapor.
UIKit, SwiftUI, iOS Frameworks, XCTest, Cocoa Touch, iOS SDK, MapKit, Core Data, ImageIO, Vapor
Google Maps SDK, Lottie-iOS, Firebase iOS SDK, Stripe, MapKit API, Jenkins Pipeline
Xcode, Apple Push Notifications, Google Analytics, Jenkins, Optimizely, Kibana, ELK (Elastic Stack), Firebase Authentication, Grafana, AVPlayer
App Development, Agile Software Development, Agile
iOS, Firebase, tvOS, MacOS, Apple TV, WatchOS, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Mobile Apps, A/B Testing, Lottie, SPM, UI Testing, iPad, PSD to Swift, SDKs, CI/CD Pipelines, Google Cloud Functions, Combine, App Store, In-app Purchases, Image Processing, Instant Messaging, Maps, Software Development, Software Engineering, GitHub Actions, Game Development, Game Design, Stripe Payments, Firebase Cloud Functions, iPadOS, Prototyping
Cloud Firestore, Datadog, Realm
Bachelor's Degree in Computing with Games Development
University of Greenwich - London, UK
Business and Technology Education Council (BTEC) National Diploma in IT Practices
Richmond upon Thames College - London, UK
Certified Scrum Master
Mastering Jenkins CI