Verified Expert in Engineering
Machine Learning Developer
Chandrachud is an experienced machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) engineer. He studied at top schools in India and France and was, until recently, CTO of an early-stage AI startup. Chandrachud loves ML, computer vision, and large language models (LLMs) and has delivered high-quality work on various ML projects. He has been building and integrating multiple components to deploy AI systems in production on the cloud. Chandrachud loves to innovate and create cool technology.
Bitbucket, PyTorch, Sublime Text, Ubuntu, Google Cloud, Python
The most amazing...
...deep neural networks I've worked on include Mask R-CNN for real-time object detection and segmentation and open-weight LLMs for uncensored language generation.
Indie Machine Learning Engineer
- Developed a gun and human detection system for a client in the security industry, for deployment in schools, malls and other public places, to allow early detection of potential shootouts, and subsequent intervention by law enforcement agencies.
- Created a Telegram chatbot with both text and voice capabilities using an uncensored LLM (large language model) similar to ChatGPT but with fewer restrictions.
- Integrated a facial key point detection system with some bespoke elements and a web front end for a VR/AR (virtual reality/augmented reality) application in the fashion industry.
- Developed a computer vision system for parsing building floorpans (images, PDFs, other formats) and recognizing walls and rooms for downstream use in wireless network planning.
- Built a motion detection system based on background detection that works even against dynamic backgrounds (e.g., moving water, tree leaves, and more), based on state-of-the-art algorithms in the scientific literature.
- Built a scene text recognition pipeline using two deep neural networks, EAST for detection and ASTER for recognition, with fast and reliable performance.
- Contributed to aspect-based sentiment analysis using classical NLP methods and spaCy and a deep learning approach using BI-LSTM-CRF implemented in PyTorch.
- Adapted and combined a fast implementation of an RNN using Simple Recurrent Unit (SRU) with Relational Networks for question answering on Facebook Research's bAbI tasks, with excellent results.
- Used various third-party machine learning APIs like Google Cloud ML and Amazon Machine Learning to solve client problems.
- Collaborated on various other confidential projects for clients in computer vision, natural language processing, recommender systems, and other classic machine learning areas.
CTO | Computer Vision and AI Engineer
- Built the 1st proof of concept to turn the founder's idea into a startup with angel investors. This included computer vision, system design, and implementation. Continued to head the technical team going into commercialization.
- Developed the company's first product, a smart grocery basket that uses computer vision and ML to recognize the products added and removed by a customer and automatically compute the grocery bill.
- Headed the development of the company's next product after a pivot, a supermarket self-checkout monitoring and fraud detection system using computer vision, machine learning, and a stateful event detection system.
- Trained deep learning object detection and segmentation models with data augmentation and hyper-parameter tuning to obtain high accuracy. Conceived and built a highly modular and flexible computer vision pipeline for real-time video processing.
- Developed systems for deploying deep learning models in production using a Python, Flask, and Vue web stack, OpenCV and PyTorch for computer vision, and other confidential elements.
Deep Learning Intern
- Built a high-accuracy real-time object detection system for detecting players and the ball in live football video using state-of-the-art deep neural networks.
- Developed a high-accuracy multi-digit number recognizer for player jersey numbers using transfer learning from the SVHN dataset.
- Contributed core pieces of the technology that enabled SkillCorner to become a market leader in sports AI.
Paris School of Economics
- Served as an analyst on a project for Pôle Emploi, the French employment agency, to determine the effects of case-workers on placement rates of job seekers and evaluate the impact of using different levels of case-worker engagement.
- Implemented on Stata, a statistical software used by economists, an approach for bounding the treatment effect in case of differential response rates to surveys on treatment and control groups.
- Documented the data sources as well as the extraction, cleaning, and preparation pipeline we built during the project.
Macro & Quant Analyst
Shânti Asset Management
- Performed diverse roles, including research, pricing, risk management, performance analysis, investor communication, and in-house system development across the funds. Worked primarily in Mumbai with around two months per year spent at the Paris office.
- Worked on a wide variety of asset types, including asset-backed securities, inflation-indexed bonds, inflation swaps, government debt, credit default swaps, futures, options, emerging equities, currencies, and Asian convertible debt.
- Evaluated and monitored individual names in Asia ex-Japan on the basis of the strength of the issuer's cash flows and technical characteristics of the convertible bond. Built a binomial tree pricer for in-house valuation of CBs with embedded options.
- Monitored the latest developments in economic activity, inflation, and monetary and fiscal policies and researched investment ideas in credit and FX in EM Asia, CEE, and Latin America. Produced monthly macroeconomics chart books.
- Covered Indian macroeconomics as an input for sector and stock selection for the Indian equity fund. Authored the Economy and Society section of the monthly investor letter for the fund.
- Valued cash-flow CLOs (collateralized loan obligations) through 2008-09 and developed an excellent understanding of CLO characteristics and market. Also familiar with synthetic ABS CDOs held in the portfolio.
Telegram Chatbot Using an LLM and Voice Cloning
Facial Keypoint Detection and Integration into an AR Application
Building Layout Parsing and Recognition
Motion Detection Using Dynamic Background Subtraction
Real-time Object Detection
Scene Text Recognition
Aspect-based Sentiment Analysis
PyTorch, NumPy, FFmpeg, SpaCy, Scikit-learn, Spark ML, Keras, TensorFlow, Google Maps SDK, REST APIs, Node.js, Pandas, OpenCV, Socket.IO, Flask-RESTful, Vue, Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK)
Data Science, DevOps, Quantitative Research
Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Image Recognition, Image Processing, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Chatbots, Machine Vision, Convolutional Neural Networks (CNN), ChatGPT, AI Programming, Neural Networks, Algorithms, Data Analysis, GPU Computing, Full-stack, Reinforcement Learning, Facial Recognition, APIs, Corporate Finance, Generative Artificial Intelligence (GenAI), Large Language Models (LLMs), OpenAI, OpenAI GPT-3 API, Architecture, Integration, Speech to Text, Voice Recognition, Bots, Language Models, Audio, Software Architecture, Leadership, Hugging Face, SaaS, Prompt Engineering, Full-stack Development, Chatbot Conversation Design, Investment Banking, Quantitative Modeling, Finance, Team Leadership, Machine Learning Operations (MLOps), Back-end, Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 (GPT-3), OpenAI GPT-4 API, Text to Speech (TTS), modal, BERT, Deployment, Graph Theory, Investments, Accounts, Recurrent Neural Networks (RNNs), Long Short-term Memory (LSTM), Recommendation Systems, GeoPandas, Image Generation, AWS DevOps, LoRa
GStreamer, Flask, Express.js
Bitbucket, LaTeX, STATA, Weka, Sublime Text, TensorBoard, MATLAB, CAD, AWS CLI, Bloomberg
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), MacOS, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), NVIDIA CUDA, Docker, Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu
MySQL, Google Cloud
Master's Degree in Computer Science
Université Pierre et Marie Curie - Paris, France
Master's Degree in Economics & Public Policy
Sciences Po - Paris, France
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) - Bangalore, India
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
National Institute of Technology - Surathkal, India
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring