Chicago, IL, United States
Member since August 29, 2017
Suk's spent the last four years as the global CFO of Avant—the fastest growing digital lending platform in the US—helping the company raise over $3 billion in debt and equity. His experience in global financial services includes a decade of executive leadership at GE and HSBC. As a freelancer, Suk enjoys helping other specialty finance-and-tech companies execute capital raises, solve complex problems and support key strategic initiatives.
- Global Chief Financial Officer2014 - PRESENTAvant
Focus areas: Capital Markets, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Equity Financing, Audit Management, Financial Regulations, Banking Provision Models
- Led Series D ($225 million) and Series E ($325 million) equity rounds in late 2014 and 2015 from top-tier growth equity firms including Tiger Global, General Atlantic, and J.P. Morgan.
- Structured and transacted over $1 billion in rated consumer asset-backed securities backed by personal loans.
- Developed a global investment decision-making process for new products (installment loans, credit cards, lines of credit, and point of sale lending) through detailed business cases which require appropriate capital allocation and hurdle minimums on returns on equity.
- Built treasury and accounting operations which currently process over 6,000 transactions ($7 million of cash payments) daily through more than 50 bank accounts.
- Drove a shift in company strategy including cost and marketing efficiency; executed over $40 million in cost savings through headcount reduction, offshoring and vendor spend rationalization.
- Grew the team from 6 to 54 members by acquiring top talent to enhance the Treasury, Internal Audit and Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) teams.
- CFO, Commercial Banking North America2012 - 2014HSBC North America
Focus areas: CCAR, Financial Management, Financial Systems, Budget Forecasting, Pricing
- Drove all the key financial activities (pricing and transaction support, liquidity and capital management, treasury, planning and reporting, and investor relations) for a $1 billion profit before tax (PBT) for the commercial banking division with operations in the United States and Canada.
- Managed a finance team of 22 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees across North America including a global finance support team in India.
- Led the structuring of a critical real estate transaction resulting in a $25 million gain for the bank.
- Completed comprehensive capital adequacy review (CCAR) under the guidelines of the US Federal Reserve, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), and UK Prudential Authority which passed with the first submission.
- Coordinated $3 billion in capital optimization projects with Risk Analytics team, resulting in optimization of capital coverage ratios to support higher lending volumes.
- Vice President, Financial Planning and Analysis2008 - 2010GE Financial Services (Healthcare and Commercial)
Focus areas: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Pricing, Secured Loans, Senior Secured Debt, Cost Management, Cost-saving Structure
- Drove all the financial activities (pricing, reporting, and analytics) for the healthcare and inventory financing businesses with $2 billion in revenue, $500 million in profit, and $40 billion in assets.
- Prepared all the board and investor relations packages, including market and industry analyses.
- Collaborated with corporate treasury to stabilize funding through three successful public bond issuances representing over $500 million, despite significant market liquidity concerns during the 2008 financial crisis.
- Executed over $25 billion in asset divestitures to ensure capital adequacy during the 2008 financial crisis.
- Supported the repricing of $4 billion in assets to increase margins and returns on equity by 200 basis points (BPS).
- Financial Management Program and Corporate Audit Staff2002 - 2008General Electric
Focus areas: Audit Management
- Completed GE’s version of the MBA, "GE Finance Disciplines" spanning cost accounting, commercial pricing to working capital management. Received the highest honors for completing coursework in financial analytics, controllership, and strategic operations.
- Led more than 60 associates over the course of four years. Devoted significant time to mentor, coach, and develop young talent.
- Completed 12 different audits including balance sheet and compliance reviews across nine different GE business segments in 11 different countries totaling $40 billion of asset coverage.
- Executive Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Marketing and General Management2010 - 2012Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management - Chicago, IL, USA
- Bachelor's degree in Finance and Management Information Systems1998 - 2002University of Illinois - Champaign, IL, USA