Principal Engineer2012 - PRESENTEmbedded Engineering Solutions
Technologies: Embedded Systems, C, IoT Protocols, Bluetooth LE, Xilinx Vivado, Embedded C, Embedded Software, Embedded Hardware, Firmware, Bluetooth, Internet of Things (IoT), ARM Embedded, WiFi, ESP32, FPGA, C#, Embedded Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Wireshark, Git, C++, Software Development, Code Composer Studio, MP LABX, Nordic nRF52, Industrial IoT, Nordic nRF51, FreeRTOS, Virtual Machines, Mbed, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Procedural Programming, Functional Programming
- Led a cross-functional contract engineering team ranging from four to 13 engineers completing a variety of projects for multiple customers.
- Built an electro-mechanical chest compressor product for automated CPR.
- Developed the test protocol for an embedded medical communication device for remote medical monitoring.
- Built a motor driver and pressure monitor for a blood pressure cuff for a medical kiosk.
- Designed a remote battery monitoring device for power monitoring with Azure IoT integration.
- Worked with a team building a smart pet door with automated controls, cloud integration with Azure IoT, and a mobile app for control.
- Designed an access control device that used a BLE connection to a mobile device and geofencing functionality to provide an indication of authorization for users to access controlled areas.
- Worked with a team designing an advanced LED control system driving up to 80 multi-color LEDs with simultaneous color mixing, patterns, and music synchronization.
- Designed an advanced irrigation control device running embedded Linux.
- Worked with a team designing an inventory control system with remote devices wirelessly communicating with a central on-site server and database.
Principle IoT Hardware Engineer2019 - 2020Fortune 100 CPG Company (via Toptal)
Technologies: Proximity, WiFi, AWS IoT, Embedded C, Embedded Systems, Embedded Software, Firmware, Bluetooth, Internet of Things (IoT), Bluetooth LE, C, ESP32, Git, Software Development, Nordic nRF52, IoT Protocols
- Built a remote IoT device to monitor product levels in a customized package.
- Developed a simple user interface to display product levels on a mobile device.
- Designed cloud support to notify the user of low product levels via text message or app notification.
- Built a proof-of-concept prototype to demonstrate system functionality.
- Demonstrated system functionality to relevant stakeholders, including multiple C-level executives.
Embedded Firmware Engineer2018 - 2018Switchmate (via Toptal)
Technologies: Internet of Things (IoT), WiFi, Bluetooth LE, C, Embedded C, Embedded Systems, Embedded Software, Firmware, Bluetooth, ARM Embedded, Git, Software Development, Nordic nRF52, Nordic nRF51, IoT Protocols
- Worked with a team developing a suite of IoT home automation products including light switches, power sockets, cameras, and sensors.
- Integrated all devices with both a cloud service and mobile devices.
Embedded Software Developer2016 - 2017WaterGuru, Inc. (via Toptal)
Technologies: Instruments, Atmel, Embedded C, Bluetooth LE, Embedded Systems, Embedded Software, Firmware, Bluetooth, Internet of Things (IoT), C, WiFi, Software Development, IoT Protocols
- Developed low-level functions to support communication over BLE via an external BLE controller.
- Defined and implemented an encrypted protocol for secure communication.
- Developed and verified random number generation using hardware entropy sources.
- Rewrote various functions to improve space efficiency.
- Implemented a secure, three-way handshaking protocol between the embedded device, mobile device, and server.
Engineering Manager, Industrial Products2009 - 2012Ecotality, Inc.
Technologies: Devices, Embedded Systems, Embedded C, Embedded Software, Embedded Hardware, Firmware, C, Wireshark, Software Development, Industrial IoT
- Developed and patented a unique methodology for measuring current on vehicle battery applications.
- Developed and patented a system for simultaneously charging multiple vehicle battery systems.
- Built an embedded interface platform that unified multiple independently maintained product platforms.
- Managed a multi-disciplinary team of engineers to develop new products for the industrial vehicle battery charging market.
- Developed a multi-site, multi-vehicle battery data monitoring and control system under a Department of Energy contract.
Lead Project Engineer2008 - 2009Power Efficiency Corporation
Technologies: Embedded Systems, Embedded C, Embedded Software, Embedded Hardware, Firmware, C, Software Development, MP LABX
- Led a team of engineers developing motor starters and energy-efficient motor drives.
- Implemented closed-loop control algorithms for output voltage control.
- Developed a test protocol used to validate all new products and functional changes.
- Implemented a system of bug tracking and revision control to improve quality and reduce field failures.
- Worked with the certifying authority to complete all necessary testing for UL certification of the product.
Embedded Systems Engineer2008 - 2008Aegis Technologies
Technologies: Embedded C, Embedded Java, Embedded Systems, Embedded Software, Embedded Hardware, Firmware, C, Java, Software Development
- Deployed a TCP/IP stack on an embedded encryption platform—used an existing stack customized for the specific needs of the application.
- Wrote an ARP implementation that was missing from the TCP/IP stack available for the embedded processor in the product.
- Developed the communication protocol to manage data transfer between two different embedded devices and ensured data integrity while minimizing latency.
- Developed hardware requirements to ensure compliance with strict electric utility communication protocols.
- Optimized embedded Java handling and packetization of data for improved throughput and reduced latency.