Toronto, ON, Canada
Member since February 13, 2017
After receiving his MBA from the University of Toronto, Lelian worked as an investment banker on several billion-dollar M&A transactions, including the takeover of Canadian Oil Sands by Suncor Energy for $6.6 billion. Subsequently, he became the CFO of a Toronto tech startup, for which he successfully led a seed financing round. As a freelancer, Lelian enjoys helping companies who need his expertise in financial modeling and valuation.
- Founder & CEO2017 - PRESENTTuio Payments
- Prepared business plan and incorporated business.
- Designed the mock up of the MVP.
- Built a pipeline of outbound and inbound leads.
- Managed the product development cycle.
- Defined the pricing strategy and corresponding financial projections.
- Chief Financial Officer2016 - 2017Hubbli
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Investor Communications, Fundraising
- Led the efforts of the company’s seed financing round ($200k) as the VP of Corporate Development; subsequently promoted to CFO.
- Worked closely with the CEO to devise a strategy that tripled monthly recurring revenue within 6 months of implementation.
- Initiated and closed a key partnership with a payment processing company that has already paid for itself and will be the catalyst for future growth.
- Built and maintained a financial model for internal projections.
- Prepared presentations for current and potential investors and board members.
- M&A Investment Banking Associate2014 - 2016CIBC Capital Markets
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Modeling
- Helped in the preparation of draft proxy materials and presentations to the Board of Directors. While part of the team, advised Suncor on its takeover of Canadian Oil Sands for $6.6 billion. Also prepared a green sheet for institutional investors, and placed outbound calls to large shareholders of COS stock in order to incite them to tender to the offer.
- Built an operating model, valuation models (DCF, LBO), and ran comparable and precedent transactions analyses while on the team advising Canexus Corporation on its sale to Superior Plus Corp for $932 million. Prepared presentations to Canexus' Board of Directors as well as management presentation for potential bidders. Finally, coordinated site visits and prepared Fairness Opinion for review by CIBC's Fairness Review Committee.
- Led and coordinated due diligence efforts with the sell side while part of the team advising iCON Infrastructure on its acquisition of Capstone Infrastructure for $1.6 billion.
- Led the restructuring analysis for a $295 million recapitalization of North American Palladium, which determined the recapitalization mix among debt holders and shareholders. Also coordinated drafting and execution of the definitive agreement between all parties.
- Participated in the drafting of the proxy documents and underlying analyses that were instrumental in refuting the claims of Polar Securities, an activist hedge fund who launched a proxy battle against Central Gold Trust and Silver Bullion Trust, and which led to shareholder votes in favor of our clients.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in General Management2012 - 2014University of Toronto - Toronto, Canada
- Bachelor's degree in International Business2006 - 2010University of Westminster - London, UK