Verified Expert in Engineering
Git, Sublime Text, OS X
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was setting up a microservice architecture and being able to rapidly build out nearly a dozen microservices to provide new features.
- Built out new features, working across the Ruby on Rails back-end and React front-end.
Freelance Web Developer
- Built the initial eCommerce site for the business using a framework to quickly get to market.
- Overhauled the initial eCommerce app to provide a custom back-end interface that better matched their business.
- Included a high level of unit test coverage for the complex business logic in the overhauled app, and a large end-to-end test suite to provide high confidence when making changes.
- Proactively monitored issues with the site and fixed them.
- Managed email accounts and other IT needs of the company.
Back-end Ruby on Rails Engineer
Clustrix (via Toptal)
- Optimized memory usage extensively to operate within a relatively small memory footprint.
- Redesigned various database-intensive operations to greatly improve performance while still maintaining the same simple API.
- Rewrote a key multi-threaded background process to improve speed and reliability.
- Wrote and maintained Bash utilities used by customers to maintain their installations.
- Added an API annotation system that provided both parameter validation as well as API documentation.
Senior Front-end Engineer
Luno (via Toptal)
- Created various new user interfaces in a sophisticated React.js stack that used state management with Redux and universal rendering and data fetching.
- Implemented the form handling system used throughout the app.
- Supported a new UI with unit tests for the React.js components.
Senior Software Engineer
- Led the development of the main Ruby on Rails/Backbone.js customer-facing web app.
- Built 11 Ruby microservices to support various new features.
- Helped transition to a Docker infrastructure.
- Built a service to package microservices with Docker, streamlining the deployment pipeline.
- Led the development of the web apps for three new rapidly-developed products.
Institute for Systems Biology
- Developed and supported web applications for lab workflows, primarily using Ruby on Rails.
- Created data analysis pipelines using the R statistical language.
- Built image analysis tools using Java.
- Performed data analysis on data sets for various researchers.
- Demonstrated strong writing skills, authoring journal publications, grant applications, and internal documentation.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Bootstrap, Sinatra
Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Functional Programming, Database Design
Amazon Web Services (AWS), MacOS, Docker, Linux, OS X
PostgreSQL, Redis, MySQL
Sublime Text, Git
Bachelor of Science Degree in Biochemistry
Western Washington University - Washington