Verified Expert in Design
Simon has more than 15 years of experience in the creative industry. He became an integral part of agencies, such as MC Saatchi, VML, and Ogilvy—where he led various creative teams. He has worked with the world's largest brands and transformed emerging brands into competitive entities. His focus is interactive and experience design. Simon constantly pursues meaningful storytelling through design that makes a difference in people's lives.
Senior Interactive Designer | Owner
- Acted as the interactive art director and owner of a small creative business, servicing various clients: Smirnoff, MWEB, Old Mutual, Distell, Yardley, Heineken, and smaller startup brands.
- Managed my responsibilities: digital design, UI/UX, interaction design, experiential design, activations, strategy, ideation, print design, sound and motion design, and motion storyboarding.
- Expanded the client list through proactive pitch work. Came to appreciate working with smaller brands, such as Pierre Cronje, RecoMed, Axiom Capital, and others.
- Fostered stronger and more personal relationships with clients—better understanding their brand identities.
Creative Lead | Designer
- Spearheaded creative direction over three years, as the business underwent various growth cycles, from product to multi-service focus. Produced impactful content resulting in major partnerships with brands like Airbnb and VRBO.
- Revamped all brand communication channels (ATL, TTL, BTL) with a 360-degree approach, enhancing each point of contact to maintain brand integrity, in line with the evolving business goals.
- Worked with various communication channels, including web and app design, brand identity, social media, print media, product/service landing pages, mailer campaigns, and presentation/pitch materials, alongside creating brand illustrations.
- Met all creative and strategic deadlines without fail.
Lead Creative | Product Manager
- Designed and conceptualized the CoinCentral identity for print and digital.
- Designed multiple brand product identities, focussing on user acquisition.
- Designed various infographics, supporting brand products and blog content.
- Joined Toptal projects to design and strategize a complete CoinCentral web experience for the web and mobile. Responsibilities included: strategy and planning, UX, UI design, web and mobile, user testing, and prototyping.
- Designed their subscription bases SaaS product, The Crypto Lab. Responsibilities included: strategy and planning, UX, UI design, web and mobile, user testing, and prototyping.
- Designed a host of social media and digital advertising campaigns for the brand's launch and multiple product launches.
- Worked on multiple core product components; infographics, interactive PDFs, interactive currency exchange, mailers, blog, etc.
- Worked on various product sales pages to increase new member acquisitions and current member conversion rates.
- Designed an informative, engaging, and always up-to-date crypto portfolio web/mobile guide, using infographics as a guide for aesthetics.
Upswing Poker (via Toptal)
- Re-evaluated the brand's overall presence through strategic design thinking, aiming to increase brand market traction and product conversion.
- Developed a coherent brand identity to envelop and support all the brand's premium poker products.
- Created various product identities. Designed and strategized product landing pages (web and mobile) with high conversion rates as a key aim.
- Worked on a complete website overhaul. Redesigned the Upswing Poker website starting with content evaluation and review, UX, UI, and user testing (web and mobile).
- Designed multiple social media campaigns and digital advertising media campaigns for product launches and brand awareness.
Sara Chandlee (via Toptal)
- Worked closely with the company CEO to develop and design brand experiences for Sara Chandlee clients.
- Designed and developed various client brand identities.
- Designed various websites for Sara Chandlee clients: UX, UI, web, and mobile.
- Designed brand identity collateral for the SaraChandlee brand.
- Worked on the art direction and photography for various SaraChandlee clients.
Threpsis (via Toptal)
- Created user journeys and UX for an MVP Nutritional app for Threpsis.
- Worked closely with the client to identify target markets.
- Reevaluated and assessed the client's digital brand identity.
- Designed a platform for people that are conscious about their health and diets.
- Designed infographic tables explaining day-to-day meals and menus.
- Created an MVP prototype of the app for their investor presentation.
- Prioritized my time well to deliver a working product prototype within a week; the turnaround time was incredibly tight.
Visual and Product Designer for Marketing
Point (via Toptal)
- Designed content for various marketing channels for the Point brand.
- Worked on the brand's identity and user experience.
- Reworked areas of their website and product pages.
- Worked on several social media and ad campaigns promoting new products and features.
- Worked on several presentations, including one Pecha Kucha product.
- Designed various print communication for their traditional communication channels.
Senior Interactive Art Director
M&C Saatchi Abel
- Kickstarted and led the digital creative team for a full-service creative agency.
- Led successful digital projects, campaigns, and products for various brands—one of note was a social platform built for Heineken.
- Managed my responsibilities successfully, including the UI/UX, interaction design, experiential design, activations, strategy, ideation, print design, sound and motion design, motion storyboarding, animation design, and digital design.
- Received three local and international honors and awards, including Creative Marketer of the Year for Heineken at Cannes.
- Worked on brands like Pepsi Co., Heineken, Takealot.com, Yardley, Nedbank, MWEB, StreetStore, and others.
Senior Interactive Art Director
- Led the digital creative team for a full-service digital agency. Worked with the best UI/UX teams in South Africa.
- Handled my responsibilities successfully: team management, UI/UX, interaction design, experiential design, activations, strategy, ideation, print design, sound and motion design, motion storyboarding, animation design, and digital design.
- Received over 30 local and international honors and awards, including agency of the year. International honors are rewarded by Cannes Lions, Webby Awards, SXSW, and others.
- Worked on brands like General Motors, Nestlé, The Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Pernod Ricard, Distell, Nedbank, Standard Bank, Vodafone, Metropolitan, Samsung, SAPPI, South Africa Tourism, and others.
- Helped the agency provide full 360-degree services: ATL, BTL, and TTL. Gathered a lot of experience in all these major channels.
- Managed my responsibilities successfully, including print design, sound and motion design, motion storyboarding, animation design, digital design, UI/UX, activations, strategy, and ideation.
- Worked on large brands, such as KFC, Coca-Cola, Bakers, SAB Miller, Sun International, Land Rover, Kellogg's, IBM, BP, Lucozade, Colgate, Audi, and others.
Designer | Animator
- Worked on sound and motion design. The work revolved around television channel branding.
- Worked on brands like MNet, MNet Africa, DSTV, and MTV.
- Handled my responsibilities successfully, including design, sound and motion design, motion storyboarding, animation design, and ideation.
Bachelor's Degree with Honors in Information Design
University of Pretoria - Pretoria, South Africa