Verified Expert in Engineering
Austin is a seasoned software engineer who has designed and implemented web architectures handling hundreds of millions of unique monthly visitors. He has acted as a principal engineer, architect, and technical lead throughout his 15-year career. With an extensive React, AWS, and TypeScript background, Austin is primarily interested in web-based projects and engagements from motivated organizations with well-defined goals.
TypeScript, React, Java, Terraform, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
The most amazing...
...impact I've had was migrating nike.com to container-based workloads and Next.js, improving deploy cadences by 40% and page load performance by several seconds.
Lead Software Engineer
- Created and implemented a YouTube-like web streaming media player for the Skillz Cloud Gaming platform.
- Developed a WebSockets-based channel with bidirectional and real-time communication between emulated, cloud-based games and the web streaming client.
- Designed and led the team in implementing the cloud gaming Akamai content delivery network (CDN) and the origin domain name system (DNS) strategy.
- Implemented cloud-specific game SDK features in React Native, Java, and Kotlin.
- Built and deployed microservices using Go, Kubernetes, and Terraform.
Principal Software Engineer
- Used inner source, volunteer-based model to build a Next.js web platform for nike.com. In 13 months, the project reached 40+ contributors, 300+ pull requests, and four apps in production. Today the framework is used for nearly all Nike website pages.
- Created common CI/CD pipeline to align infrastructure and DevOps for 20+ nike.com experience applications. Reduced deployment times by 50-90% and increased deployment cadence by 20-200% per team.
- Designed features for privacy, global navigation, auth, bot mitigation, analytics, optimization, and personalization on nike.com eCommerce pages.
- Introduced a Vercel-like preview feature to allow developers to deploy in-progress work for feedback.
- Volunteered as a speaker in multiple engineering forums with audiences ranging from 300 to 500 attendees.
- Organized cross-team DevOps and Accessibility working groups to establish best practices for Nike consumer web applications.
Lead Software Engineer
- Developed a high-traffic product details page on nike.com using Node.js, AWS, and React.
- Expanded operational support capabilities, implementing distributed tracing, Splunk dashboards, New Relic Synthetics, enhanced logging, and more.
- Optimized server-side concerns, including localization, redirects, and data-fetching.
- Participated in cross-team and cross-vendor architectural discussions to break down and estimate complex features.
- Managed infrastructure and DevOps for cloud applications using EC2, IAM, S3, and CloudFormation.
Senior Software Engineer
- Enhanced features and platform for existing in-store touchscreen applications, including client-certificate auth, foundational desktop and web apps architecture, REST microservice development and integration, and internationalization.
- Scaled and stabilized the Trial Zone, an interactive retail experience in flagship Nike stores. Worked across multiple technologies, including Unity 3D, Microsoft Kinect, Java, iOS, OpenGL, and AWS.
- Fixed features in the iOS application used for retail and web bra fitting charts.
- Wrote the integration layer for an Electron-based multi-application framework used on retail touchscreens.
- Developed and deployed a store content update microservice using Spring Boot, AWS, EC2, and Jenkins.
- Developed features for a flagship incident management project using SQL Server and ASP.NET MVC.
- Assisted in the evolution of an in-house UI framework. Tools and task authoring were orchestrated using Gulp to support rapid feedback and TDD-style development.
- Implemented a shared library for user-defined forms, applied to three existing products.
- Automated a new deployment environment provisioning using Windows Desired State Configuration (DSC), reducing set up time from 2-3 days to around two hours.
- Created policy-management and survey-product features using ASP.NET MVC, RavenDB, CoffeeScript, and SQL Server.
- Coordinated and led the internal web applications development.
- Developed features for a B2B invoicing platform using C#, ASP.NET MVC, SQL Server, KnockoutJS, and SASS.
- Built a prototype automated UI testing framework using Selenium.
- Provided SVG-based data visualizations for cash flow management using D3.js.
Software Engineer II
Advanced Distributed Learning Initiative
- Developed a WordPress-based architecture for the adlnet.gov site and other internal and external web apps.
- Promoted open-source development processes and assisted in the management of the organization's GitHub account.
- Provided supporting client libraries and applications to interface with Learning Registry web services.
- Contributed to a web-based 3D repository application to upload and store models used for military simulations and serious games.
- Set up infrastructure and hosting for an OpenSimulator instance used for e-learning studies, including the Wounded Warriors Project.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
University of Central Florida Institute for Simulation and Training
- Designed the software update service for simulations and games, written in C++ and then ported to C# for long-term maintainability.
- Developed a first-person motion controller for the simulation used to train soldiers and defense personnel on Suspicious Activity Reporting at a lower cost than live exercises.
- Created and implemented a custom Drupal module for capturing, searching, and comparing commercial game engine data. This game engine data was used to assess the technology fit of implementing various simulations using each solution.
- Assisted in the development of serious game demos using Arma 2 and CryEngine.
After its debut, the company realized the project was non-functional for use in other stores in other stores. Our team was assembled to help fix this obstacle, implement analytics, and bring the project to more locations while being able to monitor the system behavior remotely.
Activities ranged from sensor setup and calibration to automated testing libraries, game and video content update systems across complex, multi-screen retail display matrices, and custom application development in several languages.
Nike Retail Touchscreenshttps://www.engadget.com/2016-11-12-nike-new-soho-store-new-york-city.html
I was a full-stack developer responsible for the foundational back-end and front-end components. I worked with the architecture and security teams to design and implement a client certificate-based authentication system in AWS and Windows for securing API access. I also helped build an electron-based native client to host and update the stores' applications. I also helped deploy and update the EC2-based back end, running a Node.js web server.
Skillz Cloud Gaming Web Integrationhttps://games.skillz.com
I designed and built the embeddable web client, integrating NextJS with WebRTC-based streaming capabilities to deliver an evergreen "widget" for game streaming for use across multiple sites. I also worked with the games.skillz.com team to integrate the feature, eventually taking over development and operations for the site.
I also helped deliver a full-stack feature to provide real-time geolocation from the browser to the native Android SDK via a WebSocket-based bidirectional communication channel.
Next.js, ASP.NET, Redux, Unity3D, .NET, ASP, Microsoft Kinect, Spring Boot
React, Node.js, Jenkins Pipeline, Jenkins Job DSL, WebRTC, Puppeteer, OpenGL
AWS Fargate, AWS CloudFormation, AWS ELB, Terraform, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
Docker, Windows, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Android, Amazon EC2, WordPress, iOS, Drupal 7
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Relational Databases, RavenDB, CouchDB
Content Delivery Networks (CDN), APIs, WebSockets, Akamai, X.509 Certificates, Content Management Systems (CMS), IIS
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Central Florida - Orlando, FL, USA