Verified Expert in Engineering
Computational Geometry Developer
Benjamin is an algorithmic problem solver with a strong background in C# and C++. His university education emphasized computer graphics and computer vision. In the past six years, he's mainly worked in computational geometry, computer graphics, and computer vision using C++, VTK, PCL, and Qt.
CMake, Google Test, Git, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Visual Studio, Windows 10
The most amazing...
...honor I've received is the the best thesis award for my master's thesis on processing and visualizing computational fluid dynamics results.
- Researched and developed numerous 3D algorithms and visualizations in the dental field and integrated them into one prototype Qt GUI.
- Developed and maintained an online licensing system for these software products using C#.NET and Azure.
- Set up the prototypes' production and in the process of designing modern GUIs for final products.
Software Developer and Tester (Life Insurance Calculator)
Grazer Wechselseitige Versicherung AG
- Developed a new calculation core for life insurances in C# .NET.
- Allowed the core to calculate all life insurance products and contract changes of the company and its foreign subsidiaries (~1000 products). Implemented a solid software design that included all products without duplicating code.
- Replaced three other existing calculation cores with our new one.
- Created a testing framework (both GUI and MSTest accessible) to ensure consistent quality of the core.
- Supported another team within the company with their software design for a similar calculation core.
Scientific Software Researcher
VIRTUAL VEHICLE Reserach Center, Graz
- Implemented 3D data processing and visualization of computational fluid dynamics results with C++ and VTK for my diploma thesis.
- Created a novel algorithm for understanding and visualizing large air flow data sets.
- Developed an evaluation framework to compare my algorithm with existing solutions and aid in the selection of the best algorithm.
- Typeset my thesis in LaTex, using a highly customized style to achieve high typographic detail and quality.
- Received the Best Thesis Award by the "Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics Research IGD".
Junior Functional Tester
IBM SkillTeam at Fortis Bank (Brussels, Belgium)
- Developed and executed software test scenarios for a major Global Markets banking application (J/Rates).
- Was hired as a Junior Functional Tester due to my young age, but was very quickly assigned the same tasks as Senior Functional Testers.
- Was ultimately responsible for testing the whole interest rate derivatives branch.
- Performed unstructured exploratory testing before important releases as the only member of the team because of my strong analytical abilities.
- Collected my first foreign job experience within an international environment.
Software Developer and Tester
Grazer Wechselseitige Versicherung
- Tested and developed software for the company and its foreign subsidiaries.
- Carried out these tasks part time next to my studies and learned proper time management skills. Used Tim Allen's "Getting Things Done" philosophy ever since.
- Worked directly within the life insurance department and acquired know-how about efficient communication with "Non-IT" people.
- Gained practical knowledge about the unique requirements of insurance and finance products.
- Experienced working in the environment fostered by a large, conservative company.
Master’s Thesis on Large 3D CFD Datasetshttps://benjaminhopfer.com/programming/2014/04/10/masters-thesis-large-3d-cfd-datasets.html
Life Insurance Calculation Core in C#https://benjaminhopfer.com/programming/2014/04/10/life-insurance-calc-core.html
C#, C++, SQL, C#.NET, XML, Excel VBA, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), C++17
Qt, .NET, Android SDK, Google Test, Windows PowerShell, ASP.NET Web API, ASP.NET
VTK, Windows Forms (WinForms), Eigen, PCL
CMake, Microsoft Visual Studio, ParaView, Visual Studio, Git, LaTeX, Microsoft Team Foundation Server
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Object-oriented Design (OOD), Unit Testing, Functional Programming, Logic Programming
Windows, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Azure, Linux
3D Geometric Analysis, Computer Vision, 3D, Computational Geometry, 3D CAD, Dental Care, Mesh Development, Point Clouds, Computer Graphics, Scientific Computing, Visual Product Modeling System (VP/MS), Data Visualization
Microsoft SQL Server, SQL CE, MSSQLCE, MySQL
Master's (with Distinction) Degree in Computer Science
Graz University of Technology - Graz, Austria
Bachelor's (with Distinction) Degree in Computer Science
Graz University of Technology - Graz, Austria