Verified Expert in Finance
A Warwick graduate and qualified ACA in audits and accounts, Sam has led combined business modeling for an FTSE250 M&A team, securing a successful acquisition and integration plan for a £20 million deal. Sam has enjoyed building clients' processes, modeling, and reporting by leveraging exceptional logical and communication skills alongside technical skills in Excel, Tableau, and SQL to ensure the business develops the insight needed to grow.
Sam Roberts, Ltd.
- Built a respected financial consultancy with clients across the UK, Canada, and Mexico including strong client testimonials and peer referrals.
- Partnered with both acquiring and target company marketing teams to build a marketing-focused integrated business model for an ultimately successful a £20-million acquisition.
- Developed systems and processes from first principals for a successful startup post-acquisition by Canon, including monthly reporting (financial and wider BI) and 3-statement forecasts for C-level reporting.
- Partnered with the CEO of a promising scale-up seeking Series A funding to develop a suite of KPIs and pitch deck in an ultimately successful funding round.
- Prepared management reports and analysis, presenting results to the group CEO and COO of an FTSE250 company on a monthly basis.
- Worked closely with the CTO and tech team of three Canon Europe companies, developed live analysis via BI dashboards and monthly breakdown and reporting of key business indicators to all interested stakeholders.
- Worked in the M&A department to coordinate cross-party discussions on marketing strategy and develop financial analysis.
- Worked closely with the director of corporate development to analyze and develop a dialog with a potential £50-million target for acquisition, ultimately aborted for commercial reasons.
- Partnered with the international development director to investigate and model potential expansion targets across EU and North American territories.
- Prepared and presented a monthly analysis of progress and KPIs at a C-suite level to board members of the group PLC company.
- Collaborated with other M&A staff to develop and refine a tracking process for the deal flow in order to facilitate live updates and review by management.
- Developed and reported on historic acquisitions with a focus on efficiency and ROI in order to inform future-looking operations.
- Partnered with the CEO to develop a post-acquisition 3-statement forecast from first principals suited to rapidly developing business.
- Partnered with COO to develop the sales commission structure, including consulting with individual agents and preparing monthly and quarterly calculations and reports.
- Developed, maintained, and presented the monthly management reports for Canon Europe management, including presentations at board meetings.
- Partnered with the CTO to continuously develop the internal data model and database schema to ensure data collected was fit for purpose in outwards reporting.
- Utilized SQL and Tableau to prepare an automatically updated dashboard of KPIs for regular review, and further ad hoc analysis such as pricing and margin analysis across all 1,500 product lines.
Head of Finance
- Served as the head of finance in a newly incorporated company and developed all transactional, tax and reporting processes from scratch to a very high quality.
- Partnered with the CTO to specify and develop automated systems to maintain a highly streamlined finance function, including automated billing and direct cost supplier payment.
- Developed BI reporting and dashboards for live analysis of business KPIs including Tableau with custom SQL, Geckoboard for company-wide in-office presentation and bespoke dashboards.
- Assumed ownership of all finance, BI, payroll, HR, legal, and compliance functions.
- Took responsibility for investor relations contact including ad hoc live updates as required and monthly reporting to the board of an FTSE250 company.
- Developed a commercial strategy in coordination with the CEO, including requirements for operations (supply-side) and pricing analysis (demand-side).
- Rapidly claimed ownership of month/year-end and audit correspondence, allowing a commercial director to focus on core commercial tasks in the business.
- Partnered with tech teams to develop an automated billing system, reducing staff time needed for the billing cycle by 40%.
- Partnered with marketing teams to develop ROI analysis on marketing efforts leading to optimization in marketing effort and efficient use of funds.
- Developed company-wide business modeling across a variety of products and services, including a streamlined monthly update for actuals and re-forecasted processes to minimize time requirements and maximize utility.
- Prepared and presented monthly financial summaries and analysis to the parent company's board, a FTSE250 entity.
- Investigated and developed new potential commercial opportunities, working closely with development and data teams to ensure viability and market fit.
- Prepared high-quality audit files and performed client-facing audit procedures for a wide range of clients, including global retail and gold manufacturing companies.
- Worked closely in integrated teams with team leader responsibility while maintaining a focus on team development and training to constantly improve business output.
- Developed internal systems to automate significant amounts of accounts prep, saving up to 60% of input time for new clients.
- Gained exposure through audit and account engagements to a very wide variety of financial systems for a large variety of clients, quickly becoming a functional expert in new systems.
- Consistently improved clients' finance functions through ad-hoc reviews and advice as well as formal engagements of systems review and recommendation.
Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA) Qualification in ACA in Audit and Accounts
Kaplan Business School - London, UK
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics and Philosophy
University of Warwick - Warwick, UK
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring