Verified Expert in Engineering
Alex is an entrepreneur and recent Wharton grad who recently closed a startup and is contracting while he travels. He has built over 10,000 LOC projects from the ground up. He takes great pride in developing absurdly simple user interfaces on architecture that scales.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Python, Babel, Git, Ubuntu, MacOS
The most amazing...
...company I've co-founded is an ed-tech company.
Product Software Engineer
Online Freelance Agency
- Translated 6k LOC from CoffeeScript to ES6.
- Improved performance of critical pages by 20%.
- Attained top performer rank across a thirty-person engineering team for commits, additions, and deletions in 2016 (caveats apply, of course).
- Built many, many features in Rails. Fixed many bugs.
Funded/Profitable Stealth Startup
- Oversaw a junior developer: Performed code reviews, provided architectural oversight, etc.
- Designed and built a complete front-end SPA.
- Wrote and integrated a REST API to interact with the front-end.
- Built Docker server images and automated the build/deploy workflow. Deployed them using Git for app code deployment along with Docker and AWS Elastic Beanstalk for full deployment.
- Wrote a robust, configurable, and scalable worker queue supervision system using AWS.
Co-Founder, CEO, Lead Developer
Emerald Educational Technologies, LLC
- Led a team of three developers and three non-technical people.
- Developed a desktop application for Windows and OS X using the PyQt framework. Read a bunch of Objective-C.
- Built a custom cross-platform auto-updater for the desktop application.
- Built technology to prevent students from cheating on exams, even when using their own computers.
- Designed an intuitive document editor described by users as a simple version of Google Docs.
- Implemented Diff-based, offline-first, real-time document sync, including revision history. It was thus robust against Internet failure or computer crashes during an exam.
- Designed an intuitive exam administration experience for tech-averse teachers and professors. It was described by one instructional technologist as being “the simplest education technology product I’ve ever seen.”.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Sails.js, Koa, Flask, Django, Express.js, AngularJS
React, Node.js, Backbone.js, jQuery, PyQt
Babel, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Sketch, Sublime Text 3, Git, Emacs
iOS, Docker, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Amazon Web Services (AWS), MacOS, Linux, Windows, Ubuntu
Front-end Development, Lean Startups, CORS
Functional Programming, Rapid Prototyping
PostgreSQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Memcached, Redis
Bachelor of Science Degree in Business
The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA