Verified Expert in Engineering
Cybersecurity Engineer and Software Developer
With five years of experience in cybersecurity, Sonali specializes in managing large projects, Cisco devices, network security, and cyber monitoring. Her skills span server architecture, vulnerability testing, regulatory compliance, VPNs, and firewalls. She excels in interdisciplinary teamwork, thrives in high-pressure settings, and has strong problem-solving acumen. Sonali's dedication to cyber monitoring and innovative security solutions positions her to drive impactful contributions.
Palo Alto Networks, Web Technologies, Vulnerability Management, F5 Networks, Cisco Routers, Web Application Firewall (WAF), SIEM, Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response (SOAR), Email, Security Awareness Training
The most amazing...
...thing I've done is develop and lead the efforts to improve the vulnerability management program and firewall methods in my former role.
Cybersecurity Supervision Specialist
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
- Spearheaded assessing and enhancing banks' cyberinfrastructure, employing SIEM tools, firewalls, and endpoint technologies to fortify resilience against cyber incidents and threats.
- Sustained a strong focus on incident readiness by collaborating with internal teams and external stakeholders to develop and implement effective incident response strategies.
- Conducted meticulous assessments of metrics, governance policies and procedures, asset inventory, and overall organizational structure to evaluate banks' compliance status.
- Fostered a culture of security awareness and best practices within banks, aligning with regulatory requirements and enabling prompt detection and resolution of security issues.
- Collaborated with banking personnel to provide training and guidance on handling cyber incidents, bolstering their capacity to respond effectively and minimizing potential financial risks.
Information and Cybersecurity Engineer II
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- Observed vulnerabilities and provided guidance to asset owners and vendors based on security compliance and solutions.
- Identified and managed vulnerabilities that apply to specific network components. Ensured network components and applications operated effectively and provided appropriate confidentiality, integrity, and availability.
- Analyzed suspicious activities within Excellus' network using Wireshark, FireEye, Palo Alto, QRadar, Tenable, Splunk, and McAfee Endpoint Security for troubleshooting.
- Collaborated with a team of analysts on performing real-time incident response, swiftly identifying and containing security breaches. Collaborated cross-functionally to mitigate threats and ensure rapid recovery.
- Conducted root cause analysis for high-severity security incidents, leading to the identification and resolution of underlying vulnerabilities. Reduced the likelihood of similar incidents occurring by 40%.
- Maintained a weekly rotating on-call schedule, addressing offenses, indicators of compromise, vulnerabilities, and threats, ensuring consistent coverage outside standard business hours.
- Deployed automated playbooks and dashboards within Splunk, streamlining the resolution of incident responses and ServiceNow tickets, ranging from asset recovery to intricate build requests.
- Detected, isolated, and eradicated malware on workstations proactively, fortifying systems to preclude future infections across devices.
- Developed and adhered to standard operating procedures encompassing offense handling, incident response, patch management, vulnerability policies, and training methodologies.
- Steered initiatives to refine App-IDs, augment firewall policies, and bolster network security measures, closely working with Palo Alto to ensure metric-driven outcomes.
IT Security Operations Intern
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- Supported client security policies and activities for networks, systems, and applications, including vulnerability management, incident reporting, mitigation, and continuous monitoring.
- Reviewed security logs to ensure compliance with policies and procedures and identified potential anomalies.
- Monitored the authority's network and internal systems for malicious activity.
- Implemented and checked information system security plans to ensure NIST control requirements were met.
- Ensured cybersecurity policies were adhered to and required controls were implemented, facilitating a continuous monitoring system.
IT Network Intern
Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- Implemented various IT network projects, including installing, configuring, and maintaining network services, hardware systems, and peripheral equipment and devices.
- Enhanced and managed troubleshooting issues associated with routers, proxies, load balancers, firewalls, DNS and DHCP, and switches.
- Monitored outbound and inbound traffic on the Palo Alto Firewall using the Panorama tool. Performed network QA tests, system analysis, and troubleshooting to resolve server, workstation, and other network device problems.
- Supervised the adjustment of radius time servers for Cisco devices to correspond to the new two-factor authentication process with the Duo Mobile app.
- Assisted in the implementation, troubleshooting, and operations maintenance of network systems. Created and tested Cisco router configurations with OSPF and routing protocols.
By creating this honeypot, I demonstrated my ability to understand and replicate the appearance and behavior of genuine services, such as web servers or network devices, within a controlled environment. This involved configuring Linux software tools to mimic these services and make them appear attractive to potential attackers.
Vulnerability Management, Web Technologies, Firewalls, IDS/IPS, Incident Response, Palo Alto Networks, F5 Networks, Cisco Routers, Web Application Firewall (WAF), SIEM, Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response (SOAR), Email, Security Awareness Training, Forensics, Scripting, Governance, Data, Data Loss Prevention (DLP), Cloud Computing, ServiceNow, Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), McAfee DLP, Foreman, SSL Certificates, Skybox
Bachelor's Degree in Cybersecurity
Utica University - Utica, NY, USA
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring