Verified Expert in Engineering
Andrej is the ex-CTO of Gebraucht.de and Roombles and an ex-partner engineer at Facebook. Andrej has a track record of delivering high-quality products tightly aligned with business and market needs, defining and driving the engineering strategy, and fostering an environment of ownership, innovation, and technical excellence.
Docker, Elasticsearch, Redis, Symfony, Laravel, Vue, React, MySQL, PHP 7, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed was a horizontal marketplace with integrated payment and logistics that was the fastest growing marketplace in Germany in 2018.
- Developed a React Native app that combines experiences of TikTok and Groupon.
- Built the scalable architecture on AWS Cloud and utilized the Laravel framework to create an API that powers the mobile apps.
- Worked on the whole project (built under 100 days) and from idea to launch in just under three months.
- Integrated various partners (Shopify, PayPal, SumUp, Square) to a new Facebook initiative (Local Gift Cards) that helps small businesses affected by COVID. Gave technical guidance and built internal tools to accommodate the various needs of partners.
- Built technical solutions to unlock partner potential and scale growth and integrated high-value sellers in the EMEA and NA region for Instagram Checkout (H&M, Zara, L'Oreal).
- Worked closely with the engineering teams to deliver Facebook Shops: a new shopping solution from Facebook.
- Led the development of a marketplace model eCommerce project with a focus on the RESTful API.
- Assembled a team of six developers and coordinated the work of 12 remote mobile developers.
- Responsible for the back-end and front-end development and the infrastructure of the whole project.
- Set up the development processes and workflows and applied Agile methodologies.
- Delivered a high-performance, durable, and scalable architecture that handled a large number of visitors while continuously enabling the high pace of change and innovation.
- Utilized the AWS infrastructure, Elasticsearch, Redis, MySQL, and message queues.
Senior Software Engineer
- Worked as a core developer in cross-functional teams for various international companies with millions of customers.
- Launched ventures from concept to production while meeting strict deadlines.
- Created Nestpick's platform to search apartments in the biggest rental aggregator.
- Integrated a solution for Foodpanda's AAA partners (McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Domino's Pizza, and KFC).
- Built Everjobs: a career-listings platform for international markets.
- Optimized, for Skyscale, Rocket’s core marketplace system Alice&Bob used by Zalando.
- Developed Burger King Germany's food delivery solution based on the Foodora codebase.
- Implemented performance and load testing for Pizzabo.it and Foodpanda.
Currys PC World
- Optimized the page speed and implemented a caching mechanism using Varnish for various e-merchant clients (A.P.C., Monnier Freres) resulting in an average 3x increase in load speed.
- Implemented new features on an eCommerce solution for the largest electronic retailer in the UK: Currys.
- Composed a new algorithm for category selection in the catalog that decreased the churn rate by 20%.
Roombles | TikTok meets Groupon
The mobile apps were written in React Native allowed us one codebase for both iOS and Android as well as an Agile roadmap. As a CTO, I was responsible for the whole architecture of the project from the infrastructure, through code approvals to KPI tracking, as well as leading a small team of three developers.
Gebraucht.de | The Fastest Growing Secondhand Marketplace in Germany
Implementation of Multiple Core Features:
• Payment: Established the payment infrastructure that allowed the user to hold payments until the transaction was completed with the integration of all main payment systems.
• Notifications: Setup the framework that listened to system events and promptly notified users of action that needs to be taken through multiple channels (in-app notification, email, SMS).
• Logistics: Integrated this with the main carriers to allow for tracking packages and automatic tracking updates.
• DevOps: Scaled the infrastructure to handle loads during a TV campaign with peaks of 6,000 requests/second, the migration to AWS, and utilization of ECS.
Gebraucht.de was a horizontal secondhand marketplace with the following main competitors: eBay.de, Spock, and Facebook Marketplace. Our approach was to integrate payment and shipping to provide an eCommerce experience for secondhand shopping. Gebraucht.de became the fastest-growing marketplace in Germany and was acquired by Visable GmbH in May 2019.
Local Gift Cards on Facebook and Instagram
My responsibility was to work closely with partners (gift card providers), understand their needs, and then build engineering solutions within Facebook and Instagram to accommodate their needs and help them accelerate sales on these channels.
This project's reach was over 20 million people within the EMEA region, and we helped over 13,000 local businesses struggling during the pandemic.
Burger King Germany | Delivery Servicehttps://www.bklieferservice.de/
Nestpic | An Aggregator for Furnished Apartmentshttps://www.nestpick.com/
Integration of AAA Merchants into the Delivery Hero (Formerly Foodpanda) Systemhttps://www.foodpanda.com/
Laravel, PHPUnit, React Native, Symfony
Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker
MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch
APIs, eCommerce, Architecture, Leadership, Full-stack, Web Development, ECS
React, Vue, REST APIs
Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), RabbitMQ, NGINX, Git, Varnish
Bachelor's Degree in Applied Informatics
Masaryk University - Brno, Czechia