Leonardo Laranjeira Gomes
Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Leo is a seasoned consultant and supply chain Ph.D. from MIT/ZLC with 15 years of experience and a track record of 50+ projects related to strategy, operations, and finance. His past clients include leading companies such as FedEx (transportation), Fleury (healthcare), Walmart (retail), Natura (CPG), and Santander (financial services). After working for global firms (Kearney and EY) and prestigious boutiques (ILOS and Galeazzi), Leo joined Toptal for its diverse client base and flexibility.
ILOS - Institute of Logistics and Supply Chain
- Led several client engagements in logistics and supply chain strategy and transformation, including procurement, transportation, inventory, S&OP, warehousing, network design, organizational structure, technology, processes, and KPIs.
- Built a multi-industry client base, including consumer packaged goods, industrial equipment, retail, transportation, and pharmaceuticals.
- Codirected the firm's overall management, being in charge of the strategy, commercial and project committees.
- Implemented several internal improvements related to sales (CRM and commercial strategy), project methodologies, recruiting methods, and expansion to international markets.
Head of Advisory
- Led the structuring of the business unit and was in charge of creating its service lines and structure, including formulating methodologies and internal policies, recruiting and training the team, commercial activities, and overseeing operations.
- Headed the entire business unit and handled its P&L.
- Managed over 20 engagements for M&A and capital raising advisory in several industries, such as financial services, automotive, healthcare, infrastructure, consumer electronics, agribusiness, and food and beverage.
- Led top management consulting engagements involving strategic planning, M&A strategy, and operations strategy.
Strategic Operations Senior Expert
- Led the operations strategy redesign effort within a company-wide turnaround program of a major global transportation company with USD 25 million savings.
- Led procurement transformation and strategic sourcing initiatives, including CapEx and logistics for a major retailer resulting in a savings of USD 5 million.
- Restructured the logistics operations model of a healthcare company in Brazil with USD 3 million in savings.
- Participated in operational due diligence for a target food manufacturer.
PhD Candidate | Teaching and Research Assistant
MIT - Zaragoza Logistics Center
- Led consulting activities for redesigning the overall supply chain strategy of a leading European consumer goods company.
- Taught master's students, as a teaching assistant, in the Finance & Supply Chain Management course in the fall of 2016, 2017, and 2018.
- Participated in an EU-funded applied research on supply chain risk management for multimodal trade lanes.
- Conducted PhD research and successfully defended the doctoral dissertation titled "Exploration & Exploitation: Balancing Product Innovation and Supply Chain Performance in Consumer Goods Manufacturing."
Galeazzi & Associados
- Led several cost-reduction and performance improvement initiatives in the financial services industry, involving zero-based budgeting and strategic sourcing of USD 500 million in savings.
- Managed business relationships with the client's senior team.
- Conducted monthly presentations to the client's CEO and board.
Minsait (formerly EuroPraxis Consulting)
- Led the financial work stream in developing a preliminary business plan for a USD 5+ billion public-private partnership (PPP) consisting of an innovative multi-modal transportation system involving roads, rail, pipelines, and logistics platforms.
- Participated in the development of a long-term passenger and cargo demand study for supporting the clients in an airport auction, leading to a winning bid of USD 1 billion for a 35-year concession.
- Conducted a corporate-wide business process modeling effort for supporting SAP system implementation in a major nationwide consumer goods company.
- Developed and implemented a business and operations turnaround plan for an industrial machinery manufacturer. This initiative made it possible for a financially distressed client to start obtaining positive financial figures within six months.
- Developed and implemented a business development and M&A approach for an engineering and infrastructure conglomerate.
- Led the operating strategic planning initiative for improving performance and supporting a 2-digit annual expected growth at an industrial federation.
- Headed the business plan development for a nationwide educational venture, leading to its successful launch, which is operative to the present day.
- Developed a 5-year industrial effectiveness master plan for a leading consumer goods manufacturer with USD 50+ million savings.
- Led a procurement processes redesign effort for a major consumer goods manufacturer, reducing lead times for critical supplies by 50%.
- Structured the project management office (PMO) and led the financial planning and processes redesign work streams in a financial institution's organic growth initiative. Budget: USD 1+ billion.
- Managed an accessibility compliance project involving product redesign, channel remodeling, and branch adaptation in a financial services group, reducing USD 350 million in compliance exposure risks.
From Intern to In-house Consultant
Organization of American States
- Developed YABT Program's international expansion project and led its worldwide organization redesign initiative.
- Participated in the design of a novel economic development initiative for the Government of Guyana. Budget: USD 10 million, sponsored by the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB).
- Coordinated the startup YABT program in Brazil, including organizing programs and structure, legal documents, and business plan. Developed programs with other national and international organizations and businesses in Brazil and the Americas.
- Co-led YABT Brazil's activities, including administrative and personnel management, recruiting and managing staff, overseeing operations, and developing business strategies for the organization's sustainability.
- Participated in the development of the international business plan and organization restructuring for the YABT program.
Doctorate Degree in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
MIT-Zaragoza Logistics Center - Zaragoza, Spain and Cambridge, MA
Graduate Certificate (Master's Level) in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Cambridge, MA
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
Insper - São Paulo, Brazil
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Universidade Federal da Bahia - Salvador, BA, Brazil
Best Doctoral Thesis - Finalist
Centro Español de Logística - CEL
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)