Vancouver, WA, United States
Member since January 3, 2016
Micah uses brand design and illustration to tell stories on behalf of his clients. He believes that design must identify a need, stir a desire for change, and shed light on a path that is uniquely helpful, hopeful, and human.
- Illustrator2017 - PRESENTGoogle (via Toptal)
Technologies: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
- Created high-impact posters to promote an ongoing speaker series hosted by Google's Empathy Lab.
- Designed a psychedelic, 60's inspired alphabet to visually distinguish the poster text in a clean, modern environment.
- Illustrated a wide array of animals and characters to highlight the fun, inquisitive nature of the Empathy Lab.
- Helped the client re-envision the project scope and deliverables to meet the budget and tight deadlines.
- Illustrator | Designer2015 - PRESENTMicah Bowers Design
Technologies: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe After Effects, Adobe InDesign
- Developed brand identities by creating engaging visuals and stories that help companies communicate the unique value that they offer to customers.
- Specialized in creating custom illustrations that support a company's brand messaging and bring life and energy to written content.
- Created bright and cheerful animations that explain the usefulness of digital products in an easy-to-understand way.
- Crafted one-of-a-kind words and letters for logos, websites, and advertisements.
- Provided art-direction to companies in order to reach customers by outlining and implementing a specific mood at the start of each project.
- Illustrator and Presentation Designer2018 - 2018Deloitte (via Toptal)
Technologies: Adobe Illustrator, PowerPoint
- Designed an on-brand presentation template for a team focused on the future of healthcare technology.
- Illustrated a set of compelling storyboard frames to make the teams healthcare vision more relatable.
- Reviewed the team's narrative and provided practical feedback to make the presentation more engaging.
- Senior Onboarding Designer2017 - 2017Acupic: Bryxe (via Toptal)
Technologies: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
- Delivered a set of 5 illustrations that integrate icons from Bryxe's UI with scenes of exploration and discovery.
- Refreshed the onboarding messaging accompanying each illustration to be more clear and captivating.
- Updated the signup button text to motivate new users with an opportunity to "opt-in" on each screen.
- Consulted with Bryxe's senior UI designer to create more intuitive signup options.
- Performed a detailed brand messaging assessment to help clarify Bryxe's onboarding focus.
- Brand Illustrator | Animator2016 - 2016CheckMate (via Toptal)
Technologies: Illustrator, After Effects
- Created engaging storyboard concepts for word-of-mouth networking app's onboarding screens.
- Wrote a compact-yet-powerful script for CheckMate app's onboarding sequence.
- Designed nine original characters to help effectively communicate the app's ability to connect users to professionals in different fields of expertise.
- Provided color direction to enliven the overall mood of the onboarding animations.
- Animated four vignettes in a way that powerfully demonstrated the app's usefulness.
- Branding Expert2016 - 2016Arrow (via Toptal)
Technologies: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, After Effects
- Developed a brand story and user journey outline to connect the Arrow app with emotions and experiences that people can relate to.
- Provided art direction and styling inspiration for the look and feel of the Arrow app.
- Created a compelling visual identity for the Arrow app, including logo, logotype, app icons, app typography, and app color scheme.
- Refined in-app copywriting to better reflect Arrow's brand story and make the onboarding process clearer.
- Created a set of five dynamic animations to add excitement and energy to the Arrow app's onboarding screens.
- Logotype Designer2016 - 2016Reserve Direct (via Toptal)
Technologies: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop
- Created a custom word mark and logo system for a large, online travel booking website.
- Designed a versatile type system that allows for destination city names of varying length to be placed with the logo.
- Generated 15 custom word mark sketches and explored a wide range of typographic styles.
- Worked within the framework of a brand positioning document that client had in place prior to the start of the project.
- Met a client's tight turnaround needs and delivered a new logo system in under three weeks.
- Graphic Designer2012 - 2015Image360
Technologies: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop
- Helped with the launch of a business by handling design, production, and installation of signage and vehicle graphics for the first year and a half of operating.
- Developed a workflow checklist that organized the entire process of a project from client inquiry to final delivery and payment.
- Oversaw, operated, and developed best-practices documents for large format print production equipment.
- Created a design services package that allowed the business to increase profits from design and prepress tasks.
- Worked as part of a three-person crew that saw monthly sales go from $1,500 to over $30,000 in three years.
- Graphic Designer2010 - 2011Purdue Envision Center
Technologies: Adobe Illustrator
- Designed promotional print items and displays for Purdue's haptic lab technologies.
- Conceptualized, shot, and edited promotional videos highlighting faculty research.
- Collaborated with staff designers from various Purdue departments to create promotional displays highlighting interdisciplinary collaboration with the Envision Center.
- Led tours and operated demonstrations of Purdue's immersive "3-D Cave" technology.
- Oversaw use and operation of the department's large format printer.
- The Origins of Bad Logo Redesigns (Publication)A logo redesign without controversy is like a workout with no sweat. It's possible, but is it impactful? We scrutinize high-drama logo updates and ask why they caught fire in the public arena.
- Expert Perspectives on the State of Design Education (Publication)Aspiring designers have more educational opportunities than any time in history. Do the available options provide worthwhile design training, or are they simply clever money-making schemes?
- How to Transition from UX Designer to UX Consultant (Publication)What does a UX consultant do? More importantly, what does it take for a UX designer to become a consultant and thrive?
- Card Sorting: Better Information Architecture by Aligning with Users' Mental Models (Publication)Users shouldn’t need insider knowledge to find what they’re looking for on the web. Card sorting lets designers create intuitive UX by organizing content the way customers do in their minds.
- Logo History 101 – A Walkthrough of Lasting Impressions (Publication)Join us on a journey through the annals of design history, and test your knowledge of famous logos along the way.
- What is Branding? Everything is Branding. (Publication)From personal brands to anti-brands, we’ve entered an age of incessant brand awareness. Branding is everywhere, but is everything branding?
- If You're Not Using UX Data, It's Not UX Design (Publication)Intuition and experience without UX data lead to a dangerous assumption: Designer knows best. We’re drawing a line in the sand: If it’s not based on user research, it’s not UX design.
- Why You Don’t Need Design Education (Publication)For decades, a design diploma was the golden ticket to career opportunity. As this path now faces scrutiny, we examine the issues plaguing design institutions and offer radical solutions for change.
- Color Theory for Designers – A Crash Course (with Infographic) (Publication)Color: It’s stunningly beautiful and maddeningly deceptive. Use this color theory field guide (with an infographic) to make lightning-quick color choices with unwavering confidence.
- The Chat Crash – When a Chatbot Fails (Publication)There’s much confusion and hyperbole surrounding chatbots. The tech is promising, but the user experience is lacking. We examine five chatbot fails and share practical tips to improve their UX.
- A Day in the Freelance Life – Getting to Know Toptal Designers (Publication)Are remote-working and freelancing viable options for designers? We interview Toptal designers to discover how they’re forging freelance careers with meaningful work for high-impact global companies.
- Dissecting the Intricacies of Typography Anatomy (with Infographic) (Publication)The letters used to construct our written languages have their own anatomical features. Here is a collection of lesser-known letter parts that every designer should be aware of (with an awesome infographic).
- UX Research Methods and the Path to User Empathy (Publication)How can designers move beyond personal insights to understand the problems users face? We introduce time-tested UX research methods that inspire user empathy and lead to better user experiences.
- Words Matter – The True Value of UX Copy (Publication)Well-crafted words improve UX and provide people with decision-making clarity. We explore the true value of UX copy and provide sensible writing tips for greater user engagement.
- UX Portfolio Tips and Best Practices (Publication)This guide shows UX designers how to craft a brilliant portfolio by examining questions about process and sharing practical design tips.
- eCommerce 101: Understanding Shopping Cart Abandonment (with Infographic) (Publication)An illuminating infographic highlights ten eCommerce pain points that ruin the user experience and lead to shopping cart abandonment.
- A Spectrum of Possibilities: The Go-To UI Color Guide (Publication)Color is the master key to compelling design communication, but UI designers must learn to wield its power. This guide simplifies color theory concepts and shows designers how to use color with precision.
- Creating a UI Style Guide for Better UX (Publication)A consistent UI leads to a better UX. But with so many moving parts in modern user interfaces, how can UI designers be sure they’re staying true to a digital product’s look and feel?
- Icon Usability and Design Best Practices (Publication)The ultimate aim of icon design is to enhance the user experience. But what does that look like, and how can UI designers ensure that the icons they make will be easily understood?
- UI Design Best Practices and Common Mistakes (Publication)The most progressive and interesting designers steer clear of visually stale design solutions and ditch restrictive rules by learning UI design best practices and avoiding common design mistakes.
- Design News – Innovation from Around the Globe - April '18 (Publication)Every month, we bring you riveting design news and inspiring content focused on design. Here are five hand-picked pieces of design news.
- Power of the Pen – A Hand Lettering Tutorial (Publication)Hand lettering is an art form in revival and a powerful branding tool. See inspiring examples from the world’s best letterers and learn a step-by-step approach to start your own lettering practice.
- Design News – Innovation from Around the Globe - January '18 (Publication)The inaugural issue of Toptal Design World News. Every month, we bring you riveting design news and inspiring content focused on design.
- Presentation Design and the Art of Visual Storytelling (Publication)Discover a practical approach to designing results-oriented presentations and learn the importance of crafting a compelling narrative.
- Design the Future: The Tools and Products That Await Us (Publication)New design tools are emerging at an incredible rate, but the future promises a vast array of astonishing tools that will forever change the way designers think and work.
- Brand Illustration 101: Visualizing the Narrative (Publication)A brand is a promise. This article outlines how illustrations are being used to express brand value and how businesses are investing substantial time and resources into extensive brand illustration systems.
- How to Create Custom Fonts: 7 Steps and 3 Case Studies (Publication)Designers love to hate some fonts. We're introducing a simple process and seven easy steps that can quickly transform a typeface into something better and can turn a font into a beautiful logotype.
- Design Constraints: Why Saying "No" is so Effective (Publication)We can harness the power of constraints by consciously choosing to place strict limits on design options, and we needn’t look beyond our own smartphones to find compelling examples of how this works.
- Don't Underestimate the Power of Your Brand Story (Publication)With practice, designers can develop a unique voice and create brands that are infused with unexpected strands of meaning and purpose that thrill clients and the people they’re trying to reach.
- Master of Fine Arts degree in Electronic Time-based Arts2008 - 2011Purdue University - West Lafayette, IN, USA
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design2004 - 2008Purdue University - West Lafayette, IN, USA