Ruby Gems Developer
Timothy has been a startup co-founder, web agency director, and engineering team lead. His interests lie in solving business problems with technology. He does most of his work in Ruby/Rails, where he has extensive experience building large, non-standard apps that scale excellently. He also has experience on the front-end building interactive user interfaces with React.js and associated tools.
ExperienceBack-end Architecture - 7 yearsAPIs - 5 yearsRuby on Rails (RoR) - 5 yearsRuby Gems - 5 yearsWeb Scraping - 4 yearsRESTful Development - 4 yearsREST APIs - 4 yearsComponent-based Rails Architecture (CBRA) - 2 years
Terminal, Git, Sublime Text, MacOS
The most amazing...
...thing I've created is a system that processed and inferred meaning to millions of sports results every day.
- Built out a system to track all notifications sent to users across various media, including complex notification preferences.
- Created pages for users to set preferences and track their notifications.
- Built interactive summary pages for users to explore their team's network.
Co-founder/Head of Back-end
- Designed and built a secure, stable, scalable API to run four mobile apps and a web app.
- Created a system to scrape/integrate with sources of sports data, inferring meaning to the ingested data, keeping users up-to-date with sports results and schedules. At its peak, it processed millions of data per day, and had 1M+ users.
- Built a data mapper type ORM on top of Active Record to allow greater separation between different parts of the system, leading to significantly improved developer efficiency for very large/complex Rails apps.
- Oversaw all back-end engineering, from system architecture through to hiring and team management.
- Transitioned Mitoo to a MicroSOA architecture (using sneakers/RabbitMQ) to simplify complex data-processing pipelines.
- Designed and built a custom, reusable notification system to simplify and speed up generation of notifications from application events as well as track, log, and report on millions of notifications sent across various media (SMS/email, push).
Head of Back-end Development
- Spearheaded transformation of a large, monolithic, ball-of-mud codebase into a lean modular application capable of scaling.
- Designed and built a secure, stable, scalable API to run a web app + mobile apps.
- Built a notification system capable of automatically sending and individually tracking millions of notifications.
Bit Circus, Ltd.
- Built simple Rails apps to scale, at speed.
- Learned to tread the balance between high-quality, maintainable code and the need to move as quickly as possible to build a successful business.
Head of Software
London Central Communications
- Created a seamless voice recording system and web interface for file retrieval that interfaced with customer PBXs.
- Built a cloud-based preferences and account administration system for Asterisk PBX installations.
Storm - Data Mapper(ish) Style ORM for Railshttps://github.com/tpsherratt/storm
This is the cost of all the wonderful magic that Rails provides, and it means that you can get your projects up and running extremely quickly.
To combat this inevitable slow-down, I built a data mapper style ORM that sits on top of Active Record (i.e., uses its SQL generation, etc.). This enables different engines that do not depend on one another, giving much greater flexibility (at the cost of a little more typing) as products grow very large.
This forced separation means that once a large scale is reached, developers will not be dealing with a web of dependencies, and ultimately, it will be more easily able to split out apps that provide a subset of the main app's functionality, easing the path to an SOA architecture when this becomes inevitable.
See http://cbra.info/ for other people thinking around this topic.
Love Remote Work
Included here to demonstrate full-stack ability, as one of the few public-facing projects I worked on.
Ruby on Rails 4, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Ember.js, Bootstrap, Factory Girl, Django
API Development, JSON API, Segment.io, Pundit, Sidekiq, Rails Engines, REST APIs, Python-rq, CarrierWave, Devise, jQuery, React
JBuilder, Rake, RSpec, Capistrano, RabbitMQ, Sublime Text, Git, Terminal, Servlet, Apache Tomcat, Apache, Asterisk
RESTful Development, Functional Testing, Back-end Architecture, Unit Testing, Agile Software Development, Component-based Rails Architecture (CBRA)
Linux, Amazon EC2, Iron.io, Rackspace, Algolia, MacOS, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
APIs, Web Scraping, API Design, API Testing, Quality Assurance (QA), Micro SOA, Ruby Gems, Keen.io, Branch Metrics, CanCan, Sneakers, PBX, VoIP
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Redis, MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
University of Bristol - Bristol, UK