Duarte is a senior developer with over ten years experience building web applications, using rails and react. He has managed engineering teams, but still loves to code. Whether building product from scratch or integrating an existing team, he will be productive from Day One.
ExperienceRuby on Rails (RoR) - 11 yearsAgile - 11 yearsGit - 11 yearsAutomated Testing - 8 yearsStripe API - 6 yearsReact - 4 years
Chrome, Git, Atom, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've helped create is the leading European equity crowdfunding platform, with over $100 million invested in 150+ deals.
- Hired and managed the tech team.
- Helped to define the product and business model.
Toptal Client (NDA)
- Converted front end from a legacy framework into Vue.js.
Toptal Client (NDA)
- Created the Rails back end from scratch.
- Built integrations with Outlook and Gmail.
- Helped to build the React front end.
Toptal Client (NDA)
- Integrated app with a few GPS providers.
- Spearheaded the development team as its first hire, with the goal of building the initial MVP at a time when equity crowdfunding was an entirely new concept.
- Hired and managed the tech team after the initial product launch. The team grew to twelve developers organized into four sub-teams.
- Expanded the core product to handle new business cases, such as new payment methods, anti-fraud measures, investing in funds, investing in convertible equity rounds, and multiple currency support.
- Designed and developed tech solutions to strict regulatory and financial requirements, including a platform to reconcile financial operations and client funds daily.
- Evolved my own focus from strictly coding to Scrum master and product owner.
- Launched and managed an internal tool for staff members to review and approve the investment campaigns.
- Worked in close collaboration with other execs at the company.
- Bootstrapped the company with no initial investment by taking consulting projects with my two partners.
- Hired and coached a team that grew to four developers.
- Took active part in the implementation of the projects, ranging from simple admin interfaces to topical social networks and a railway passenger information system.
- Worked on a project for the Andalusian Autonomous Government, solving the infamous JAR class loading dependency hell they had.
- Learned how to sell projects to customers and sold a few of the most well-paid projects, including a remote project for the United Arab Emirates.
- Created a web framework based on J2EE and Vignette at a major banking institution in Spain.
- Implemented a Vignette-based ECM back-end solution and public site front end using jQuery, supporting old browsers—such as IE6—at a large chemicals company.
- Provided interim sysadmin services to the internal team, including VoIP and QoS setup, and VPN between the Lisbon and Madrid offices.
- Investigated the VoIP space for a potential new area of business, including a one-week hands-on crash course on the VoIP B2B market.
- Solved a big performance problem in a SWAT-like four-day intervention for a big telco in Morocco. The company had their website down for a few weeks, having called several experts before. With my findings and recommendations, they were able to finally recover it.
Thales APIS (via Byclosure)
Technologies used: C, GTK+
Technologies used: GNU gettext
Capybara, Ruby on Rails (RoR), React Native, Chrome, Selenium, Ember.js, Django REST Framework, GWT, Compass, Django
Stripe API, React, jQuery, Stripe, Susy, Google API, PhantomJS, Vue, Lodash
wkhtmltopdf, Cucumber, RSpec, Git, Apache Maven, Jekyll
Automated Testing, Agile, Test-driven Development (TDD), Scrum
Linux, MacOS, Jakarta EE, Twilio, Salesforce, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MySQL, MongoDB, Sphinx Search Engine, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Memcached
Business Models, Vignette, WebLogic, Cordova, Intercom
Master's Equivalent Degree in Computer Engineering
Instituto Superior Tecnico - Lisbon, Portugal
Certified Scrum Master
Scrum Alliance, Inc.