Verified Expert in Engineering
Backend and DevOps Developer
Yağız is a prominent software engineer who has been involved in multiple projects targeting full-stack web development, machine and deep learning–computer vision and NLP specifically– and DevOps more recently. With such a comprehensive background, Yağız is always up for a challenge and loves solving problems as efficiently as possible. Even though he prefers using Python, Yağız continuously strives to find the best available tool for the given task.
Linux, Docker, Terraform, GitHub, GitLab, Fastly, Python, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Python 3
The most amazing...
...thing I’ve worked on was the revamp of a fully serverless web app based on Next.js and backed by a GrahpQL layer to the existing CMS.
- Worked on migrating the infrastructure of legacy projects to enable more than 60% cost reduction. Was responsible for containerization through Docker, integration to CI/CD, and creation and management of Kubernetes clusters for hosting on AWS.
- Oversaw moving off a major news site from its custom platform to a shared one with no downtime, resulting in increased revenue and improved user experience.
- Took part in a content ingestion project that used AWS Lambda to ingest content from various vendors and upload it to CMS. The platform was designed as fully serverless and highly scalable.
- Integrated several external tools to our systems, such as Datadog, Flagsmith, Kubecost, Selenium Grid, and the ELK Stack–Elastic, Logstash, and Kibana.
- Worked with various CI/CD tools, such as Travis, GitHub Actions, and AWS CodeBuild that deploy to highly scalable environments, Serverless, and Kubernetes, to free developers from architectural concerns.
- Created various Slack bots aimed to notify and provide visibility for non-technical personnel.
- Served as the point person on a project focused on creating a new video player using VideoJS to increase ad revenue. Worked on connecting to the back end through a custom GrahpQL layer, implementing ads and analytics on the player.
- Implemented a GraphQL layer to allow new projects to interact with various other services, such as CMS, ad servers, and analytics. Worked on designing and implementing it to be suitable for very high loads.
- Oversaw a project to create various visualizations of COVID-19 data, including geospatial (maps), time series, and numeric data using React and D3.
UlakFin Financial Technology Services
- Developed a system from scratch to crawl news sites, process textual data, and generate sentiments and predictions on financial stock prices. Implemented and optimized various deep neural networks for text classification.
- Took part in an OCR project that aimed to convert financial data in images to CSV format. Was responsible for segmentation of images and prediction of text in given segments.
- Used Python as the project language. Used Scrapy and BeautifulSoup for website crawling and parsing, PyMongo for database operations, OpenCV and PIL for segmentation, Numpy and Pandas for processing, and PyTorch for predictions.
- Utilized traditional computer vision methods, such as Edge detectors, filters, etc., for segmentation and modern deep learning approaches (CNNs, LSTMs) for text prediction.
During the project, I was in charge of creating workflows on the front end, adding and managing the GraphQL layer with the highest performance possible, so it would be capable of handling a high volume of requests with minimal overhead, and managing the infrastructure of which the project stood on.
I used various tools to ensure the team followed the proper development and deployment processes while making the app robust, highly available, and highly scalable.
I've worked on several parts of the video player, such as connecting to the back end through a GrahpQL layer, integrating an existing platform, and implementing ads and analytics.
Flask, Video.js, Next.js, Scrapy, Bootstrap, Redux, Express.js, MUI (Material UI)
React, NumPy, PyTorch, REST APIs, OpenCV, Pandas, SQLAlchemy, Web API, GitHub API, Node.js, D3.js, Vue, OpenGL, React Redux
Terraform, Fastly, Amazon EKS, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), AWS CloudFormation, AWS IAM, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), AWS Fargate, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Amazon ElastiCache, Docker Compose, GitHub, Git, Amazon CloudWatch, Jira, Celery, AWS Systems Manager, GitLab, Slack, Vim Text Editor, Bitbucket, Elastic, NGINX
REST, API/Services Architecture, Agile, Microservices, CRUD, Microservices Architecture, Kanban, Automation, DevOps, Serverless Architecture, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Deployment
Linux, Docker, AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Amazon EC2, Ubuntu, Web, Kubernetes, Arch Linux, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), JSON, NoSQL, Databases, RDBMS, Relational Databases, Datadog, MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon Aurora, Redis, Elasticsearch
Starlette, Amazon RDS, Amazon Route 53, APIs, AWS Cloud Architecture, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Architecture, Subnet, Networking, RESTful Services, Software Architecture, Back-end, Back-end Development, API Integration, Cloud Architecture, Lambda Functions, React Hooks, Containers, Web Services, Mathematics, Algorithms, HTTP, Web Development, Cloud, Web App Development, JSON REST APIs, SSH, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, Debugging, Aiohttp, Apollo, CI/CD Pipelines, Amazon API Gateway, DevOps Engineer, AWS DevOps, Web Scraping, CSV File Processing, Scraping, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Network Protocols, Storage, API Gateways, BlazeMeter, Message Queues, Full-stack Development, Serverless, Full-stack, Bootstrap 5, Distributed Systems, Machine Learning, Deployment, Front-end, Conda, Scalability, Pipelines, Front-end Development, Third-party APIs, Gatsby, Natural Language Processing (NLP), IPC, Responsive Web Apps, Infrastructure, Containerization, Code Review, Data Analytics, Data Engineering, Async/Await, Platforms, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), GitOps, WebSockets, User Interface (UI), UI Components, Monitoring, Single Sign-on (SSO), Time Series, Robotics, Analytics, Web Analytics, Segment, Fintech
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering
Middle East Technical University - Ankara, Turkey