Verified Expert in Engineering
Artificial Intelligence Developer
Aram is an open-source Rust developer, multi-disciplinary researcher, and applied mathematician with graduate-level training in computer science, mathematics, physics, and economics. He has a competitive programmer, coach, and judge background, placing himself on the world's top 70 in the Google Code Jam and Topcoder Open. Presently, Aram is the fourth member of Waymo's behavior prediction team.
Rust, Self-driving Cars, Information Theory, Algorithms, Applied Mathematics, Data Structures, Reinforcement Learning, Linux
The most amazing...
...open-source I've delivered is the Rust algorithms repository, launched at #1 daily trending on GitHub and #2 on Hacker News.
Self-directed Advanced Studies and Research
- Developed the Elo-MMR skill estimation algorithm, which is receiving considerable interest from industry, hobbyists, and academia. While classic Elo is suited for two-player games, Elo-MMR is the first principled system for large ranked competitions.
- Built a mathematical model for emergent causality, suggesting a possible solution to the problem of the perceptual arrow of time in physics.
- Acquired graduate-level expertise and problem-solving intuition in a variety of additional computer science topics, as well as in parts of mathematics, physics, and economics.
Senior AI Research Scientist
- Led AI co-design research efforts to understand how efficiently different types of convolutional layers map onto hardware and retain the model's accuracy over time.
- Led the development of a video quality enhancer by modifying academic deep learning models to suit practical datasets and constraints.
- Contributed to technical writing and explanatory documentation on various topics, thus enabling interdisciplinary communication and collaboration.
- Owned the company's algorithmic whiteboard interviews for job candidates, leveraging my experience as a competitive programming contestant and problem setter.
Behavior Prediction Researcher and Engineer
- Invented and deployed behavior prediction algorithms on self-driving cars, achieving state-of-the-art speed and robustness in predicting other drivers' movements.
- Coordinated and taught two machine learning courses to engineers in weekly sessions with assigned readings and university course materials.
- Advocated first-principles and data-driven approaches through teaching and documenting how my work resulted in simpler algorithms and software architecture.
Elo-MMR Rating Systemhttps://github.com/EbTech/Elo-MMR
I was the algorithm's inventor and the principal researcher and engineer of the project. We released open-source software to rank custom datasets and benchmark different rating systems. Now we're in the process of deploying a live presentation of ratings for multiple sports at worldrank.org
Contest Algorithms in Rusthttps://github.com/EbTech/rust-algorithms
Information Dynamics and the Arrow of Timehttps://arxiv.org/abs/2109.09709
Rust, C++17, Python 3, Java, Haskell, C#, C, Prolog
Information Theory, Algorithms, Applied Mathematics, Data Structures, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Causal Inference, Technical Writing, Research, Self-driving Cars, Reinforcement Learning, Robotics, Formal Methods, Physics, Game Theory, Machine Learning, Concurrency, Economics, Mathematics, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Distributed Systems
Master's Degree (Within a PhD Program) in Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics and Computer Science
University of British Columia - Vancouver, BC, Canada
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring