Desmond Rory Duffy
Verified Expert in Finance
Rory helped raise $50 million in equity and debt capital—creating investor decks and dynamic financial models for a Silicon Valley company. He's qualified as a chartered accountant with PriceWaterhouseCoopers and has an engineering background with international experience in multiple industries. Rory joined Toptal to help new companies build out financial business modeling tools and enable them to achieve their financial goals.
VP of Finance
- Led the external fundraising efforts with the CEO for Seed and Series A funding rounds of $6 million and $22 million respectively, as well as ~$10 million in follow-on equity bridge financing. The main investors were Upfront, Promus Ventures, Qualcomm, Allstate, Formation 8, and Lightbank.
- Secured $10 million from a Silicon Valley bank, comprised of $5 million in term loan debt and $5 million in working capital facilities.
- Secured $15 million of convertible debt finance from Harman (acquired by Samsung). This was in parallel with the marketing department also securing a distribution agreement with Harman for Navdy products.
- Built out all financial models for internal projections and external fundraising efforts.
- Created the financial and reporting systems and recruited staff for the company.
- Oversaw the legal and corporate governance matters for the company, implementing an e-shares platform and handling investor communications.
SMC Power Public Company Limited
- Oversaw the transition from automotive to a renewable energy-focused company which involved selling legacy assets, renegotiating outstanding debenture and bank debt, reclassifying listing with the stock exchange of Thailand, restructuring costs, and recruiting new staff for new business areas.
- Completed the financing for two 10 MW waste-to-energy projects of ~$30 million each—where one was an all-equity deal and the other was composed of 40% in equity and 60% in bank financing.
- Obtained an agreement for €100 million in equity funding for CIGS Solar manufacturing facilities in the US and Asia.
- Oversaw the financial management of an international group of companies covering Sweden, Thailand, US, and Singapore.
- Implemented NetSuite ERP—resulting in upgraded manufacturing processes and one integrated management reporting platform across multiple companies and countries.
- Built and maintained financial models for internal projections, external fundraising, existing investors, and banks.
Chartered Accountant in Accounting
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales - United Kingdom
Bachelor's Degree with Honors in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
University of Manchester, Institute of Science and Technology - Manchester, United Kingdom