Verified Expert in Engineering
DevOps Engineer and Software Developer
Torben is a multi-cloud DevOps engineer and solution architect with more than 10 years of professional experience. He delivers high-quality systems fast and improves them incrementally, always keeping skills and knowledge up to date. Torben has multiple certifications, including GCP Professional Cloud Architect, GCP DevOps Engineer, AWS Solutions Architect Associate, and Scrum Master.
Windows, IntelliJ, Java, Spring, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Amazon Web Services (AWS), Serverless
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is a data exchange system for a German government agency. This system supported the integration process of over 5,000 refugees.
IT Architect | VP of Engineering
MOSTLY AI Solutions MP GmbH
- Recommended 17 improvements to the software engineering process and software architecture covering DevOps, agile, architecture, and organizational best practices.
- Created an OpenAPI specification to increase customer reach by 30%.
- Taught C-level management agile and DevOps best practices for further improvement.
Software Architect / Lead Developer
- Increased the net promoter score by over 25 points by reducing customer pain points and technical debt.
- Cut latencies by 85% and increased server throughput by over 600% by optimizing business processes, reworking architecture, and removing database locks.
- Reduced mean time to detect errors by 90% through detailed monitoring and alerting.
Senior Consultant / Software Architect
- Architected, developed, and deployed three cloud-based industry and banking applications.
- Led a team of 13 people in developing a software product on the GCP in under six months. This was the fastest go-live of a cloud system for this customer.
- Proposed over 50 improvements to a bank's ecosystem by presenting and performing a SaaS review.
- Created a DevOps fundamentals course and trained over 50 people.
IT Architect / Consultant
- Architected and developed four data exchange solutions for government agencies, reducing cycle time by 95% and business costs by 90%.
- Implemented DevOps best practices into a software development process to reduce the effort for release and deployment by 85%.
- Reduced change fail percentage by 72% through automation and standardization of the delivery process with Jenkins and Maven.
University of Mannheim
- Worked on an EU research project, DC4Cities, about eco-efficient software engineering with a focus on cost estimation, requirement engineering, and software modeling.
- Published a paper named Fundamental Realization Strategies for Multi-view Specification Environments.
- Published a paper named Increasing Data Center Renewable Power Share via Intelligent Smart City Power Control.
Software Engineer | Student
- Analyzed and automated business processes for quality certifications, reducing process costs by 60%.
- Mentored five new trainees by giving support during onboarding and helping with software development.
- Automated gathering, merging, and duplicate removal of customer contact information in Microsoft Exchange. The data was then used to send Christmas cards and presents.
Integrations with tools like Google Maps maximize customer reach. With DDD and customer needs in mind, I decomposed the monolithic application into independently deployable microservices. I taught a team of 10 people DevOps and Team Topologies principles to reduce time to market and cycle time. Additionally, to implement new features, I refactored the Java codebase to split the old JSP front end and enable the migration for a React-based redesign. This way, I helped reduce system latencies by 85%, leading to faster response times for both restaurateurs and guests. Additionally, I decreased the mean time to detect errors by 90% through effective monitoring and alerting, ensuring the smooth operation of the tool.
These improvements resulted in increased customer satisfaction, as evidenced by a net promoter score increase of over 25 points, reaching a new all-time high in customer satisfaction.
Customer Risk Scoring
Refugee Data Exchange
I was the main architect and developer of this project. In the second half of the project, I used DevOps practices to reduce the change fail percentage by 72% and improved lead time by 86%.
Supply Chain Management
As a scrum master, I supported in working out over 100 improvements of the project process and inter-team communication.
Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate, Selenium, Spring Microservice, Spring Security, Spring JDBC, JPA, Google Protocol Buffer, Serverless Framework, .NET, Angular, AngularJS
REST APIs, Spring REST, Google Maps, Google Maps API, React, Protobuf, OpenAPI
IntelliJ, Jenkins, Bitbucket, Git, Gradle, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Jira, Confluence, Apache Maven, Visual Studio, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, Terraform, GitHub, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), AWS Key Management Service (KMS), Amazon EKS, ELK (Elastic Stack), Kibana, Logstash, Kafka Streams, Helm, Postman, Docker Compose, SonarQube, Azure Machine Learning, AWS IAM, Amazon CloudWatch, AWS CodeDeploy, AWS ELB, Microsoft Visio, IntelliJ IDEA, GitLab, WebStorm, Amazon CloudFront CDN, AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Amazon ElastiCache, AWS Fargate, TeamCity, Visio, Amazon Cognito
DevOps, Scrum, Design Thinking, ITIL, Serverless Architecture, Agile, Agile Workflow, Agile Software Development, REST, Microservices, Microservices Architecture, Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Development (CD), Application Architecture
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Java EE, Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Apache Kafka, Amazon EC2, AWS NLB, AWS Lambda, Windows, Android, Nexus, Oracle, Azure, OpenShift
PostgreSQL, Google Cloud SQL, Spring Data JPA, Google Cloud, Elasticsearch, Datadog, Amazon DynamoDB, Azure SQL Databases, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MySQL, Amazon Aurora, NoSQL, SQLite
Cloud Architecture, Scrum Master, Supply Chain, Software Architecture, ITIL V3 Foundation Certified, Serverless, Containers, Google Cloud Functions, Pub/Sub, ISO 25000, AWS Well-Architected Framework, SaaS, ISO/IEC 9126, System Development, Business, CI/CD Pipelines, Message Queues, DevOps Engineer, ECS, Amazon RDS, Relational Database Services (RDS), Architecture, Spring Cloud, Spring Web Services, Solution Architecture, Technical Leadership, Software Development, APIs, Project Consultancy, Containerization, Orchestration, Container Orchestration, Authentication, Authorization, Single Sign-on (SSO), GitHub Actions, Build Pipelines, System Design, AWS Certified Solution Architect, AWS DevOps, AWS Database Migration Service, Azure Data Lake, AWS Certified DevOps Engineer, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Leadership, Software Design, Protocol Buffers, Load Balancers, Networks, Security, Cloud, Cloud Infrastructure, Technical Architecture, AWS Cloud Architecture, WebLogic, SSL Certificates, RESTful Microservices, Web Applications, Programming, CTO
Master's Degree in Business Informatics
University of Mannheim - Mannheim, Germany
Bachelor's Degree in Business Informatics
Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University (DHBW) - Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional
AWS Certified DevOps Engineer – Professional
AWS Certified Security – Specialty
AWS Certified Database – Specialty
Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Fundamentals
Microsoft Certified: Azure AI Fundamentals
Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals
Professional Cloud DevOps Engineer
Professional Cloud Architect
Associate Cloud Engineer
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate
Certified Scrum Master
DELMIA Quintiq Supply Chain Planning – Technical Consultant
Quintiq, a Dassault Systèmes Company
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
Amazon Web Services
Android Developer Nanodegree
Certified Professional for Software Architecture – Foundation Level
Developing Software Using Design Thinking
ITIL v3 Foundation
Microsoft Certified Professional