Verified Expert in Design
Jamal is a full-stack product design professional with a record of stewarding acclaimed app experiences over the past 15 years, from marketing campaigns for Google, Mekanism, Sony, and Sega to mobile social games like MLB Victus. Jamal has also delivered designs for consumer mobile products, such as HotelTonight, Snag, and Homebase, and human-machine interfaces (HMI) for autonomous robotics for Saildrone, Motional, and Gatik AI.
Lead Product Designer
- Created a semantic projection of the AV perception stack by converting computer-readable sensor data into a human-readable 3D interactive environment as a UX foundation for remote operators to resolve road scenarios with waypoint circumvention tools.
- Designed and validated a set of waypoint-based circumvention tools with user testing to establish a functional baseline of UX design patterns as a proprietary interaction model for Gatik's remote AV operations.
- Established a unique 3D object-based design system for remote operational software, providing a cohesive set of guidelines and leveraging components that ensure a consistent and highly intuitive experience.
- Designed and conducted research experiments to validate the hardware configuration for the remote operator workstation.
Lead Product Designer
- Led design and UX research activities across a multidisciplinary team, including operations, human factors research, technical program, product management, and engineering.
- Provided strategic assessments and planning for an RVA roadmap and designed resources to meet company OKR goals.
- Stewarded foundational research and HMI workstation platform assessments for an MVP.
- Designed and implemented the MVP, including a 3D human-readable interface.
- Built an RVA design system based on the human factor and UX research, leveraging past scientific research, data, and metrics from experimentation on the platform.
- Benchmarked and iterated on design to improve the RVA operator's effectiveness and efficiency.
- Delivered a beyond-the-screen product, designing a comprehensive RVA service and workspace, including defining HMI, input mechanisms, station setup, and operational flow.
Lead Product Designer
- Implemented a real estate web page to evaluate homeownership vs. renting in the local bay area city for a Keller Williams client.
- Led the data visualization for HotelTonight's Hotel Partner Exchange market manager dashboard to identify inventory anomalies, manage market areas' room availability potential, and increase the competitiveness of market rates.
- Optimized the design of the video campaign dashboard for the Engajer platform, UX process-defined product features, and visualized engagement data on the upcoming platform feature.
Head of Design
- Leveraged user research and information architecture practices on desktop app scheduling, increasing subscription conversions by 4%.
- Optimized employee onboarding funnels on mobile apps (iOS and Android) by 28%.
- Deployed an agnostic design system across responsive UI, Android, and iOS apps for a user base that engages with SaaS products across desktop and mobile device platforms.
Senior Product Designer
- Implemented a mobile design system to standardize UX and UI patterns and a design scaffold for employee-based marketplace Snagajob products for the Snag company rebrand.
- Led mobile design for annual vision-type product exercises and prototype explorations.
- Launched a standalone messaging application to enhance communication between constituent users of a dual-sided hourly worker marketplace.
- Led the design of an Android app that was awarded Google Play Store Editors' Choice in 2018.
Director of Product Design
- Captured and documented various domain feature knowledge and organized it into a baseline task flow for drone operations and iterative feature enhancements (operational task flow management).
- Utilized spatial data interfaces to leverage UI/UX interactions to consolidate scientific, navigational, and atmospheric data models into unified operational user interfaces for open ocean autonomous vehicle management.
- Defined the UX for drone route management from mobile devices.
Senior Product Designer
- Launched an MVP mobile web app product in a six-week timeline with internal development and product teams.
- Led the UX design for a seven-day/five-night calendar widget for the mobile web app launch.
- Headed HT.com's UI/UX design for HT.com with an optimized SEO funnel to mobile web booking UI.
- Optimized hotel partners' exchange inventory loading dashboard to increase 12-day room inventory loading by 34%.
- Led the design of the first responsive mobile UI of a hotel partner exchange app that increased same-day room inventory loading by 28%.
Co-founder | Creative Director
- Stewarded the design for a real-time Major League Baseball iOS app called MLB Victus. Served as the lead designer on pitch predictive gameplay feature development.
- Led the design of the Major League Mechanics iOS app and subscription service for Scott Erickson, a former All-Star MLB pitcher and coach. Stewarded full user flow, interface, and brand and marketing design assets needed to build the brand and product.
- Led the design of the Physenex Beta Auction web app design that provides physical oil traders with a web-based tool designed to give buyers and sellers opportunities to increase profitability and unlock previously unreachable deals. Launched in 2014.
Product Designer and Manager
- Led the user experience and interface design for two emerging product derivatives of the Engajer Platform focused on video campaign tracking and analytics dashboard and optimized campaign setup for user task flows.
- Headed the design and development of the initial website launch of Draper University, a startup incubator founded by venture capitalist Tim Draper.
- Exclusively designed, developed, and marketed an iPad App called Functns. I saw an opportunity to improve antiquated methods and practices of multiplication tables thru technology. Functns had 104,000 downloads across 65 countries worldwide, c. 2013.
- Directed the design and development of Google's first broadcast ad during the Super Bowl—Search Stories YouTube channel—for viewing UGC videos. Exceeded expectations by 423% in the first four days of the soft launch before the 6-week campaign.
- Served as the lead designer of Google Nexus One YouTube Channel, Google's first mobile hardware device by HTC, for promoting the cutting-edge features of Android running on the Nexus One device. The project was launched in December 2009.
- Led the team that designed, developed, and launched the Google Mobile YouTube Channel to promote the features of Google Apps on Android, iOS, and Windows devices.
- Awarded the Webby Award in 2010 for Branded Content People's Voice, Google Search Stories.
Interactive Technical Director
- Directed the UX for an award-winning marketing campaign for Frito-Lay (Tostitos), Awards: D&AD Yellow Pencil: Best Web/Micro Sites; The One Show: Best Microsite Product: Silver; and Addy National: Best of Division and Interactive Media and Gold Websites.
- Led the UX for an award-winning marketing campaign Dodge Ram Challenge for BBDO (Agency). Awards: OMMA Awards: Automotive Website Excellence, Addy National: Gold Websites, Consumer-Flash, FWA Site Of The Day.
- Stewarded the UX for an award-winning marketing campaign Rockband.com for MTV/Harmonix Games. Awards: Webby Awards: Nominee Games-Related Category.
- Directed the UX for an award-winning internal branding website, Mekanism.com. Awards: Addy National: Gold Advertising Industry Self-Promotion, Addy National: Silver Website, self-promotion.
- Led the UX for an award-winning marketing campaign Letsgreenthiscity.com for PG&E. Awards: Addy National: Silver Public Service, Interactive, Webby Award: Nominee Activism Category.
- Stewarded the UX for an award-winning marketing campaign, The Fixers for Axe (Unilever). Award: FWA Site Of The Day.
- Directed the UX for an award-winning marketing campaign NeedforSpeed.com for EA Games. Award: Addy National: Gold Websites, Consumer Flash.
UI Designer | ActionScript Developer
- Launched Microsoft's award-winning Vista OS viral marketing campaign clarification for a boutique ad agency called Mekanism.
- Spearheaded Microsoft's Windows Mobile interactive video web campaign for Mekanism.
- Launched a video-centric website for broadcast health expert Dr. Nancy Snyderman called UnderstandingHealth.com in 2005.
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Industrial Design
Rochester Institute of Technology - Rochester, NY, USA
Spatial Data Science and Applications