Founder | CTO2015 - PRESENTHive Collective
Technologies: Kubernetes, Docker, CoreOS, Ansible, Jenkins, ELK, Prometheus
- Delivered outstanding solutions to my clients' DevOps challenges by bringing our deeply experienced infrastructure veterans to work on the problems of promising early-stage and mature teams.
- Assembled and led what I consider to be the best team in the industry; they're ambitious yet genial, smart and ever-curious, and united by a common vision.
- Developed a company-wide focus of always creating value using technology rather than technology for its own sake.
DevOps Lead2015 - 2018ThoughtLeadr
Technologies: AWS, Docker, Terraform, Jenkins, ELK, Prometheus, Grafana, Large Riak Clusters
- Containerized the entire infrastructure of this advertising platform whose combined publisher base sees over 200 million unique visitors per month in the US alone.
- Redesigned the Jenkins-based continuous deployment system from the ground up to be able to autonomously create and destroy build pipelines and independent staging environments to match feature branches in Git.
- Migrated all infrastructure scripts to a modular Terraform codebase targeting multiple AWS regions.
- Put in place extensive visibility into operations, code, and key business performance indicators using the ELK stack and Prometheus and Grafana.
- Mentored the team on the benefits and best practices of Docker and worked closely with them to automate repetitive processes and generally streamline development workflows.
DevOps Lead2014 - 2015Gradient Labs
Technologies: Docker, AWS, CoreOS, ELK, New Relic
- Evolved a bleeding-edge microservices architecture to respond to the needs of the client companies of this technology and design consultancy, including managing all server infrastructure for the popular eLearning platform, Zulama.com.
- Retained total ownership of the entire staging and production infrastructure stacks for all the clients; also migrated live servers across AWS regions and implemented a server consolidation initiative.
- Acted as the primary technical advisor to the founder along with responsibilities far beyond DevOps including hiring development staff, managing developers on various sub-projects, Excel-cost projections, and researching and implementing various sweeping technical initiatives.
Manager of Software Development2006 - 2008CAST Software
Technologies: Visual C++, MFC, InstallShield, PowerShell
- Oversaw and facilitated all software development activity throughout the company, managing a cross-disciplinary team of software engineers working on two software products and one software/hardware project.
- Assigned department resources to projects, evaluated code quality, and monitored the deliverables of each team to ensure milestone and on-budget completion.
- Worked closely with the executive team, product management, quality assurance, and the sales and marketing arms of the company to communicate and collaborate on project requirements, timelines, and resources.
- Hired and onboarded new software developers.
- Managed off-site/telecommuting and contract employees and mentored and supervised multiple college interns.
- Migrated the department to new development tools, including Visual Studio 2008 and Subversion.