Lead DevOps Engineer2014 - PRESENTPerceptyx, Inc.
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Python, GitLab CI/CD, Docker Compose, Packer, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, Linux, MySQL, Redis, AWS, FreeBSD, SaltStack
- Led a team of nine senior DevOps engineers distributed across four different continents.
- Led and implemented multiple pipelines to improve the quality and robustness of our platform by using tools like Packer, Terraform, GitLab CI, and Kitchen CI.
- Automated package building and testing for FreeBSD servers, SaltStack configuration testing, creation of development environments and AWS AMI, and the Perl environment build (runtime and modules).
CTO2012 - 2018Global IT Solutions
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Networking, Cloud Computing, Virtualization, Bash, AWS, AWS EC2, FreeBSD, Asterisk, VoIP, Puppet, SaltStack, HAProxy, Nginx, Apache, Linux
- Provided support to customers using cloud computing technologies.
- Deployed high availability platforms.
- Coached new employees and partners in Linux, networking, and virtualization.
- Supported sales projects generating new services and products based on a mix of technologies.
- Managed projects and deadlines for a team of local and remote personnel.
- Created a puppet module for a client to install and configure WildFly (https://github.com/amontalban/puppet-wildfly).
Senior Sysadmin2011 - 2013inConcert
Technologies: Microsoft SQL Server, Cloud Computing, Core Location, Software-defined Data Centers (SDDC), Windows, Linux, Asterisk, VoIP
- Supervised seven PoP datacenters in the USA and Spain providing mission-critical VoIP services to customers worldwide.
- Installed, maintained, and supported more than fifty servers with Linux and Windows platforms.
- Configured and managed Intra Carrier VoIP cross-connections to handle thousands of calls per day.
- Developed an automated installation script for A2Billing (https://github.com/amontalban/A2Billing-Install-Script) that allowed other company coworkers to install the solution for our customers all over the world.
- Acted as the point of contact to co-location and hosting providers including SoftLayer, NAP of the Americas, PhoenixNAP, and others. Managed purchases, maintenance plans, and internal company support.
- Helped design and deploy the company’s private cloud infrastructure.
Senior System Administrator2010 - 2012Ikuna Media S.L.
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), LAMP, MySQL, Adobe Flash, Wowza, Content Delivery Networks (CDN), AWS EC2, AWS
- Migrated a mission-critical system from a dedicated server to a high-availability Amazon platform in one week to support a high traffic spike during 2010 FIFA World Cup.
- Created a scalable streaming solution using Amazon Web Services, Adobe Flash Media, Wowza, and Amazon CloudFront, giving the company the ability to stream live events like MTV Europe awards to thousands of viewers all over the world.
- Reviewed company web platform performance supporting several thousand hits per day for customers like EFE News, Telemundo, and Telefonica, resulting in up to a 50% performance increase using the same resources.
- Created email marketing infrastructure using EC2 and SES to provide services to several customers, ensuring deliverability and inbox reach.
- Provided support to development teams, giving assistance for new technologies and best practices to achieve high availability and performant services.
Owner2009 - 2012AM Technology & Systems
Technologies: LAMP, Zimbra, Asterisk, MS Exchange, Windows, FreeBSD, Unix, Linux
- Worked on sales and technical solutions in order to gain customers and generate new services and products.
- Provided support for hosting servers with a vast range of technologies, from stripped-down LAMP servers to cPanel and Plesk setups.
- Supported Cisco networks with customers in the USA and Australia.
- Supported Windows corporate systems with AD, Exchange, and IIS.
- Migrated hosting servers between providers with hundreds of sites without downtime.
CTO and Co-founder2006 - 2009IT Business
Technologies: Windows, Asterisk, VoIP, Telecommunications, Networking, FreeBSD, Cisco, Linux
- Supervised the technology department responsible for customers with over 100 PCs.
- Migrated several corporate MS Exchange installations from 5.5 to 2003.
- Deployed VoIP PBXs using Asterisk software.
- Installed and maintained a metropolitan area network using WiFi links with Ubiquiti, MikroTik, and custom equipment with OpenWRT software.
- Managed a seven-member technical team to support customers' needs.
NOC Supervisor2005 - 2006Diveo Uruguay S.A.
Technologies: Windows, Solaris, Wireless Networking, Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH), PDH, Rapid Application Development (RAD), Cisco, Linux
- Supported the company and customer networks that consisted of carrier-class network equipment like Cisco, Harris, and Ericsson Tellabs.
- Managed servers using Linux, Solaris, and Windows.
- Upgraded software and hardware for Cisco core routers (7950), including bootloader.
- Provided support and assistance to customers.
- Designed new network links and services in coordination with the marketing department to increase sales.