Freelance Software Engineer2015 - PRESENTSelf-employed
- Work part-time while travelling.
Software Development Engineer2013 - 2014Amazon Web Services
- Built tools to orchestrate and visualize Amazon’s fleet of servers and data centers in real time, gathering and exposing massive amounts of data.
- Responsible for bug fixing, refactoring/rewriting code, new feature dev, new web service dev, tooling and automation, devops, operations, database management, and supporting customers to solve their issues and elicit feedback, requirements, and new directions to take our team in.
- Built a firewall deployment automation tool that spread and became used by most teams in EC2 and pushed hard to find the root cause of a service issue that led to discovering new customer usage patterns and feature requirements that fed back into the team’s roadmap.
- Gained extensive experience here in Ruby, Rails, general web service/API development, building scalable web services, operating and supporting web services at scale with hundreds of servers and database configurations, and focusing on creating a great experience for our customers.
- Started a new team/project - a web app for project management and roadmap planning that would be used by all teams and management in EC2.
- Technical lead on this project, responsible for all technical design/technology/architecture, for working with our potential users to come up with and implement a design for the app that would solve their problems, for the team’s software engineering methodologies, and for much of the user interface and user experience of the app.
- Grew and trained the team up to four people and developed an app that all management in Cape Town got on board with. Many roadmap-related problems that they had been having were solved by the app, and their planning processes became much more efficient and effective.
Software Engineer Intern2010 - 2010Joburg Center for Software Engineering
Technologies: PHP, Java, HTML/CSS, Chisimba
- Worked as an intern on an open source content management system in Chisimba.
- The team was very big and so bred strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Developed part of a video lecture application extension for the framework in Java.
- Wrote some CSS custom themes.
- Extended the framework in PHP.