Verified Expert in Engineering
Andres is an experienced technical leader with over 10 years of experience overseeing and managing fully remote teams. He is knowledgeable about cloud infrastructure, agile development, and networking, and he is an active contributor to open-source projects like SaltStack, Vagrant, Chef/Bento, and FreeBSD. Andres brings superior technological skills and a can-do attitude to the table that help teams and companies to grow and thrive.
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Python, Packer, GitLab, Kubernetes, Docker Compose, Docker, Terraform, MySQL
The most amazing...
...thing I've done is lead a team of engineers supporting a SaaS platform used by the biggest companies in the world, including three of the five biggest in tech.
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
- Deployed an AWS organization migrating production workload to a specific account. Configured AWS authentication using Google Workspace as IDP using SAML.
- Migrated the IaC codebase to a state-of-the-art configuration, handling multiple providers, including AWS, Google Workspace, GCP, PagerDuty, and others. This was achieved using Terraform and Terragrunt along with Atlantis.
- Migrated multiple geographically distributed Kubernetes clusters without downtime.
- Deployed EKS clusters in all available AWS regions, enabling the best latency for our videoconferencing product.
- Upgraded the PostgreSQL version of the main database without downtime and improved the database structure, indexes, and queries, enhancing overall performance during peak hours.
ReadySet Technology, Inc.
- Built pipelines to generate AWS AMIs with Packer used by customers to deploy the infrastructure offered by the company.
- Created the Terraform code to fully deploy the solution in AWS, including VPC, RDS, Load Balancers, and EC2 instances.
- Implemented pipelines to run quality checks on Terraform code—including deployments and modules—to ensure the code followed industry standards. Used such tools as pre-commit hooks, checkov, tflint, tfsec, and terraform-docs.
- Worked with engineering to prepare the cloud infrastructure for HIPAA compliancy.
- Reverse-engineered the running infrastructure and codified the whole stack using Terraform and Terragrunt.
- Created an Infrastructure as Code CI/CD pipeline that allowed the release of infrastructural changes to the corresponding environments using CircleCI and Terragrunt.
- Migrated the AWS account to an AWS organization with multiple accounts to split the production workload from other workloads. Configured AWS user authentication with Google Workspace as IdP.
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Migrated the main production database (3TB) from MySQL 5.7 to MySQL 8.0 without downtime.
- Created a Terraform module to deploy a production-grade Citus cluster in Google Cloud Platform. Other tools like Packer, Ansible, and Python were used in this project. I have also contributed to the pg_auto_failover project.
- Initiated a self-service infrastructure project for our engineering team, leveraging env0, Terraform, Kubernetes, and Helm charts to allow quick development environments in the cloud.
- Automated the provisioning of on-premise deployments using replicated tooling. The technologies involved were KOTS, kURL, Terraform, Bash scripting, and Packer.
Lead DevOps Engineer
- Led a team of nine senior DevOps engineers distributed across four different continents.
- Led and implemented multiple pipelines to improve the quality and robustness of our platform by using tools like Packer, Terraform, GitLab CI, and Kitchen CI.
- Automated package building and testing for FreeBSD servers, SaltStack configuration testing, development environments, AWS AMI creation, and the Perl environment build (runtime and modules).
- Actively participated in multiple SOC 2, ISO 27001, and Microsoft SSPA security certifications, ensuring infrastructure compliance.
Global IT Solutions S.R.L
- Provided support to customers using cloud computing technologies.
- Coached new employees and partners in Linux, networking, and virtualization.
- Supported sales projects generating new services and products based on a mix of technologies.
- Managed projects and deadlines for a team of local and remote personnel.
DevOps Engineer PHP
- Migrated the complete infrastructure from private VPSs to AWS.
- Codified the whole infrastructure with Terraform, following best practices.
- Improved database queries and data structure, generating a 300% performance improvement on the same instance (RDS).
- Supervised seven POP data centers in the USA and Spain, providing mission-critical VoIP services to customers worldwide.
- Installed, maintained, and supported more than fifty servers with Linux and Windows platforms.
- Configured and managed intra-carrier VoIP cross-connections to handle thousands of calls per day.
- Developed an automated installation script for A2Billing that allowed other company coworkers to install the solution for our customers worldwide.
- Acted as the point of contact to co-location and hosting providers, including SoftLayer, NAP of the Americas, PhoenixNAP, and others. managed purchases, maintenance plans, and internal company support.
- Helped design and deploy the company's private cloud infrastructure.
Senior System Administrator
Ikuna Media S.L.
- Migrated a mission-critical system from a dedicated server to a high-availability Amazon platform in one week to support a high traffic spike during the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- Created a scalable streaming solution using AWS, Adobe Flash Media, Wowza, and Amazon CloudFront, allowing the company to stream live events like MTV Europe awards to thousands of viewers worldwide.
- Reviewed the company web platform performance, supporting several thousand hits per day for customers like EFE News, Telemundo, and Telefonica, resulting in up to a 50% performance increase using the same resources.
- Created email marketing infrastructure using EC2 and SES to provide services to several customers, ensuring deliverability and inbox reach.
- Provided support to development teams, assisting new technologies and best practices to achieve high availability and performant services.
AM Technology & Systems
- Worked on sales and technical solutions to gain customers and generate new services and products.
- Provided support for hosting servers with a vast range of technologies, from stripped-down LAMP servers to cPanel and Plesk setups.
- Supported Cisco networks with customers in the USA and Australia.
- Supported Windows corporate systems with AD, Exchange, and IIS.
- Migrated hosting servers between providers with hundreds of sites without downtime.
CTO and Co-founder
- Supervised the technology department responsible for customers with over 100 PCs.
- Migrated several corporate MS Exchange installations from 5.5 to 2003.
- Deployed corporate VoIP PBXs using Asterisk software.
- Installed and maintained a metropolitan area network using WiFi links with Ubiquiti, MikroTik, and custom equipment with OpenWRT software.
- Managed a seven-member technical team to support customer needs.
Diveo Uruguay S.A.
- Supported the company and customer networks that consisted of carrier-class network equipment like Cisco, Harris, and Ericsson Tellabs.
- Managed servers using Linux, Solaris, and Windows.
- Upgraded software and hardware for Cisco core routers (7950), including bootloaders.
- Provided support and assistance to enterprise customers.
- Designed new network links and services and coordinated with the marketing department to increase sales.
A2Billing Auto Installer Scripthttps://github.com/amontalban/A2Billing-Install-Script
This script allowed users to install everything needed to have a VoIP system to resell calls.
Bash Script, SAML, Bash, Python, PHP
Ansible, Packer, Vagrant, Terraform, SaltStack, Asterisk, Wowza, Apache, Docker Compose, Travis CI, Jenkins, Git, Citus, NGINX, Puppet, MS Exchange, Zimbra, Adobe Flash, GitLab, GitLab CI/CD, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Helm, RabbitMQ, Beanstalk, Chef, Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Amazon EKS, AWS CloudFormation, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), GitHub
DevOps, DevSecOps, HIPAA Compliance, Rapid Application Development (RAD)
Amazon EC2, Unix, Docker, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS), FreeBSD, Linux, Red Hat Linux, CentOS, Debian Linux, LAMP, MacOS, Debian, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Solaris, Embedded Linux, Azure, Twilio, AWS Lambda
VoIP, Identity & Access Management (IAM), SOC 2, VMware ESXi, HAProxy, Virtualization, Cloud Computing, Networking, Software-defined Data Centers (SDDC), Content Delivery Networks (CDN), Cisco, PDH, Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH), Wireless Networking, Infrastructure as Code (IaC), Infrastructure Monitoring, AWS DevOps, ECS, AWS Global Accelerator, Tailscale, Argo CD, ISO 27001
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Datadog, Redis, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
Core Location, TYPO3
Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist
Certified Kubernetes Application Developer
Certified Kubernetes Administrator